z

Young Writers Society

Three Powerful Humans Writing Contest

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:51 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

What if someone somewhere is in a state where help is impossible, and living means suffering?

Have an independent, hidden organization consists of three individuals with powers of unknown origin. One has to be the Eye, able to see anyone from anywhere. One's power is used to locate people in aforemention state.

Then, have the other one be a Dream Maker / Heaven Creator. One's job is to put the target in a long sleep and give the target the best dream ever. Alternate option is to put the target under an illusion.

The last person is the Grim Reaper, only he is not because the title is overused, which means he's a Soul Thief. Makes dying a less painful experience, because the target will die in a blink.

The conflict comes from the observer, a spy implanted by the Government. It's all about one's philosophy regarding all of this, as well as deciding the Holy Trio should be exterminated or known.

The challenge? Write this as a short story. The best will be rewarded 400 points. Deadline is 30th December. The judge will be me. No need to consider audience's age; go all out. Word limit is 2000. It can be sci-fi or fantasy or both and do not have to exactly based on what I have laid out. As long as you get the general idea and philosophical and political conflicts done, you're good to go.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

472 Reviews

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:25 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Pinging those who might be interested:

@Mea @Wolfical @Rydia @Sacredlege @Lumi @felistia @Hattable @Holysocks @Noelle @outvaders

Also, please spread this around via pinging, PMing, or sharing it in your wall. I really want this idea to be written.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:10 pm
View Likes
Kazumi says...

That's hot. I'm hopping in, right after I'm done with my wip.

Do you have any rubric or criteria for judging though?
top kek

472 Reviews

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:14 pm
Lightsong says...

Awesome! I'm looking forward to your entry. :D

Pinging more people:

@ScarlettFire @Snoink @Falconer @Pompadour @Rosendorn @Steggy @Moonwatcher

- David L. Ulin

472 Reviews

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:19 pm
Lightsong says...

@outvaders:

Criteria is as follows.

1) The characters should be interesting. Whether it is because of their appearance, personality, or whatever, they should grasp the readers' attention at once.

2) Tight plot is preferable. That is, less plot holes and believable course of events.

3) Proper paragraphing is a MUST. I really don't like it when there is no space between paragraphs. That includes dialogue paragraphs.

4) First PoV is not allowed.

5) It has to be in past tense.

- David L. Ulin

472 Reviews

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:53 pm
Lightsong says...

@Megrim: Extreme sci-fi, no? ;)

- David L. Ulin

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:07 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

This is interesting. I'm not sure if I can even do this, but I'll try. Might not submit anything, though, so don't be too concerned if nothing comes out of this on my end. XD
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

472 Reviews

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:16 pm
Lightsong says...

@ScsrlettFire: It's okay! Trying is participating, and submitting can lead to winning. ;)

Some names that run into my mind:

@StellaThomas @marmalade @Persistence @Sachiko @Deanie @Rubric

- David L. Ulin

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:10 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

Having a little difficulty grasping the concepts here, Song. You call it an organization, does that mean there are three categories with a bunch of people in those categories (ie there's an Eye Faction and a Dream Faction and a Soul Thief Faction) or is it just these three people? In that case, how did the Spy get in?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

472 Reviews

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:31 pm
Lightsong says...

@Sacredlege: The organization can consist of more than three individuals, but the three founding members should be the Eye, the Illusion Maker, and the Soul Thief. There does not even have to be a leader because each mission is decided by agreement of the three, and someone should take in charge for the role of organizing the mission. No faction for each powerful individual.

The Spy can investigate by ways that you deem possible, but the point of his role is to portray that the organization is unknown to public but the Government, and the Government has yet to decide what to do with it due to, well, reasons you can make up.

This is all optional, of course, but think of an easier way of assisted suicide, in which death can be a better option than living in pain and hopelessness.

- David L. Ulin

472 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:38 pm
Lightsong says...

Deadline closes at 11:59 P.M, 30/12/2016. If the entries are less than three, the competition will be canceled. Thank you for your attention.

- David L. Ulin

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain