z

Young Writers Society

Back Porch Swing

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:08 am
JabberHut says...

K, I was listening to this piano solo by Lorie Line and decided, what the heck, I'll make up my own lyrics. They just came out at me. I hope they're alright. I dunno, I'm not much of a song writer.

Back Porch Swing

Oh, what's the life without
the stars in the sky?
Oh, what's the life without the sun?
What if the trees and the flow'rs
remain beautiful as they seem?
Oh, what's the life without you
on my back porch swing?

the fishes swimming in the seas?
Oh, what's the life without the birds?
What if I sit next to thee
and to thee this song I will sing?
on my back porch swing?

If I had a star from the sky,
then I would let it go--let it go;
it would shine brighter just like you--you would.
Then I'll hold you in my arms
and this is what I'll say!

the stars in the sky?
Oh, what's the life without the sun?
I'll hold you in my arms
and this is what I'll say:
on my back porch swing?

Yeah, um...there ya go. *shrug* I always wanted to just write it down to see how it looked. *tilts head* I dunno what to make of it. I'm not a poet, and I know it.
I make my own policies.

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:16 am
thethinkerofthoughts says...

:D Well done. Very poetic, kind of traditional in an old way, which (in contradictory terms) makes in fresh! Like many great songs and poems, it's simple- which is what makes it effective!This is emphasised by use of "thee". Repetion of "What's life Like..." is very good for a memorable song. What kind of music would be it's accompaniment? Personally, I think acoustic guitar would go well with it

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:28 am
Alteran says...

It was very pleasent. You kept a rythm, which many song writers lack sometimes. I didn't really draw much from it personally though. It's probably just me though.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:04 pm
Rydia says...

It's simple and repetitive and generally very pleasant. This was easy to read, even without music, and I love the first stanza. As a poem, it would probably be too unoriginal for me but it works perfectly as a song. You say it is to go with someone's piano solo? Well I've never heard Lorie Line play but I think piano would work just fine here.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:32 pm
sokool15 says...

yeah, this was really sweet. It made me say 'awwww' and grin appreciatively, so there you go. I liked it. I don't know what melody you're hearing, but I can definitely hear some soft, sentimental piano to it....good job!

Cheers! 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:17 pm
Lynlyn says...

Like someone else said, I'm not sure how well this would stand alone as a poem, but as lyrics it's a nice piece. I like the soft repetition, it sort of reminds me of someone rocking on a swing... text painting, yay! Acoustic guitar or some light piano... or both... would go nicely with this, in my opinion.

The only things I thought were iffy: the use of "thee," simply because it seems a little out of character with the rest of the song. The lyrics are pretty casual, but "thee" is kind of a lofty word.

Also, I didn't understand this part: if the stars shine brighter when you let them go, just like he does (I'm assuming it's a she and a he for the purposes of this review ;)) then why is she holding on to him? It almost sounds to me like she's saying "I have to let go of you so that you can be free and shine" but then the next verse is "No, I'll hold onto you forever!" so I felt like it was a little contradictory. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it! I love it, though. Great imagery, if you end up with music to go with this make sure you let me hear it. ;)
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:20 am
JabberHut says...

I completely forgot I posted this. :shock:

Anyway, thanks for all your reviews. More are, of course, welcome. I'm still wondering when I thought this up...=/

Whatever. Thank you ^_^

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:18 pm
UNiiV3RSALWRiiT3R says...

Great rhythm but, this should be apoem instead of song lyrics
Hey look at this...I think its good..Tell me what you think of it.
topic25536.html

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:39 am
busboys and poets says...

Simple and pleasing to the inner ear; I'd love to hear it performed. While the ideas aren't very original, the images themselves are vivid and well-presented, especially the image of the lovers on the back-porch swing. Brava!
I decline to accept the end of man.

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:10 pm
Teh Wozzinator says...

thethinkerofthoughts wrote::D Well done. Very poetic, kind of traditional in an old way, which (in contradictory terms) makes in fresh! Like many great songs and poems, it's simple- which is what makes it effective!This is emphasised by use of "thee". Repetion of "What's life Like..." is very good for a memorable song. What kind of music would be it's accompaniment? Personally, I think acoustic guitar would go well with it

I have nothing to say that (s)he didn't say already. It's really good, Jabber! lol... It was kind of hard to read--but all songs are. I would like to actually hear it. And acoustic guitar or piano would go with it...

Hey, I can play both!

:D

Teh Wozzinator
Go K-State for North Division!!

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:44 pm
thewritingdoc says...

You are definitley a poet, never say you're not.
You know, I have encountered you on YWS many times and each and every time I ask you to review something, tell you it's poetry and you go, oh, I'll try and then you give me some amazing advice.
Never put yourself down Jab, you have the potential to be anything you want to be.
And I know that you are strong enough, because I've spoken to you, and you're great, really.
I wanted to say thanks for all the crits you've done for me and tell you I think this is absolutely beautiful.
So, uhm, thanks, I guess.
You should do more poetry.
    I'd rather write about this world than live in it
    and I'd rather play music all day
    and read and wander around bookstores
    and watch humans
    but not be one of them.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:02 am
View Likes
MSDavies says...

I really like how you kept good rhythm and repetition in your poem. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I think it would do much better as for instance, lyrics to a song? Food for thought. Otherwise, fantastic job. Also, a review on one of my pieces would be greatly appreciated. I love constructive criticism. Thank you for posting this so that others may enjoy it. Keep on writing.(:

--Maya
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”--Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson