Young Writers Society

2020 NaPo Information Center

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

2020 NaPo Information Center

Hello and welcome to the information center for National Poetry Month! You can check in here for the latest information, leave comments about how your poetry journey is going, leave encouragement for your fellow poets, or questions if you have any. Please feel free to post links for workshops, poetry jams, or write-ins you're hosting here too! We'll also be collecting all the important links here and the index of all the 2020 NaPo threads here for easy access.

Good luck in your poetry writing everyone, we look forward to reading your poetry!

What is National Poetry Month aka NaPo?

National Poetry Month happens every April and traditionally is a challenge to write 30 poems during the month of April, one each day of the month. You don't have to write 30 poems to participate, but we'd love to challenge you to try! However if you only have time for a couple poems we'd still love to have you join us, in fact there'll even be a badge available for those who write 15 poems this year. Here on YWS National Poetry Month is a time where we celebrate all things poetry, and they'll be workshops, write-ins, special challenges, and even badges to earn to help support our poets.

To participate in National Poetry Month make a thread in this forum to collect all of your poems written in April. This event starts April 1st and runs through the month of April, the hard and fast rule is no poetry can be written before April 1st and count towards NaPo. You will need to post the poems in your thread to be elligible for the special badges at the end of the month - [information thread for badges coming soon] - also we would ask you to please choose "comments welcome" as a sticker on your thread if you are open to comments, and refrain from commenting on threads that don't have the sticker. Leaving comments in other people's poetry threads is a great way to participate and encourage each other during the month.

2020 Important NaPo Links

2020 NaPo Recap

Contest Thread with Badge Information

2020 April Madness

2020 NaPo Buddies Information

Prompt Central

NaPo Goals

YWS Poetry Resources & Knowledge Base

YWS Poetry Discussions
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Index of 2020 NaPo Threads

Jaybird the life of an american teenager
Arcticus the name of all things
fraey i liked it better when my fears were faceless
Hattable as the last star dies
nogutsnoglory Menthol Cigarettes in the Springtime
Ventomology The Song and Dance of the Regional Epicenter
Elinor I kept looking because of the girls
TheSilverFox spring waits for no one
Hannah there is power in boulders and power in silk
AvantCoffee remember
soundofmind resurrected man
hiraeth Soul so Full
Sheyren I Dropped The Ibuprofen
Meshugenah distance, distraction, dissociation
Apricity slanted sunbeams
Traves the weight of my word
Querencia tacenda
JabberHut Dribbles and Drables; in poetry, I Dabble!
BluesClues I should be sleeping but my heart is awake
bluewaterlily tell me a fairy tale
niteowl weathered, yes, but still standing
fortis Picayune Poetry
Sachiko (your ghosts will always welcome you home)
CaptainJack Living Life in a Lonesome Roadhouse
MeherazulAzim16 thus spoke the man of war
amelie the teenager begs to die
PrincessInk snaphots of a life I thought I knew
TriSARAHtops until we meet again
Lauren2010 telling the bees
RoseAndThorn Love and Sickness
Corvid we will be gods
Hedwiggle for the first time
LZPianoGirl Maybe I'll Do This...
EternalRain hestia by the hearth
mckaylaam 3am thoughts
Rin321 I'm Gonna try it!
Lavvie this tender self
DJTurkey transcript of a wandering soul
neptune stranded at sea
StellaThomas the eventuality of caesar
Scarlettfire still haven't found what we're looking for
alliyah i swear all the birds will live until the end
Liminality Language and the Human Race
EverLight Song of the Rising Star
Cadi Dragon: Disconnected
Willard degrassi fan fic written during a mental break
ellasnotebook a time for peace
Holysocks by the metre
EthanHoover Golden Canvasses
Mea a few scattered sticky notes
MadagascarMaiden i love poetry
PenguinAttack Discourse
Tenyo I Just Want to Feel Included
tgirly Recalling What is Essential
erilea we'll see how this goes
bpmzcpl April Poetry
AstralHunter Leaves Fall from the Rowan Tree
CqpM8012 Cluster of poems
polishcommonwealth Historical Poems
IamI IamI's NaPo
LadyVendetta My Life Revolves Around Other People's Whispers
nollibee natural pockets wrinkled mostly
alliyah cheap cheap software
Katteex Choices made and in the making
MiniGem26 Um.. Gem's NaPoWriMo poembox?
starlit mind I hope it's not too late cx
GirlWithATypewriter My Heart's Will
Lia5Gibha Welcome to the World of Your imagination
Awru Blood turned to Ink
Gravitem I think I lost my mind

1227 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:19 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Just 10 Days Until National Poetry Month! Are you excited yet?

While you're waiting for National Poetry Month to start, just a reminder -> all badge/contest information has now been posted here (in order to get badges for the 30 poem/15 poem challenges your poetry must be posted in your thread during April - so if you're doing extra delightful poetry before we start, don't forget to adjust your counts.)

Also if you want comments please use the Comments Welcome sticker (which is available when you edit your opening post) and if you don't see the sticker on someone's thread, don't comment in their thread - try sending a wall comment or messenger pigeon instead.

Lastly, don't forget to check out these cool threads:

*2020 NaPo Buddies Sign-Up (Due April 1)
*April Madness Sign-Up (Due April 3)
*Share your NaPo Goals with the world!
*Collect poetry prompts before the event starts at the Poetry Prompt Party

And during or before National Poetry Month if you have any information /updates /shout-outs /write-ins /contests /encouragement or anything else poetry related you'd like to share with everyone - please feel free to post in this thread! I'm really excited to read all of your poetry! :)

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 pm
View Likes
MadagascarMaiden says...

whats a thread and how do i make one. im new to all this computer stuff. thanks.

1227 Reviews

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:34 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@MadagascarMaiden

A thread is a post in a forum section where other posts can be made.
All of the links in the "index of 2020 NaPo threads" that you see in the above post are links to threads people have made to post their poems during National Poetry Writing Month (NaPo) which is our poetry event that runs during April.

To make your own thread to post your own poetry for National Poetry Month please follow these directions:
Spoiler! :

1) You'll need to go to where the rest of the NaPo threads are by getting to the Main NaPoWriMo Forum Section. To do this, scroll to the top of this page and click "NaPoWriMo" (right above the first post in this thread) it should lead you here.

You can also get to the main forum at any time by clicking the black Forum Tab at the top of your screen and then if scroll to the bottom (right above the online users listed) you'll see the link for the "NaPoWriMo" forum as well.

2) Once in the Main Forum click the button near the top that says "Post a new topic". After clicking it, you'll see a screen where you can input text.

3) Choose the option under "Topic Tag" for either "Comments Welcome" (if you would like comments from other members in your thread) or for "No Comments" (if you don't want other comments in your thread)

4) Write text in the "Subject" line to choose the title for your NaPo Thread.

5) Write whatever you want in the main text box, either about your goals or why you're doing NaPo.

6) Click "Submit" (under the main text box) and you should be good to go!

----

Once you've done that you should see your thread posted with all the other threads, and you can return to it during the month of April (National Poetry Month) to post your own poems you've written inside your NaPo thread.

You can choose to post however many poems you want. If you do 15 poems during April you can get a badge, if you do 30 you get a badge, and if you do 1 every day during April you get a badge. More information about how to earn badges and contests here.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 am
View Likes
MadagascarMaiden says...

ok i did what u said to do but when i looked for my thread i couldn't find it. any ideas? my thread was called 'i love poetry'. thanks! :-D

1227 Reviews

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@MadagascarMaiden

I don't know, I checked your posts and it doesn't appear like one went through for a thread. I would go through the instructions again exactly as listed, if you can't get it make another comment here and I will just make you a thread, though it won't show as being posted by you.

1227 Reviews

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:40 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Happy First Day Of NaPo Everyone!!!

Hopefully you've all settled on a thread name you're satisfied with and have started spinning out some wonderful poetry verses! I've already seen some good poems here!

If you see any poems during NaPo that you want to give a shout-out (either a few lines, or the whole poem, or whole thread even) I've started a thread in the lounge for that and would love if you used it to encourage each other during NaPo! :)

Also feel free to post anything poetry related at all in this thread too - poetry jams, questions, contests, prompts, sponge-bob gifs, whatever works!

Best of luck to you all, you are a poet!

(also if I missed anyone's thread in the index above or wrote the name incorrectly it is not intentional, and just let me or someone in PCrew know and we can add it!)

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:44 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Hey poeters! Writing poems for a whole month isn't always easy, and I know that I can start to feel the weight of it a few days in—so I made this motivational image with photos of my cat to give you all encouragement <3

1227 Reviews

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:41 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

One Week Done!

We made it through the first week NaPo goers! And there's been some fantastic poetry so far!

If you're starting to run out of ideas for poems - try taking a look through the Prompt Center (there's over 100 prompts in there by the way).

If you need some friends to write with, join the Poetry Jam Club where you can watch for Poetry Jams or post your own!

And lastly, the NaPoWriMo Shout-out Thread is still open if you see any poems you need to give a shout-out! :)

Good luck everyone! One word at a time, we're making it!

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:44 pm
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Hello poets! Get ready to...

Speak Your Mind!

Head on over to the Speak Your Mind thread where you can post a voice recording of your favourite NaPo poem and listen to others bring their own poetry to life.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say! ;)

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:43 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Week Two Accomplished!

And we've made it through the first two weeks of NaPo! Woohoo! We are just about half-way through the month. Are you keeping up with your goals? If not, there is still plenty of time to catch back up!

This is a good time to take stock of your thread and decide whether you need to pick up the pace or write significantly more chicken-related-poetry before the end of the month. :smt117

Another good opportunity to check out is the Speak your Mind thread where you can share a reading of the poetry you're working on!

Spoiler! :

Oh! Hello! Did you perhaps need a random poetry prompt? Write a poem inspired by dystopian themes or your favorite dystopia novel/movie - may the odds be ever in your favor!

1227 Reviews

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

ONE WEEK LEFT!

We're so close to the finish line poets! With one week remaining, there's still time to catch up to your goals though if you fell a bit behind. There's even some brave poets who joined NaPo this week! Whoop whoop! (Welcome friends ) Watch out for last minute poetry jams in this last week.

Best of luck to you all finishing up your poetry writing!

A reminder that if you earned a badge by posting 15 poems, 30 poems, a poem every day, or attending 5 poetry jams etc -> please post in the NaPo Badge & Contest Thread.

1227 Reviews

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:55 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

ONE DAY LEFT

We've made it to the end of NaPo! Whether you've written 1 poem or 50 poems, thank you for sharing your poetry on the site this month. We did it!

If you haven't taken some time to read some of the poems outside of your own thread I can't recommend it enough, there are some seriously beautiful poems that have been written this month (the shout out thread is also still open for buisiness if you stumble across some poetry you want to highlight to everyone).

Also if you completed any of the contests this month (like writing 15 poems, attending 5 poetry jams, or participating in speak your mind -- all of which you can still do!!) please help us out and post in the badges & contests thread to claim your badge so that we don't have to go through every thread to figure out who earned them. You can claim your badge until May 7, so if you need a little bit of time that's alright!

Thanks again for sharing your poetry this month YWS!

pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn