Young Writers Society

Review Quality Contest: YWS Critique Sandwich

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:51 am
View Likes
LizzyTyler says...

Review Quality Contest: YWS Critique Sandwich

Looking to put your reviewing skills to the test? Itching for a fun challenge? Whether you're a review newbie, a seasoned reviewer, or someone trying to start reviewing again, this is the place for you! Your hosts, @Liminality and @LizzyTyler challenge you to use the YWS Critique Sandwich in a review! What's a critique sandwich? Simply put, compliment-criticism-compliment. To enter this competition, your review should have:

An opening, at least a couple of sentences long that says what you liked about the work.

A body where you talk about some areas where the writer could improve.

A closing, where you give the writer one more thing you liked!

And although we will not have a mandatory word count, your review must be marked as a review by the site to qualify. If your review was accidentally marked as a Literary Comment, please contact a moderator to help you mark it as a review.

How to Participate

Link your review in this thread by 17th September 2022!

How will we judge?

1. The first compliment layer: do you point out something about the work that you like as the first thing or almost the first thing in your review? Starting with a positive always smoothens the critiquing process. :D

2. The centre critique: do you point out something to improve on in a way that would help the writer?

3. The last compliment layer: do you give a 'summing up' of the work that motivates the writer to keep writing?

4. Sandwich specificity: how specific are you being with these comments? For example:

"I like this description." <-- This is unspecific

"I like this description. It made me feel for the character." <-- This is pretty specific

"I liked this description because it conveyed to me the feeling of loneliness, without the main character having to 'say' or 'think' she was lonely. That helped me sympathise with her more." <-- This is very specific, gold star!

Please also read this article --> The YWS Critique Sandwich It gives more detail on what the sandwich looks like in a review.

Prizes (ooh shiny!)

1st place - Sandwich-themed avatar edit by Liminality + a doodle from Liminality
2nd place - Sandwich-themed avatar edit by Liminality + a haiku from LizzyTyler
3rd place - Sandwich-themed avatar edit by Liminality

Participation - everyone gets 75 points for participating
Honourable mentions (3) - An additional 25 points!

Contest rules

- No copying and pasting reviews (that is, no plagiarism!)
- No submitting a review not written in RevMo (September)
- Absolutely Avoid Review Spam : if you're doing the sandwich right, you're not doing spam :D

Feel free to ask your hosts any questions below!
“your highness” is gender neutral

so if you are ever confused about my pronouns

that’l work

alternatively “your majesty”, “my liege”, and “supreme overlord”

*please note “your grace” is also acceptable

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:19 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hi there! I'd like to enter with this review: work/vampricone6783/I-dont-like-the-circus-is-there-a-problem-Samuels-song-154065?c=734986#c734986

I might switch the review up later if that's okay, but for now this is what I've got! :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:59 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Here's my submission! work/QueenMadrose/Are-you-okay-154135?c=735006#c735006
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:22 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Okay this is a clunky effort xD but an attempt was made: work/SilverNight/The-Last-Spell--Chapter-11-154144?c=735119#c735119

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:10 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Thanks so much for your entries everyone! Lizzy and I will get to judging and hopefully be able to announce the results before end of the month.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:00 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Winners

Hello hello! Thank you all so much once again for submitting to the Review Quality Contest! All your reviews were fantastic and we had a hard time deciding the rankings. No matter how you placed, somewhere out there is a very happy writer who is happy because of your review :D

Without further ado, here are the results:

Honourable mention . . . @looseleaf!

3rd place . . . @Shady!

2nd place . . . @Seirre!

1st place . . . @lliyah!

Well done everyone!

You will be receiving your point prizes shortly. As for doodles and avvie edits, please PM me, Lim, with your preferences! The avvie edits are all sandwich-themed, but feel free to request if you have a specific kind of sandwich in mind or if you'd like a specific topping :D Please PM LizzyTyler if you have a special request for your haiku.

And Happy RevMo!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:48 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

WooHoO! Good job everyone; thanks for hosting you two! I eagerly await my sandwich avvie! :D my only request is that it have an A. :D
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta