- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Who needs a club when the one thread works beautifully?!
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:30 pm
View Likes
beckiw says...

Knight Totoro crashed through yet another impossible web of underbrush as she made her way through the outer wilderness. Taking a few deep breaths and glancing down at the cuts adorning her hands, Knight Totoro shook herself and forged on. Though a hidden enemy soon made its presence known as Knight Totoro's foot caught on a root, tripping her and landing her face first in the ground.

"Curse this place!" Knight Totoro yelled, pulling herself up into a siting position.

Forlornly, she looked down at her boots, almost worn through from all her trekking through the Outer Lands. Knight Totoro knew her feet were riddled with blisters and calluses and it did little to improve her mood.

As she sat feeling sorry for herself a strange sound made itself known. A sort of lapping sound, like water against a rock or someone wading. Knight Totoro turned in the direction of the noise. What could it be? A new foe? Another Knight?

Looking into the darkness, waiting, she tried to see through the branches and weeds only to be met with a great snorting sound.

Knight Totoro jumped to her feet and ran towards the noise, not caring if stray branches caught her skin on the way exposing blood. Soon she came to a clearing. A small pond shimmered in the moonlight in the centre of a ring of trees and, halfway into the water, was a great auburn horse. The creature turned to her, noting her presence and seemingly cocked it's head. Its mane was matted and no saddle adorned its back.

"Hey there..." Knight Totoro murmured, not wanting to spook the animal. "What are you doing out here alone?"

Obviously the horse did nothing in response, so Knight Totoro began to approach closer. Feeling strangely enthralled by this lonesome horse. She raised a palm carefully as she neared but the creature didn't move and soon Knight Totoro's hand was gently stroking its nose.

"I like you," Knight Totoro smiled.

She rubbed from its nose up to its ears and then an idea struck. "Hey...you don't look like you have anyone. Want to be mine? I could do with a horse."

The horse exhaled loudly and nudged Knight Totoro, making her laugh.

"Ok, I'll call you...Ponyo. Yeah, that fits. Like a water horse."
'The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.' - Hayao Miyazaki

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 pm
View Likes
Trident says...

Sir Trident was shopping for rides. His feet were so tired and he needed some new legs to carry him around if he was going to keep all this hero-ing stuff up.

There were strong, robust palfreys. There were swift rounceys, speedy coursers, and even a rare destrier the size of mountain.

Sir Trident rattled the few coins he had left in his pouch. He poured them into his hand. "What will this get me?"

The horse merchant laughed, his deep belly rumbling. "That will get you that little runt!" he said, pointing to a young sickly mule.

Sir Trident pressed the coins into the merchant's hand. He picked up the youngling mule full in his arms and started off toward home. His feet still had a little left in them.

Sir Trident has acquired Timid, the Warrior Mule!

35 reviews down.
Perception is everything.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:28 pm
View Likes
Cspr says...

-raises hand- I can become a squire? -thinks of the Chronicles of Prydain- In other news, do most people not review Green Room stuff? 'Cause I look there when I need something to review. O.o Hmm.

1. work.php?id=99737
2. work.php?id=99777
3. work.php?id=99756
4. work.php?id=99719
5. work.php?id=99735#c350836
6. work.php?id=99820
7. work.php?id=97826
Last edited by Cspr on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.
My SPD senses are tingling.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

The Long (Delayed) and Storied Tale of How Knight Kyllorac Acquired Aegis, Armor, Steed, Shrubbery, Lance, and Land

Wherein Words Were Wronged, Markers Missed, Tenses Twisted, Imagery Impaired, Story Saved, and Alliteration Abused

As Recounted by Knight Kyllorac in the Third Person

It all began with the initial mission: Clear the Green Room of All Works.

Squire Kyllorac rose swiftly in the ranks and soon attained Knighthood, shortly thereafter bettering a Second Boar, as the first one did not count due to Squireship, and Acquiring a Trusty Blade while Assisting a Fellow Knight, in that order. Emboldened by such victories, three of which were won Without Arm or Armor, Knight Kyllorac sallied forth to do battle with greater and greater foes, before Encountering a Fourteen-Year-Old Midget Giant capable of Punch-Slamming People into Walls Ten Feet Away.

It was a fearsome battle, and Knight Kyllorac would have been Pulped, had the Knight not the Fortuitous Foresight to shield Kyllself with the Ladle hung over the Stinky Stewpot. The Midget Giant Punched the Ladle, leaving a Fist-Shaped Imprint of Midget Giant's Right Hand in the metal, which absorbed most of the shock of the blow, allowing Knight Kyllorac to issue a resounding Left Hook to Midget Giant's Nose, sending the Undersized Giant into a flurry of Apologetic Tears.

After the Midget Giant swore to never again bully the Normal-Sized-but-Tiny-by-Even-Midget-Giant-Standards humans of the area, and to instead Behave Honorably and With Decorum, Knight Kyllorac sauntered away Victorious, the Ladle-Shield as Trophy and Kit.

The very next day, Knight Kyllorac came upon a More Monstrous Work, for not only was it Great in Girth, but it was blissfully Wrong-Worded. The Vocabularic Confusion was so great, Knight Kyllorac considered it Kyllself's Sacred Duty to Lecture the Work on the Importance of Wording Well.

Thus Edified, the Work Awarded Knight Kyllorac a Broom Bucket to the Head, which Knight Kyllorac Gladly Accepted for the Standard Knight Kit did not include Head Protection unless one could afford it up-front, and Rich though Knight Kyllorac was in Determination and Ambition, Rich in Coin Knight Kyllorac was not.

It is at this point that Knight Kyllorac would like to admit to some Employment of Artistic License (and Mismemory). Knight Kyllorac would hope that such does not detract from one's Enjoyment of This Story.

And so it was that Knight Kyllorac plunged Ever Deeper into the Deep Dark Depths of the Outer Realms, turning about occasionally to ensure that No New Threats Went Unmolested. It was during one of these turnabouts that Knight Kyllorac heard Frantic Whinnying from up above and Glanced Up in Perfect Time to Witness a Wingless Horse Mid-Flight. As the Airborne Equine Zipped and Zoomed through the sky, Knight Kyllorac Marveled and Wondered at how such a Wingless Horse had attained flight. Such Marveling and Wondering sufficed to Break Suspension of Disbelief sufficiently long enough for the Airborne Equine to fall from the sky and land upon Knight Kyllorac with only a Vengeance that Broken Suspension of Disbelief could muster.

Fortunately for everyone and -thing involved, Broom and Ladle performed their functions Most Admirably, and so Knight Kyllorac survived only Somewhat Squished, with the horse only Somewhat Stunned. Once the Knight had Wriggled Free of the Flight-Freed Horse's most Notable Weight and Girth, Knight Kyllorac and the Gratefully Grounded Steed proceeded to Make Friends, and thus did the Knight and Horse become Lifelong Partners.

It was during a Particularly Prolonged Excursion into the Outer Realms that Knight Kyllorac at last Acquired Full Armor, discovering it hanging from a Tree of Poe in a clearing deep within the frigidness of the Outer Realms. As All Tales of Yore Will Tell, Tree-Hung Armor is Always Indicative of Great Trials Involved in Its Acquisition, and as Knight Kyllorac was Not In the Mood for More Great Trials on top of the ones the Knight had already accepted and intended to fulfill, the Knight instead rode Zippy-Zoom, the Aptly-Named Faithful Steed, through the clearing at speed and Snagged the Armor Off the Tree, claiming a Piece of Shrubbery with it.

As Zippy-Zoom Zipped and Zoomed father into the Outer Lands, Fey Voices Raised in Anger could be heard issuing from the direction of the Tree of Poe, which Swiftly Faded with Distance.

Not one to tempt Fate or Fae, Knight Kyllorac rode Zippy-Zoom hard into the night, until Zippy-Zoom could Zip or Zoom no more. It was then that the Faithful Duo came upon a Village-Town deep within the Outer Lands, a most Rare and Unusual Sight. The Village-Town -- of which the Village was named Squabville, after their Most Prosperous Industry, and the Town named Columbaton, a More Dignified Name in Honor of Their Formerly Shared Livelihood -- was a Bittersweet Community lead by a Mayor Pigeon, who had Long Ago gone off to War in the Lands of Debate, and Never Returned.

The Village-Town Rejoiced at the Sight of a Knight, for they had long been battling solo against a Most Insidious Foe: Penguins. With Great Enthusiasm and Fanfare, the Village-Townsfolk welcomed Knight Kyllorac and Bestowed upon the Knight a Most Legendary Lance, Descriptively Named Jabber after its Most Primary Function. With such a Great Gift bestowed, Knight Kyllorac was thusly Obligated to Fight for the Village-Town against their most Dreadful Foe, and Long and Hard did Knight Kyllorac Fight, repelling Wave After Wave of Dastardly Penguins. And for a time, Knight Kyllorac appeared to have prevailed against the Flightless Birds, and as it grew Later and Later, and Knight Kyllorac grew Tireder and Tireder, the Knight Called It a Night and Went to Slumber...

But the Flightless Birds were Most Insidious and Crafty. They waited for the Knight to Slumber, and once they were assured of the Depth of Knightly Dreaming, they Struck. Deep in the Night, they Snuck into Squabville, and while most of them were caught by the Traps Knight Kyllorac set up beforehand, Two Beguiling Beasts made their way to the Breeding Cote and Blended In by way of Penguin Wiles, with None, not even the Most Experienced of Breeders, able to tell them apart from the True Pigeons.

And so the Squabs of Squabville would never again be the same.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 am
View Likes
dogs says...

My dear fellow Trident suggested I attempt to join this magnificent group! I Shall immediately acquire those reviews! Wish my luck! I hope to join your ranks momentarily.

1. work.php?id=99741
2. work.php?id=99730
3. work.php?id=99708
4. work.php?id=99726
5. work.php?id=99739
6. work.php?id=99764
7.work.php?id=99784
8. work.php?id=99776
9. work.php?id=99775
10. work.php?id=99766

I herby announce the completion of my squireness! I hope to be knighted soon and join this marvelous group.
Last edited by dogs on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178

92 Reviews

Reviews: 92

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

As the unexpected battle thrashes in pouty misery ("I can't believe we missed them! I told you we shouldn't have stopped for pork on the way...") on the field of the Green Room, two new brave knights step out of the brambles of the Outer Lands only momentarily to receive their Knighthood. YWS gratefully welcomes their two new champions: Knight Shino and Knight of the Wind. Then YWS steps back and waits to see what these new knights will do with their brand new titles.

Image Image

Knight Shino, Knight of the Wind
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

Out of the secret glades and silent oases of open grass comes a tired squire who fought for ages and gained honor without anyone even knowing. He at last crawls in from the Outer Lands and demands not only his title, but his sword, shield, and helmet as well. YWS cheers for his true and humble work.

Knight Louis

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

The freshest of fresh, a fresh-faced squire comes before her kingdom of YWS and kneels to receive her title. Once Squire Sea, now a fully fledged Knight, they will cheer for her in the streets with less alliteration but more fervor:

Knight Sea! Knight Sea! Knight Sea!

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

The Royal Stats

Here is where we stand at the dawning of this new day:

16 / 25 of the knights required to lift the lock
(In addition, 13 squires have made at least one review toward knighthood!)

491 / 600 reviews required to prove our honor

5 / 5 horses required to drag the object out from where it is sequestered

Still with works from as close as November 2nd, 2012 in the 0 reviews section of the literary works. That is without mentioning the terribly late reinforcements that have shown up to clutter our once clear horizon.

Fight on, good knights! Victory is in sight.

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 pm
View Likes
Hannah says...

He heard of our victory while the blood was still running from the freshly-defeated beasts on the horizon, and that was what decided it. Let the kingdom of YWS welcome their newest knight out of squirehood, the honorable Knight Tucker.

Knight Tucker

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Through many long and gruesome battles, fighting off bad grammar and cliches with no weapons to assist her, Knight Lady Shady has finally encountered foes carrying a sword. After slaying the adversaries with nothing but her bare hands, she seized the sword as her own, and named it Sting.

In the process, Squire megsug's work stumbled by, and Knight Lady Shady saved it from the clutches of the Green Room.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

i love me some swole chickens
— yosh