z

Young Writers Society

[POLL] How long does it take you to write a poem?

How Long Does It Take You to Write a Poem?

About 15 minutes or less!
34%
About 30 minutes!
31%
Around an hour!
19%
A couple of hours!
16%
Takes me about a day!
No votes

Total votes : 32

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:37 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

On average, how long does it take from your first word to the time you hit "submit" to post to your NaPos?

Any advice for others, insights on your process?

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:29 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

*raises hand embarrassed*

I am one of those 1 hr on good days to 2-3 hours folks, which really killed me last year I could only get halfway through the month c: I will learn to master the on-the-spot poem hopefully with some help from you guys <3

The feeling when it's done is AMAZING and also short-lived because I'll read it over in a week and go GROSS.

But it is also addicting, both because writing is gratifying but also because poetry brings a crafting component that is half like completing a puzzle. Noveling brings a crafting component too but I only get that feeling when the novel is itself completed and I can look it over after many many months it took to compose, so it can be overwhelming. Poetry has that in little bites xD I have to keep writing more and get more of that awesome-feeling.

I don't know what I am writing when I start. Zero ideas.

It's rare for me to write from personal feelings or thoughts. That process comes for me through editing rather than on the spot. I think because I struggle to understand my emotions, let alone put words to them.

Instead I try to start with a word or a theme and from there my brain will form connections. So I start with "chilli peppers" go those are "hot. Spicy. Latin. Romance. Joyful. Adventurous. A dry heat. A dry heat that bleeds. That's a cool sounding line, I'll start with that. Then keep going, but it begins pretty nonsensical and improvised.

I add a story or a narrative or meaning later.

I love microsoft word because it gives me control over font and white space and kernings but I hate microsoft word because it auto-capitalizes and underlines with blue and green and red everywhere, lol :P

But that's just my weird habits. What are yours?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:09 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I tend to write 'em in a few minutes. And then never come back to them. I think "Yes, I'll edit and revise this later until it's stunning." And then it molds in my refrigerator. XP
100% autistic

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:43 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Eh. Anywhere from five minutes to a few hours (occasionally a day or two?), but usually we're talking an hour or less. It either works or it doesn't. I may go back and play with lines I liked a few days later from something I didn't like, but yeah. Usually it's mostly done in one go, minus small tweaks later.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:45 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

I just stare at the white space known as a page and hope for the best when ideas come so like a few minutes to a couple hours or days. Because ideas don't come easy to me. Plant the seeds. And let it grow.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:51 pm
View Likes
Jagged says...

Time taken is pretty variable for me. Some poems I'll just oneshot and they emerge fully-formed in 10-20 minutes, but most take a few hours, a stanza here and a stanza there, sometimes coming to a block on a line — I'm the kinda person who can agonize over a single word or punctuation mark for hours.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:15 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'm a giant range but it tends to average a couple of hours, when you account for the fact I'm usually thinking of poems during my day then sit down to write it at night. So actual writing time is usually closer to 30~ minutes, but the amount of time I'm thinking about what to poet is much longer.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:23 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

It takes me around an hour to write and edit through a poem, though I usually don't have a specific amount of time when I do that type of thing. Sometimes it takes more, sometimes it takes less.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:18 pm
View Likes
KaiTheGreater says...

Searching online for inspiration can take forever. At some point, something goes WHAMMY in the feels, so I hold on to the feeling and write a crappy stanza or two, come across a line I like the sound of, and start over with that line. Repeat as often as necessary.
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

The range is huge. Anywhere from 30ish minutes for a one-shot (or like 5 if it's a haiku, but I've busted one of those puppies out in a min when I had a funky flow and good inspiration) to hours to days depending on how malleable the content proves to be.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:56 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Since I'm faking my way through this, I haven't spent more than 30 (maaybe 45) minutes on a single poem if you don't count the time spent mulling it over during the day.
Got YWS?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:58 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Typically I take about 20-30 minutes for a first draft, then go back and spend more time editing it if I want to officially post it. But I find that so far I haven't been spending much time at all writing, although I definitely think about my poems throughout the day so that may be why writing is faster. Or these poems are just bad. Or both haha.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato