Young Writers Society

Somewhere Brighter

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:46 am
View Likes
TinyDancer says...

Spoiler! :
I wrote this for someone close to me who discovered that her man was a liar and was cheating with one of her closest friends. The song itself has a bluesy feel to it, with lots of slides and complicated rhythms. So, if the stanzas flow kind of weird, that's why. It makes sense with the music though, I promise! The lyrics are still in rough draft phase, so much commenting and improving and suggesting is strongly invited. These are the first lyrics I've ever posted, so I hope you guys like them!

~Jess

I feel your pain
I know what it feels like
To be followed by the rain
I can see the hurt
Tearing through your heart
But if you give me your hand,
I'll pull you up, help you stand again

Listen to the music
Let it soothe your worried soul
Pour your heart into the melody
Give it the secrets that you hold
And don't you think for a moment
That I'm not by your side
You can call me in the morning,
Evening, noon, or night

I know it's not fair
The way his memory
Lingers everywhere
And if I could, you know
I'd make it disappear
So tell me your regrets,
And I'll do my best
To help you forget

Listen to the music,
Let it soothe your worried soul
Pour your heart into the melody
Give it the secrets that you hold
And don't you think for a moment
You can call me in the morning,
Evening, noon, or night.

Don't think for a moment
Just call me any time of day
Morning, noon, or night
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:23 pm
View Likes
JudyG710 says...

I'm not really much of a lyric person, but I really liked this one. It was charming, entertaining, and I felt a sense of loyalty after reading it. It was very enjoyable, and I believe you should continue with what you do. :D Keep writing and may the Force be with you!
"Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear." - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen
JudyG <3

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:38 pm
Napier says...

This was great, ideas within the lyrics were wonderful, with a sadness that spoke to me and a comfort that outlined the whole piece, reassuring and kind. I'm glad you chose blues as the genre, as I can really hear this being sung to a blues track- it just suits the lyrics so well, so nice call there.

I really want to hear it being played properly, because, as you said, the flow of the stanzas wasn't perfect when read normally, so being put to music would help a heck of a lot. That's pretty much the only complaint I have, and even that is fixed easily by hearing the song in it's right context. Are you planning on performing or recording this? Even if you just have a guitar, or know someone else with a guitar or a band, I thoroughly suggest you get this recorded and posted here; with the right context these lyrics will be improved tenfold.

Overall, this was an awesome piece. You should be pleased and proud!
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 pm
JabberHut says...

Hi, Dancer!

So I have to say that for a first-timer, this was really well done. There some gorgeous moments in here that are just... really awesome. Much kudos to you on that! And thank you for clarifying about the flow. It just made the song a whole lot better. ;)

I seriously only have one suggestion to make, and that is if it's possible to give more background as to the situation at hand. The song itself is very comforting most of the time! Which is awesome. I love those kinds of songs. I think with this one, since it alludes to the cheater you mentioned in your author's note, a little more meat to the story would benefit the listener. They'll appreciate what's being said better because they'll understand the situation! It doesn't have to be a significant info-dumping either. Just a couple arrows nudging us in the right direction.

But that's seriously all I have. You have such wonderful phrasing. Ooer, I did just catch something, though! The title doesn't seem to fit the song. I assume it's a cheer-up title for a cheer-up song, but it would be nice for the song to tie in with the title a bit more. For instance, I figured it had some significance to the time of days mentioned, but day came up just as much as night did, so that didn't make much sense. Something to look into!

Great job for your first time though. :D It was very well done. Like I said, I'm a fan of songs with this kind of message. ;)

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn