560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:42 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

The prize:
10,000 points

Open to: All works.
That includes; novels and novellas, essays, short stories, poetry, photography and art, lyrics and music, and anything else I've left out.

What's the catch?

You can't submit your own work.

How it works:
You choose up to three works that you like and post a link
and (optional) your reason for submitting it, in this thread.

When the deadline rolls around, myself and my minions secret judges
will whittle it down to a shortlist for the grand prize.

After that we'll debate for many an hour until we conclude which of these spectacular authors will be in receipt of an irresponsibly large number of points.

Submission rules:
Each person can submit up to three works, but each work
must be by a different author.
You can't submit your own work, or two works by the same author.
Works must be by a yws member who has written at least five reviews.
The work submitted must be posted somewhere on YWS,
(including forums, publishing centre, walls and blogs).

Prizes:
First place wins 10,000 Points. Runners up and specials will also be awarded.

Deadline is the 1st October '19.

N/B This is a contest of good will. Members suspected of trying to rig the submissions will be investigated and disqualified at the judges discretion. Play nice, guys =]
We were born to be amazing.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:53 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If I wanted to post a work that had multiple parts - like a three part short story - would I be able to post those three parts as one submission, or would I need to pick the strongest part out of all of them?
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

560 Reviews

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:48 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Good question! You'd mention that you're entering the entire story and then link to the first part.

On that note; you can also enter works that are partially completed, such as ongoing novels.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thanks, @Tenyo!

I still need to figure out what the third story I'm submitting is, but I'd like to submit @Elinor's Little Turtledove and @soundofmind's The Lost Dragon. Little Turtledove is a three part completed short story, while The Lost Dragon is novel with seventeen chapters on the site.

I loved reading Little Turtledove because of Elinor's characterization of cults - though it was fiction, it felt like a nonfiction piece thanks to all of the wonderful little details she added in. And I love reading The Lost Dragon because sound has a knack for entertaining characters, worldbuilding and an overall really interesting story.

Edit: I finally found my third piece to submit! I want to submit @Awru's The Plight of a Flu Victim. As someone who's been struggling with bad allergies for the past week, her take on feeling under the weather made me giggle. It's a cute, humorous poem that perfectly captures what it's like to be suffering when under the weather.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:55 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I wanna submit @mellifera's The Hero's Brother! It's got about 30 chapters (and increasing, as mel continues to write). B)
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

I'd like to enter @DougalofBiscuits' novel The Secret of Tayburn Zoo -- currently sitting at 20 chapters posted, with more written and ready to post!

My second nomination is @fortis's Connection which is sitting at a whopping 39 chapters posted (and which needs more to be posted because the last chapter left off in /April/ with a cliffhanger that's been driving me mad for MONTHS >.>).

My third nomination is @Arcticus's poetry. If I can nominate an entire NaPo thread that's what I want to do -- if I have to pick a specific one I'd have to go with Day #16 - Let Me Love You In My Own Way.

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:16 pm
View Likes
Horisun says...

I would like to enter Emperor's Heir - Chapter 1
by @shieldmaiden
I've been reading the series, and am working through the chapters. It's a really excellent series and that's why I want to nominate it!
She/Her

461 Reviews

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 pm
View Likes
Horisun says...

The deadline isn't up yet, right?
She/Her

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:30 pm
View Likes
shieldmaiden says...

I'd like to nominate @FlamingPhoenix A Fight for Survival ~ Darkness Approaches Prologue
She has nine chapters written so far and posting.

I'd also like to nominate @Honora and her work Be Careful Who You Trust Chapter 1.1
There are 11 chapters posted in segments and she continues to write. Fantastic really!

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:23 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

I'd like to nominate @LordWolf for their novel Delta - which has over 26 chapters, many in multiple parts. This futuristic world they've made is absolutely fascinating and a joy to read through multiple times.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

560 Reviews

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:43 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@Horisun

Nope! You've still got until October 1st if you want to submit two more pieces.

461 Reviews

560 Reviews

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:11 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Thread bump to anyone who has show interest. You have one day left to enter your favourite works!

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Ah I keep meaning to post some pieces in here but it's really tough to decide. also i'm really intrigued by the note that we aren't supposed to attempt to rig the submissions, and am just thinking about ways that would be done via YWS... like do you accept 10,000 point bribes?

I nominate @Anamel's poem eat the moon because it has really vivid, layered imagery, and uses a lot of originality to portray a meaning that the reader gets to piece together. It's short, but I think it also has a lot of impact value.

If I could I'd nominate all napo threads because there is something wonderful about every one of them, and I have a lot of favorites -> I'll nominate this one though for being especially memorable. @Sachiko's NaPo --> especially the first of the thread here Love Sachiko's poetic style, it's very consistent, unique, and I think this opening poem is quite a striking intro to the rest of the thread. There are just a lot of twists of phrases that I wouldn't expect put together, but are consistently intriguing.

And then I'm going to throw in @soundofmind's song --> i'll stay with you mostly for the whistling! But also the song is very beautiful and memorable. Simple lyrics, but very pretty.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx