Young Writers Society

The Great Birthday Scavenger Hunt of 2022

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:53 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

The Great Birthday Scavenger Hunt of 2022

Love taking a spin around the YWS Forums? I’ve got the activity for you! All are invited to participate in the Birthday Week Scavenger hunt – there’s a blend of old questions and new questions to hopefully put up a challenge for all participants.

Each and every answer can be found somewhere on YWS – some of the answers are straightforward to find and some are going to be extremely challenging. Try your best to find as many answers as you can, even if you’re not able to answer the majority of the questions you may find yourself in the running for the win – maybe you’ll even find out some new information about the site! Just be sure to read the rules below so you are not disqualified.

Ground Rules:
1. Absolutely no bumping or liking of topics that may be relevant until after the contest is over. If such a topic is found, the posts will be deleted, and the bumper disqualified. It ruins all the fun, so do not do it.
2. You may beg, borrow, or steal, but you may not bully, bribe, or otherwise harass anyone into helping you complete this.
3. You may use any means necessary available to you, but may not do anything illegal - i.e. try to hack into the super duper secret no one knows about it mod castle secret base where we keep all the good chocolate
4. You may not collaborate with other users to find answers - this means you can not work on the scavenger hunt in a public pad or write-in.
5. Do not post your answers in this thread.

How to Enter:
Please send all answers to @lliyah in a PM and then post in this thread saying that you entered! Do not post answers in this thread!

Ends:
Please note this event is open until the end of Birthday Week - so the event officially ends Sunday at 11:00 PM (your time zone!)

Prizes:
I’ll be announcing the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners at the end of the event they will assuredly earn honor and glory from their victory. Everyone who manages to answer 5 questions correctly will get 25 points from me. And I may give the 1st – 3rd place winners some sort of cool prize too if I ever finish up the prizes from the September checklist-challenge prize.

Questions:
If you have questions about how the scavenger hunt works you can post here or send me a PM. There are lots of questions, so even if you are only able to complete a few still try your hand at submitting, you might even win!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

SCAVENGER HUNT QUESTIONS

Easy (all worth 1 point)
If you’ve been with us a few months then you probably know some of these and even if you’ve just joined, they’re not buried too deep!
1. What day did @HarryHardy gain the pig-stars?
2. How many likes does the legendary Egg Post have today?
3. According to @ReviewBuddy, what is their cousin’s name?
4. How many users did YWS gain in its first week of existence?
5. We’re all looking forward to @BluesClues upcoming novel debut; what date is it set to be released?

Know Your YWS Friends (all worth 2 points)
These all have to do with your fellow YWS users! Make a friend while you find the answers!
1. Name all the Global Moderators who rocked usernames that started with the letter “L” for April Fools Day 2022. Bonus Point if you can list each L username.
2. Which current YWS moderator used to have a musical instrument as part of their username?
3. Who hosted a Sonnet Contest for one of YWS’s Birthdays?
4. At some point in YWS history @KotGRCommander lost their horse and was missing for several months. Which user found the horse?
5. Speaking of KotGR… who is the most recent Knight of the Green Room, and who was the first?

Check the Archives(all worth 3 points)
These are getting harder and if you can answer any without looking it up, you deserve some free candy but we don’t have free candy so have a pat on the back instead.
1. Rather than the Squills newsletter, @Nate used to write an occasional YWS Newsletter, what was the spelling mistake in the “quote of the season” in the Autumn 2005 newsletter?
2. After two rounds of voting, what was the final count in the first Monkeys vs Dragon Mascot Wars?
3. In the 2012 Gift Weekend, what was the gift most given?
4. There have been 3 users that have posted 100+ poems during a single April of NaPo on YWS – if you add their 3 record numbers together what number do you get?
5. What date was the last article added to the YWS Knowledge Base?

Birthday Section (all worth 4 points)
These answers are all Birthday Themed in honor of YWS’s 18th Birthday!
1. In honor of one of YWS's Birthdays @Carina made a video of YWS Memories, what song was playing in the background of the video?
2. In 2020, there was another YWS Birthday Scavenger Hunt – what animal did users have to follow to find the clues, and what was the “Final Answer” of the scavenger hunt?
3. @lilymoore wrote a Birthday Poem for YWS in 2010, what form of poem was it? Bonus point if you write and post a Birthday Poem for YWS now (share a link if you do)
4. When YWS turned 5 years old, how many dancing elephants were posted in @Nate’s happy birthday post?
5. What was Big Brother’s 7th Birthday Demand when YWS turned 13 years old? You can have 3 bonus points if you complete that task now without any explanation for why you are doing it.

Fiendish and a little bit crazy (all worth 5 points)
These questions are a little bit more challenging, but you should be able to find them on YWS if you search enough!
1. Exactly 3327 days ago, a Distinguished Member shared an interesting fact about ketchup with the site. What was the context and who was the member?
2. @lliyah, @Plume, @Shady and @Seirre once collaborated on an emotionally compelling and genre bending literary work together. What genres is it listed under?
3. Name the 8 animals currently being used in an avatar drawn by @lliyah.
4. In April 2021, an organization within YWS attempted to kidnap Big Brother and take over the site. They were also involved in an inner YWS War – what group did they primarily oppose and what marvel character was involved in this mess? (partial answers will earn partial points.)
5. What type of rodent did Elon Musk allegedly turn into during the course of an especially chaotic tagbook?

Good Luck!

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:32 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Entered!

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

4100 Reviews

Reviews: 4100
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:06 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Whoops! I sent the PM a while ago, but I completely forgot to say here that i entered, so better late than never.

I entered.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Oops, I too forgot to say I entered - but I did!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:31 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Entered! =D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1227 Reviews

Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:24 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Results

Thank you to everyone who entered this contest or tried their skills at finding the answers to these questions! I think there was only one question that no one managed to answer which was Name the 8 animals currently being used in an avatar drawn by @lliyah. a particularly difficult one that would take some time looking through avatars to figure out. :)

The "ketchup mystery" was solved though! It turns out @Elinor had the fun fact about ketchup back in the day - a fact that ended up getting catalogued in a Squills article. :D

I'll leave the other questions un-answered in case they get recycled for another scavenger hunt. But thank you again to each and every person who participated! It's always fun coming up with these and digging a bit deeper into YWS and its amazing 18 years of history!

So without further ado...

The participants were @looseleaf, @Spearmint, @Shady, @niteowl, @HarryHardy, @Liminality

In third place with 33 points was the very crafty @Spearmint who got a quite a number of questions conquered!

In second place we had detective @niteowl who managed 58 points and was the only person to get the ketchup question correct!

And in first place with 65 points earned was @HarryHardy who managed to tackle questions in a variety of categories, searching with ingenuity and diligence, taking away the victory!

Congratulations to everyone for participating!

Also want to highlight these blogs that might have something to do with classified? unclassified? or maybe the scavenger hunt or maybe both... blog.php?u=53&b=66675 blog.php?u=88359&b=66674

Everyone who participated will get 25 points in the mail from me shortly!

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson