ZombieSquirrel says...

DROWN ME

You held me underwater,
Waiting for me to drown,
But I have died once before,
Your knife is still in my back,
Still slick with my blood.

Take it out and cut my throat, drowning didn't work,
Now i'm bleeding, silent screaming, but I still survive.

You said I shot our friendship dead,
Maybe I did, but you loaded it,
My hands stink of blood,
And my heart burns in my chest,
At least I tried my best,
But tears still stain my cheeks.

Bleeding black and Locusts force their way from my skin,
As I fall apart I'm glad to be dead,
I didn't give in, you didn't end me.

532 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 532
Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:47 am
View Likes
GeeLyria says...

Oh wow.

Hi there, ZombieSquirrel.

I love how you put so much emotion into this poem. Great imagery, you chose amazing words, and it flows neatly. Although, in the second stanza, you didn't capitalized an 'i'. But other than that, this is brilliant. The way you started is catchy, makes me wonder what the hell is happening. xD And the way you describe those simple situation is just amazing!

Keep writing!

~Solly<3
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:55 am
View Likes
amygabb says...

Wow. Such great emotion. I'm sorry about your friendship, but you used it to make something quite good. I am going to give you some suggestions:

You held me underwater,
Waiting for me to drown. [color=#FF0000](I think this should be a period.)
[/color]But I have died once before,
Remaining slick with my blood.

Yank it out and cut my throat, drowning didn't work,
Now I'm bleeding, silent screaming, but I survive. (You used 'still' a lot so I would take it out here.)

Maybe I did, but you loaded the gun, (I love this part!)
My hands stink of blood,

Bleeding black and locust (No capital and the you don't need an 's' since locus is already plural.) force their way from my skin,
As I fall apart, I'm glad to be dead,

So those were some things I would look at. Overall, I connected with the first and third stanzas. They were very powerful. I had a friend like that once. I woke up and realized she wasn't worth it. It hurt but sometimes friendships end. (So that was my philosophical lecture of the day.) Thanks so much for sharing this poem.
Life is not about how you sing in the sun, it is about how you dance in the rain.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 am
ZombieSquirrel says...

Thank you both so much! I never thought I was any good, I always thought I was just average o.o Never thought I could make people feel anything. Thank you both. :D

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Hi, Zombie!

You've really got fantastic imagery, which is undoubtedly where that emotion is coming from. You had some really great moments, too, with the way you phrase certain lines and your choice of words. I'll have to take this stanza by stanza, actually. I don't any initial points to make besides the good ones. ;)

You held me underwater,
Waiting for me to drown,
But I have died once before,
Still slick with my blood.

It was awkward to read -- I had to read it two or three times to get it right -- but once I understood, I thought this was a great way to start. Considering it's called "Drown Me," starting with an image of drowning really benefited the song. The knife bit, I'm unsure about. At least, it doesn't feel like it belongs in the same stanza as drowning since those are two different deaths. Drowning is a feeling of suffocation while being stabbed in the back is a sharp pain in your chest. They're a bit different!

Take it out and cut my throat, drowning didn't work,
Now i'm bleeding, silent screaming, but I still survive.

The rhythm here worked surprisingly well. Very nice! Though again, I'm not sure about the bleeding plus drowning. That kind of connection might require more lyrics to the song to explain the situation at hand more -- help the listener understand what the singer is getting at.

Maybe I did, but you loaded it,

My hands stink of blood,

I just love that bold couplet. Your choice of words to indicate the metaphor of a gun? Seriously, that is fantastic.

We got the heartburn, yay! More blood, yay! And now we introduce a new image that wasn't alluded to before -- tears. It's one of those random lines that could require more foreshadowing. By that I mean, before this, I didn't imagine the speaker was sad. I imagined him more angry or upset. But I didn't see tears coming, so it threw me off a bit. Something to look at!

Bleeding black and Locusts force their way from my skin,
As I fall apart I'm glad to be dead,

Your lines here are just awesome. Seriously, you have a great choice in words/phrasings. My only concern is what this has to do with the rest of the song! Tie it all together. That last stanza should make sense, but the final line here only confused me more. How did that person not end the singer? D: He was complaining about it the whole time!

So while your imagery and vocabulary/structure is excellent, probably work on tying it all together so that it makes sense according to the subject at hand. Of course, maybe it's just me. ;) Very nice, though! I look forward to seeing more work by you!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:58 pm
View Likes
LiesOnLies says...

This was reall great although I didn't see the point of the locust being in there, but that's not a really big problem. It was great over all

Keep up the good work

But even the worst decisions we make don't necessarily remove us from the circle of humanity.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore