z

Young Writers Society

Kickstart Reviewing Challenge

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:32 pm
View Likes
Kickstart says...

If you’ve been on YWS, you will probably have at least seen one or two of them scattered across the site—whether they’re put on by crazy members or friendly neighborhood moderators. They’re always a fun thing to take a part in, and the abundance of reviews help the authors and keep the Green Room empty.

Allow me to introduce to you Kickstart, the first reviewing contest of 2015. This would be a great way to be a head start in your reviewing endeavors of the year, and a fun challenge to take part in if you love competition and the lovely prizes at the finish line.

DID I MENTION PRIZES?

Since this challenge is meant to start the year off with a terrific bang of reviewing, there should also be a terrific prize to come along with it. That is why many of us came to together and decided to really make there be a great reward for the winners of this challenge.

First Prize: 30,000 points, and 15 reviews*

Second Prize: 15,000 points, and 10 reviews*

Third prize: 7,500 points, and 5 reviews*

Yeah, that's what I said—30,000 points.

I DON'T THINK I CAN WIN THIS

We understand. Reviewing is hard work—like writing. And we all have lives, and sometimes they keep us insanely busy. But don’t let this deter you from joining! Everyone who signs up for this contest and completes at least ten reviews during the duration of the contest will receive 1000 points. We challenge you to write ten reviews during this month. We think that all who put their energy into reviewing for the challenge deserve a reward.

I WANT TO JOIN. WHAT DO I DO?

If you want to take part in this contest, simply subscribe to this club: Kickstart Reviewing Challenge All subscribers of the aforementioned club are considered as participating in the contest—and will receive all the notifications we can give them to remind them that, yes, this is still going.

After you’re subscribed, the only thing you have to do is review when the time comes. In this reviewing contest, there are no threads or posts you have to update with your review count. You don’t have to keep track of anything save for where your keyboard is. We take care of everything else for you, and the leaderboards of the month of January tell us the number of reviews you have done as a participant.

The only thing you have to do in order to be a part is:
1) subscribe to the club.
2) Write reviews. —Nothing more.

HOW WILL THIS BE JUDGED?

The participants will be judged by five reviewers, moderators, members—all of whom are household names around YWS. If you’re on here, you know them.

This review challenge isn’t scored by just the number of reviews you’ve written, but also by the quality of your reviews. The judges will be using their special system to analyze random reviews of the contestants and giving their final score based off the combined scores of both quality and quantity.

Someone who writes one hundred poor reviews may lose to the competitor who has written seventy well-done reviews. It all depends on the overall score. And also keep in mind that if you’re a new member, or one that is rusty and wants to get back in the game—don’t let this deter you. Our judges are fair and un-biased, and will factor everything in.

SO WHEN IS THIS REVIEW CHALLENGE?

It begins on January 1st and ends on January 31st.

It will continue on from the first day of the year to the end of January. Exactly one month long. The deadline for joining is December 31st. Basically, if you join before the challenge starts, you're in.

Good luck, my friends.

This review challenge is brought to you by:
Noelle
Jameshunt
Shadowvyper
fortis
Thewriter13
Theresecricket
Deanie
TimmyJake

*the reviews are written by the challenge judges, and the host. They will be good quality reviews, and well-worth the hard work for. They are also request reviews—meaning you can request specific pieces to be reviewed. And we will be fine with waiting until you need reviews. From us, you will receive a well-rounded reviewing team—ranging from poetry masters to novel/short story reviewers.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:42 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Call me when the point-to-bitcoin exchange is set up.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:54 pm
View Likes
Kickstart says...

It's in the works, @Prokaryote. Just keep in mind that there is a 30,000 point fee for the exchange.

I'll keep you updated.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:43 am
View Likes
Kickstart says...

The beginning of the contest is drawing near! Only two days from now, the deadline for joining will have been closed, and the contest will have begun. While there is a specific time for YWS that marks the beginning of the contest, most of us will no doubt completely miss the beginning--from school, work, sleep, or whatever else. Don't let this be a bother to you. If you're not sure the challenge has started yet, check your PM inbox. I will be sending a PM out at the beginning of the challenge. So if you have received a PM from me saying the contest has begun, go for it.

The official start time of the contest is:

During the contest, remember to not over-review yourselves. It's always a good idea to set up a schedule, figure out how many reviews you'll write per day, which will get you into a habit--whether it be one, two, three, or even four reviews per day. Just find the place where you're comfortable and stick to it. The point of this review challenge is to help the authors, and increase reviewing. If we all review like mad and burn ourselves out during this month, it will hurt reviewing in the long run. Keep them steady. Pace yourselves. We all know our limits.

Besides that, don't forget to post on the club wall to cheer on your competitors, don't forget the discussion threads with any questions or reviewing tips, and just have a lot of fun during this month.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:45 am
View Likes
Kickstart says...

The challenge is now over! This contest was a great success, and we are proud of our competitors! All of you did a wonderful job reviewing in the month of January, while keeping your quality up. We certainly had a great number of reviewers with a competitive spirit, working their way up the leaderboards - and remaining some of the top reviewers of the month.

And now begins the last part of the challenge: the judging. The process will take up to two weeks before we know the official score, so be patient! We're busy working in the back room, carefully balancing our judging off of both quantity and quality. When we're finished, we'll come out of hiding with the results.

Tagging those who joined the challenge by subscribing to the club:

@AdrianMoon, @Arkhaion, @AstralHunter, @Burrow, @Contest, @Deanie, @ERZA, @Flite, @Gravity, @Holysocks, @IronSpark, @Jumpyspot, @Kickstart, @LadySpark, @LeftyWriter, @Lumi, @Meandbooks, @Noelle, @ShadowVyper, @ThereseCricket, @thescratchedacoustic, @TimmyJake, @TriSARAHtops, @Widdershins, @Wolfare1, @YastikaReads, @godlypopo, @introworded, @megsug, @pretzelsing, @r4p17

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:44 pm
View Likes
Kickstart says...

The results are in! After two weeks of evil scheming careful analyzing and rockin’ out parties putting the scores together, we have come out of hiding—hair mussed in all directions, glasses askew—to release the news.

Aaaaaaand our first prize winner is….

@Flite worked so hard during the month, reviewing like mad and being everyone’s hero—including being the captain for the Review Day. She wrote forty-seven reviews during January (O_0—told you she was craaaazy), and each of them were detailed and full of encouraging, yet constructive advice to make their writing better for the future. Thank you for your childhood for being such a dedicated and amazing reviewer during this challenge, Flite.

Aaaaaand our second prize winner is…

@TriSARAHtops was one of those steady reviewers who gradually made their way up the leaderboards during the challenge. She wasn't noticed at first, but as the month passed, this girl piled up the reviews--both in quality and quantity. I mean, have you even seen her reviews? They're long enough to give you the scrollers, and they're so detailed and thoughtful. For her dedication to reviewing with quality and how many she wrote, she is our second prize winner. Sarah, thank you. <3

Aaaaaand our third prize winner is....

@Arkhaion and @Pretzelsing come in as tied for the third place ribbon. They both had their distinct style of reviewing which pushed them towards this prize, and both of them worked so hard during the month. Pretzelsing wrote fifty, fifty, quality reviews during the challenge. O_0 And while Arkhaion wrote them in a slower fashion, each of them was carefully written to produce some of the best reviews we judged. Both of them are amazing winners, and we're so happy to present them. c:

As for our other contestants, thank you thank you thank you for all the hard work you put into this challenge. We appreciate everything you did, and for those who wrote their ten reviews, your one thousand points is incoming. While we would love to give a prize to everyone who submitted even one review, we must cap it. Thank you for all your contributions, my friends.

Tagging all other contestants: @AdrianMoon, @Burrow, @Contest, @ERZA, @Gravity, @Holysocks, @IronSpark, @Jumpyspot, @LadySpark, @LeftyWriter, @Lumi, @Meandbooks, @Wolfare1, @YastikaReads, @godlypopo, @introworded, @megsug, @r4p17

This review challenge was brought to you by:

Judges
@Noelle
@AstralHunter
@Widdershins
@ShadowVyper
@Deanie

Host
@TimmyJake

Graphics and Avatar Designer
@TheScratchedAcoustic

Janitorial Service
@ThereseCricket

Note: The contest prize for first place entails 30,000 points and fifteen reviews, second prize being 15,000 points and 10 reviews, and third prize being 7500 points and 5 reviews. The third place tied winners will not be sharing the prize, but receiving each in full their well-earned prize. For the reviews, there will not be a deadline for when they're written (but at the same time, we will do them in a timely fashion), and there is no deadline for when you may request them. When you need a review and want to pull from your prize, contact Timmyjake and he will ensure you receive them.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:25 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Congratulations @Flite, @TriSARAHtops, @Arkhaion and @pretzelsing! You guys are naturally awesome!!!
100% autistic

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:27 am
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Yay to myself! Thanks everyone who put this together and all the judges and every minute of work that went into this!
Let's rock the third place @Arkhaion
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11