Young Writers Society

May Review Challenge!

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE FOR THE MAY REVIEW CHALLENGE

Now that April and the joy of Napo are behind us for another year, your friendly neighbourhood mods are back with another review challenge to see you through the month of May!

In January, we set you the challenge of earning as many points as possible with your reviews throughout the month. Loads of you participated, clearing out the Green Room in the process and at the end of the month we crowned our valiant winners @SilverNight @HarryHardy and @Plume

This month, your challenge is a little different. You may (or may not) have seen the #jumptheleaderboards hashtag circling around YWS before. This is where you valiant reviewers race your way up the All Time Leaderboards for fame and glory. This month, you'll also get prizes for your efforts!

It's simple: declare below your current place in the leaderboards and who you want to overtake (jump) and how many reviews you'll need to achieve that! If you achieve your goal by the end of the month you'll be in for a fabulous badge!

For example, I (IcyFlame) am currently in 27th place on the leaderboards and I want to jump @Iggy who is in 26th! That means I need to write 5 reviews in May. (Or, I could be more ambitious and say I want to jump to 25th and overtake @TimmyJake by doing 76 reviews in May...)

You can choose to join the challenge at any time over the month but please note that the user you are trying to 'jump' must be at least 5 reviews ahead of you!

Some pro tips:
  1. Reviewing a Green Room work will earn you an extra 25 points in addition to the points you earn from your review. You don't need points to beat this challenge, but this will help you to save up for posting your own work.
  2. Reviewing a work that's been in the Green Room for more than a month will earn you a total of 50 additional points (25 for reviewing a work in the Green Room, 25 for reviewing an old Green Room work).
  3. To earn the maximum number of points for your review, your review must be longer than 1,000 characters, or about 150 words.
  4. The May Review Day on the last Sunday of the month is an excellent opportunity to write some reviews and pull ahead!
  5. If you review chapters of the same novel, you can comment on aspects such as overall pacing, character progression, and plot development. Many novels have multiple chapters sitting in the Green Room. That's a wealth of reviews you can get from just one novel!
  6. The YWS Knowledge Base has some great resources to help you as you write your reviews. Covering everything from Pro Review Tips to a complete guide to grammatical conventions, there's a wealth of knowledge contained within this forum.
  7. Still stuck? Try using one of these wonderful Review Templates to get you started.

Please feel welcome to ask any questions here or PM @IcyFlame

Go ahead and declare your challenge below so we can keep track of you all :)

1485 Reviews

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:29 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Kicking this off to say I am currently in 27th place on the leaderboards and I want to jump @Iggy who is in 26th! That means I need to write 5 reviews in May!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:54 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:22 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Hey! Another reviewing challenge! This looks super exciting and I'm definitely going to partake, but I've got a few questions.

1. Can you challenge someone who isn't super active anymore?

2. Will this be measured on whether you actually jump the person (because they could also be trying to jump someone too, which makes your job harder) or do you just have to meet the goal you make at the beginning?
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

1485 Reviews

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:35 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Hey @Plume, excellent questions!

1.You can most certainly jump someone who isn't active anymore as long as they're 5 or more reviews ahead of you.

2.Your success will be measured based on whether you manage to move up to the space you've specified at the beginning. So if you're in spot 50, you'll win if you get to spot 49 (if that's what you challenged yourself today) irrespective of who you jump to get there :) I hope that makes sense!

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Okay, great! Thanks!

In that case: I am now in 350th place and I want to jump @Blink, who is in 291st place. I will need to write exactly 40 reviews to do so.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 pm
View Likes
quitecontrary says...

I am currently ranked 1420th, and I would like to jump @Unique (1156th) by writing 15 reviews.
"It is only through shadows that one comes to know the light."
- St. Catherine of Sienna

"One of the most cowardly things ordinary people do is to shut their eyes to facts."
- C.S. Lewis

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 pm
View Likes
manilla says...

Hi! I am at #679 and I would lie to jump @Valkyria by writing 10 reviews.
Pronouns: she/they

From the wild manila folder of YWS's office.

When the last tree has fallen
And the rivers are poisoned
You cannot eat money

I do reviews: https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=108365

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Sat May 01, 2021 1:42 am
View Likes
AndName says...

I want to participate but I am...I am 'unranked' I guess my 40 reviews ain't good enough XD Can I still get a badge if I place on the chart by getting on the chart?

EDIT:

I've decided to put effort in and place on the leaderboards, then set a new goal to achieve from there. Wish me luck!
Last edited by AndName on Sat May 01, 2021 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
:shock:

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sat May 01, 2021 2:16 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

I'm currently at 189th place and I'm going to try to jump @Antigone Cadmus for 180th place by writing 15 reviews in May!
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 am
View Likes
GirlWithATypewriter says...

I am unranked as I had been inactive for a long time. By the end of this challenge I want to make sure I have a rank.
Code: Select all
Niveditha

4096 Reviews

Reviews: 4096
Sat May 01, 2021 5:21 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Woohooo...another reviewing challenge!!

Well...I am currently ranked 17th...and I would like to jump past @Kale (15th). That's going to be 58 reviews I believe....a hopefully doable two per day.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 am
View Likes
EsmerayaRose says...

well I'm currently unranked so.....by the end of this I want to be ranked
I promise this type of pain only gets worse
~Esmeraya~

she/they

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat May 01, 2021 10:45 am
View Likes
Shady says...

I am currently ranked 35th and want to jump past @Morrigan and @Griffinkeeper to get to spot 33 by writing (at least) 9 reviews.

Edit: I apparently am bad at math and it was 10 reviews but

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat May 01, 2021 1:19 pm
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

I am unranked, so I want to be ranked lol
*boop*

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory