Review Month Review Contest

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:01 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

Review Month Review Contest

... bring the raccoon your reviews

Hi folks it's your neighborhood reviewing raccoon ReviewBuddy! For Review Month I thought it'd be fun to have a Reviewing Contest!

I will be having some help from my friends over at the Better Review Bureau with judging and sponsoring the prizes, so be sure to check that club out if you haven't yet.

Here will be the rules!

Who may enter?
You can! All YWS members and/or raccoons who are reviewing this September can submit one review in each category (Poetry and Prose) for entry.

The review needs to have been written in September.

How is the review being judged?
While review month prompts many people to focus on the quantity of their reviews, the quality is what's being judged here! Note that the "best" review won't necessarily be the longest or the most critical. And although grammar critiques can be helpful in some circumstances - this contest will not be factoring grammar into our decision.

Here is what we will be considering:

Tone
Is the review respectful of the author and work? Do they include praise along with criticism.

Depth
Does the review go beyond grammar and one-liner "nitpicks"? Does the review comment on plot or meaning?

Suggestions
Does the reviewer provide specific examples of where the work might be improved? Are there resources or specific suggestions given along with justifications?

Do I have any tips for reviewing?
They don't call me "ReviewBuddy" for nothing!

Here's some ideas of what you might cover in a review if you're stuck:

Spoiler! :

Note - these may not apply or require comment in every work!
Also these are in someway modeled after @Mea and @BlueAfrica's Olympics challenge advice

Prose:
Plot - does the plot make sense? is it interesting? what's going on in the piece?
Characters - do the characters have depth? are their motivations clear?
Dialogue - is the dialogue natural? distinctive? interesting? does it move the plot along?
Pacing - how's the pacing of the story? too slow/too fast?
Setting - what do I think of the setting and world of the story?

Poetry:
Meaning - is the meaning communicated well? what is the meaning?
Use of Figurative Language - how does the poem use metaphor or simile?
Use of Poetic Devices - how are sound devices and poetic devices utilized?
Flow - does the poem flow well? do the line breaks hinder or help the flow?
Imagery - does the poem paint an image? where might imagery be improved?
Clarity - do I understand what the poet is saying? what is unclear is the narrative?

What are the fabulous prizes?

1st Place - 700 points you also may receive a raccoon gif

2nd Place - 500 points

3rd Place - 300 points

Plus everyone who participates in the contest will receive a bit of feedback on their review if they desire.

When is the deadline?
The deadline is September 30th and you can expect results to be posted here sometime in the first week of October - feedback will be delivered by the end of October.

Please use this format for your entries (and indicate whether you would like feedback on the review)

Code: Select all
[b]Category of Work[/b] Poetry / Prose
[b]Link to Review[/b]: post link here
[b]Desire Feedback on Review?[/b] Yes / No

So that's all! If you have any questions throw them over here along with your entries. :)
Last edited by ReviewBuddy on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:52 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Hi! Hope I’m doing this right.

Category of Work: Prose
Link to Review: work/ArtOfSilence/The-Amber-Balance-Chapter-1--Prologue-141622#c656454
Desire Feedback on Review? Yes
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:43 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

This was my 1000th review, and I thought it was a pretty good one, so I figured, why not?

Category of Work Prose
Link to Review: work/concord/The-Crew-11-142172#c658191
Desire Feedback on Review? Sure! (Having run a contest like this before, I'm curious to see what style of feedback you guys decide to do.)
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

@Mea and @concord, thank you both for entering my Review Contest AND congrats on all of your success in RevMo, those violet usernames look great! Sorry for the delay in results, I got a bit busy digging around in trash and doing other raccoon things recently.

It was extremely difficult to choose, since these were both really great examples of reviewing done well!

But without further ado,

Concord wins First Place

and

Mea wins Second Place

Please expect your review feedback and points shortly. :)
"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues