z

Young Writers Society

The Fairy Tale Campfire

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:38 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

It's the early eighteen-hundreds near the Black Forest. A visitor, maybe it's the Grimm Brothers themselves, or possibly an enchanted bear, visits your cabin. What do you do? Tell a story. Bake some good old Black Forest Cake (Or Schwarzenwälder Kirschtorte, as I like to call it) and serve up a story as ridiculous or fantastic as possible. Teach those naughty children in the streets a lesson in obedience through the tales of a golden-haired brat and three bears.

And so we come to the Fairy Tale Campfire Contest. You will tell your own original fairy tale in that awkwardly straight-forward style we hear so often from the Grimm Brothers (and of course, Hans Christian Andersen).

But, like the protagonists of old, you cannot ignore these rules and regulations.
-No swearing. Gore, however, is acceptable, in fact, it was quite common in fairy tales. (Cinderella's step sisters cut off parts of their feet!) Just... don't go into detail, please.
-All tales must be under 3000 words. (This is stretching it. The Golden Bird is the longest I have read, coming in around 2550.)
-Entries must be posted either on this forum, linked to this forum, or PMed to me.
-Please keep tales to a rating lower than 16+. We do not need a repeat of Rapunzel, whose prince visited her so much that she gave birth in the desert.
-All tales must be submitted by Midnight GMT on June 12th. (For reference, in Seattle that's 4:00 pm on June 11th. Please let me know if I did the conversion incorrectly.)

Now then, with that over with, let's go over the scoring rubric. All entries will be scored out of 100.
-Originality is the largest slice of cake, making up 40% of the score. Not everything is about princesses overcoming odds. Remember Hansel and Gretel? Also, (and this is an edit, brought to my attention by two others) you will lose points for using characters already in other fairy tales. Unless they are animals.
-Next is Style, with 25%. Here, your fairy tale will be compared to the classics by Andersen and Grimm. I want to feel as though I am reading one of those 'oldies but goodies', and maybe you can even try to fool your friends into thinking it is a classic folk tale. A hint? Try third-person objective.
-Then we have Plot. This category is practically an easy-shot, and makes up 15% of the total score. We want to see a clear beginning and exposition, middle, and end. Nothing too unexpected, and if there are plot twists, let's see them explained in the conclusion. We can't have loose strings. This isn't Pinocchio (by Carlo Collodi, not the Grimms or Mr. Andersen).
-Flow/Readability also makes up 15%, and is the grammar intensive part of the rubric. This category is broken up as well: five points go towards correct syntax and verb tense. Another five go to correct punctuation, and the last five are the read-aloud points. I should be able to read straight through to a group of kids, and we'll all be swell listening to it.
-And the last category is Moral/Theme. This is an all or nothing category, but thankfully it only accounts for 5% of the total points. Remember our friend, Pinocchio? His story told us not to lie. Goldilocks taught us not to steal, and the story of the Fisherman and His Wife teaches us not to be greedy. These stories were meant to teach people a lesson in morality, and I want to see the same in yours.

And before I send you on your way, let's see what prizes are in store for all you lovely competitors.
-First prize is 1500 points.
-Second prize is 750 points.
-Third prize gets 500 points.
-And the two runner-ups will each receive 250 points.

And there you have it. If there are any questions, do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like to join me in the judging process (I'll only take two others, so be quick!) please PM me.

So snap to it! Let's see those knights in shining armor, those brave and daring princes and princesses. Let's cry with the widows and cackle with the witches. Be Grimm, or be Andersen, and most importantly, let the fun begin!

Last edited by Ventomology on Wed May 07, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:16 pm
PiesAreSquared says...

Dude, you give people 4 days? I might join if there were more time
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

557 Reviews

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:20 pm
Ventomology says...

@PiesAreSquared, the deadline is in May, not April. You have a month. Sorry if that was confusing.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 am
View Likes
PiesAreSquared says...

Oops my bad!
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 am
Spotswood says...

Am I allowed to use a character from another fairy tale like the Snow Queen?
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

557 Reviews

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:22 pm
Ventomology says...

@Spotswood, I would have to take points off if you did. (Can't believe I didn't mention that.) Thanks for reminding me!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:31 pm
Spotswood says...

You should probably menion that in your initial post.

What if it was original character, but they just happened to have ice related powers? Not at all the same person, just like Elsa in Frozen was not the same thing as Anderson's Snow Queen.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

557 Reviews

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:55 pm
Ventomology says...

@Spotswood, Yeah, that works. (And I changed the initial post, so it's hopefully better.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:37 am
Cole says...

I'll do it! Let's see what I can pull off in ten days!

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129

557 Reviews

Tue May 06, 2014 11:34 pm
Ventomology says...

I shall try in vain to revive this post in order to get at least a few more entrants.

557 Reviews

Wed May 07, 2014 10:10 pm
Ventomology says...

Since the unfortunate number of contestants is... very small, I have decided to extend the deadline by a month. Those of you who have already submitted are free to make edits, since I changed the date without warning.

Sorry!

Random avatar

Thu May 08, 2014 3:39 am
Cole says...

Thank you for the extension!

557 Reviews

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:20 am
Ventomology says...

@Cole, Are you still planning on doing this contest? The deadline is coming up.

Random avatar

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:55 pm
Cole says...

I really want to, but I'm not sure that I'm going to have time to finish my entry. I'm half-way finished.

i got called an enigma once so now i purposefully act obtuse
— chikara