NaPo 2018 Neapolitan Stats & Cloud Center

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:54 am
View Likes
Audy says...

2018 NaPo Cloud Center

We interrupt this NaPo with very important screams. The science team took a year off to build us a super-powerful computer that we will be using for our annual NaPo celebrations!

The computer supposedly feeds upon the words of all NaPo poems and spits out poem statistics right back at us. Nifty, right? We took the liberty of feeding it all the early March poems to provide the preview below!

Wow! It looks like there is romance in the air.

Well, the math is alright. But what does that have to do with fun? I'll tell you! With this new invention, we've created 3 New Games for your entertainment. And No! We're not playing the Hunger Games. Maybe next year.

The Strawberry Games

Will YOUR poem win the daily raffle?!

Everybody loves waffle-cones! That's why we have a daily raffle-hour! A random word will be selected daily. If the word is contained in your poem-for-the-day, you win 10 points!

We will be running the raffle daily for 30 days! At the end of the month, the five people with the most points will be awarded the strawberry badge!

The Vanilla Games

Will YOUR poem be vanilla enough?

Vanilla is best with toppings and other things to complement it! That's why the vanilla games change daily! Sometimes, the winner is the poem with the most onomatopoeia. Sometimes, the winner is the poem that has the most words that start with the letter T. If you believe your poem matches the description that best fits the vanilla games, you may win 10 points for the day!

At the end of the month, the five people with the most points will be awarded the vanilla badge

The Chocolate Games

Can YOU guess tomorrow's MOST COMMON word? Submit your guesses below!

For this game, you don't even need to participate in NaPo to enter! All you have to do is check out all the daily word clouds. Try to guess which ONE WORD will appear more frequently among all the poems submitted for the day. If you guess correctly, you will win the chocolate badge as well as 100 points for the day!

General Rules:

1. Conjunctions, Articles, Pronouns will not get fed to the SuperComputer. We like to keep it running healthy and those words are known to be high in gluten.

2. For the chocolate games, you can only submit one guess word per day. Please post in this thread. Also note, you cannot change your entry once submitted for the day.

3. Your entries are timestamped for the current competition. For example, if you guessed the word: LOVE on Day 12, and LOVE appears as the most common word for DAY 23, it will not count. If it appears as the most common word for day 10, it will not count. We will take account different time zones, however.

4. The Chocolate Games will NOT repeat any words. If LOVE shows up again, we'll go by the second most frequent word and the word cloud will reflect it.

5. If you submit a poem of a certain number of word count, and that poem only has one word repeated over and over and over and over again - your poem will be disqualified for the chocolate games.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:26 am
View Likes
Audy says...

April 1st

Most common word people are writing about is "will" which has actually appeared 38 times, a 3% frequency among our poems! It looks like the poets are starting NaPo 2018 by looking towards the future, or perhaps for some, there's an iron determination to see the month through! ;)

Stats

Poets have submitted a total word count of 5265 words!
Impressive! If we keep up this pace, we will all COLLECTIVELY complete even NaNO wordcounts ;)

Number of different words 1615!
Quite a variety of topics and vocabulary we see here!

Longest word:

responsibility submitted by @Querencia in the poem Solivigante you can check out here!

Most interesting word, paddywhacked submitted by @Pompadour
The word's definition refers to the strong elastic ligament in the midline of the neck of sheep or cattle which relieves the animal of the weight of its head.

However, in the poem, it shows up as the more colloquial old English nursery rhyme: Nic nac paddy whacked. I recommend people check it out!

Complexity Factor (Lexical Density) : 57.8%
That's an 11th Grade reading level! Not bad!

The Strawberry Games

cannibal

This word actually shows up like 8 times which is quite strange o_o

Does YOUR poem contain the above word?!

If so, that means you won today's raffle and will be awarded 10 points! Please post in the thread if you think you won. The way this works, each day unique words fed to the Supercomputer will be randomized daily and if your poem contains the winning word, you will automatically win 10 points!

At the end of the month, the five people with the most points will be awarded the strawberry badge! Tune in tomorrow for a new raffle! Justs remember! You MUST write a poem timestamped for April 2nd to qualify!

The Vanilla Games

Does your April 1st poem contain a word that rhymes with Honey?

If your poem contains a word that rhymes with "honey" you will be rewarded 10 points for the day! All you need to do is post below!

At the end of the month, the five people with the most points will be awarded the vanilla badge!

The Chocolate Games

Can YOU guess tomorrow's MOST COMMON word? Submit your guesses below!

Code: Select all
[b]Strawberry Games Entry[/b]: Does your April 1st poem contain the word 'cannibal' ? If so link to your poem!
[b]Vanilla Games Entry[/b]: Enter the word that rhymes with honey
Provide a link to your poem!
[b]Chocolate Games Entry[/b]: Enter A word You Guess will End up as Tomorrow's Most Common Word!

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:24 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Chocolate Games Entry: My guess is tomorrow's most common word will be "like"?
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:30 am
View Likes
spectator says...

I am responsible for 7/8 uses of the word cannibal.
went for a jog

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:36 am
View Likes
Mea says...

Chocolate Games Entry: heart
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:56 am
View Likes
Charm says...

my guess for tomorrow's word is going to be: flower

lol i already know i'm wrong!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:59 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Chocolate games entry: sun
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:37 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

Does it count if my poem had the word honey in it? *finger guns* Honey rhymes with honey, right? ;^)
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:14 am
View Likes
Audy says...

Yesterday's Ice Cream Screamers

@alliyah with 100 points! Correctly Guessing "like" for the Chocolate Games and scoring the BIG one! Congratulations!
@spectator with 70 points! For SEVEN-TIME CANNIBAL win streak!
@Hattable with 10 points! For the very lovely honey-honey rhyme :)

And now a *drumroll*

We have a new word count breaking record!

April 2nd

Our poets are using many similes today! Either that, or we're excited about our light crushes and preferences! The most frequent word used 35 times is like!

Followed very closely by Never, Know, and Can!

Today's Ice Cream Games

If your poem contains the words "lies" or any words that might be a school subject, you will have won today's games! Post below to reveal winnings!

For those of us with bad luck, post below to guess tomorrow's most frequently used word!

Code: Select all
[b]Strawberry Games Entry[/b]: Does your April 2nd poem contain the word 'lie' ? If so link to your poem!
[b]Vanilla Games Entry[/b]: Does your poem contain a school subject? Examples: math, English, biology, history, etc. ?
[b]Chocolate Games Entry[/b]: Enter A word You Guess will End up as Tomorrow's Most Common Word!

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:27 am
View Likes
Aley says...

wait @Audy which poem day do those have to be in?

696 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 am
View Likes
Audy says...

@Aley April 2nd! I like to think of it as a Raffle or Lottery game.

The whole of April 2nd, poets are writing their poems, a.k.a their "ticket". Then at the end of the day, I announce the "winning words" and poets scan their written poems to see if they won!

Except for the chocolate games, you will always guess tomorrow's word!

I hope that clears things up!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:37 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Vanilla games! to hell and back again

And while I'm here let's just guess that the word will be "guess".
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:41 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

@Audy Does liberal studies in the poem title count?
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

696 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:45 am
View Likes
Audy says...

I'll definitely accept that @bluewaterlily! While you're here, if you want- you can also try to guess tomorrow's most frequently used word for a chance to win extra points!

sweet mother of asparagus
— GengarIsBestBoy