z

Young Writers Society

NaPo Buddies

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:21 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

I know it's April 1 in some places already. Is it too late to sign up?
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:12 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Okay you're all in, and sign-ups are closed now! :)

@alliyah @fraey @ShadowVyper @BlueAfrica @bluewaterlily @niteowl @ellasnotebook @paperforest @Tuckster @Arcticus @manilla @Holysocks @EagleFly @Aley @Ventomology

Hey everyone! Thank you all for signing-up! You might have noticed that there are 15 people signed up, so I did have to make a group of three! So I plan for this to be pretty low-key and you can choose however you want to encourage your buddy - whether that's posting on their wall, thread, or sending random encouraging poetry memes or prompts to them use your best judgement. I will be providing suggestions on how you might try to encourage your buddy each week though in this thread. I think it will be a fun April!

So without further ado: here are the buddy groups!

Holysocks & Aley

Arcticus & ShadowVyper

fraey & ellasnotebook

bluewaterlily & Ventomology

Tuckster & EagleFly

manilla & BlueAfrica

alliyah & niteowl & paperforest

For the first week of NaPo I'd encourage you to ask what your buddy's goals are for NaPo (that might help you in encouraging them, so that you aren't bugging a person who only wants to write 2 poems about needing to write 30 and vice-versa) maybe even send them a PM introducing yourself if you have never interacted on the site before too!

Mostly though, just try to get at least one comment in their thread - if they don't have any poems yet (not everyone will) you could still always say some well-wishes in their thread. :)

Happy NaPo to everyone!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:32 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@alliyah @fraey @ShadowVyper @BlueAfrica @bluewaterlily @niteowl @ellasnotebook @paperforest @Tuckster @Arcticus @manilla @Holysocks @EagleFly @Aley @Ventomology

Hey NaPo Buddies participants! :D You all made it a week into the month, and if I'm not mistaken every single one of you has even written a poem! Way to go!

Try to leave another comment in your buddy's thread this week - maybe an encouragement or a constructive comment on their poems so far.

And this week I challenge you all (if you'd like) to give a challenge to your buddy! This might be to try something new in their poetry (like a structure, form, or theme), or maybe you see something you love in one poem and would like to see expanded or from another point of view, if your buddy isn't planning to write a poem this week - the challenge could even just be to work on getting one line or metaphor onto their thread. ^This challenge is of course is just an optional idea you might use to encourage your buddy. :)

Keep writing that beautiful poetry friends! <3

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hello again NaPo Buddies! This second week of NaPo went way too quickly, and now we're already half-way done! Can you believe it?

This week your challenge to interact with your NaPo Buddy (if you choose to accept it) is to write a poem inspired by a line or poem your buddy wrote! You can interpret the word "inspired" however you see fit - maybe it has the same theme, maybe it borrows a line or image, either way, make sure to give a shout-out on your thread if you decide to do the challenge.

Keep up on those comments too if you can. :)

Good luck on this third week everyone!

1227 Reviews

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:11 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey NaPo Buddies!

We are in our last third, and nearly into our last week of National Poetry Month. Time flies when you're throwing words together from little wisps of air and calling it poetry having fun.

This week just try to keep up that encouragement for your NaPo Buddy, if they haven't posted in awhile, check-in to see how their goals are going, and if they need a poetry-prompt, if they're still rocking it jump over to their thread and cheer them on.

Let's meet those goals poets and finish April strong! :)

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:54 pm
View Likes
manilla says...

you caught me
Pronouns: she/they

From the wild manila folder of YWS's office.

When the last tree has fallen
And the rivers are poisoned
You cannot eat money

I do reviews: https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=108365

1227 Reviews

Wed May 01, 2019 9:55 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Here's your last tag!

We made it! I hope you all enjoyed having an extra poetry buddy to go through NaPo with. If you completed 15 or 30 poems and haven't claimed your badge in the contest thread please don't forget to. And if you have any feedback on how the Buddies arrangement/prompts/pairings worked out please feel free to give me feedback via PM - I'd love to know what your impressions were and if it's something you'd like to see next year. The same goes for other aspects of NaPo too - if you have fun ideas, complaints, dreams, jokes etc whether you're a mod or not I'd love to hear them and can pass that on to the rest of the Poetry Crew as well.

Thank you all for participating!

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 am
View Likes
Atticus says...

I really enjoyed having a NaPo buddy! Knowing that someone was reading and enjoying my poems motivated me to keep writing, and the feedback I got, however small, helped me improve as a poet even throughout NaPo. I would definitely want to participate again next year if you decided to continue it, and I enjoyed how it brought me into more of a community and the added encouragement :)
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller