Young Writers Society

Revision Championship

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:19 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Isn't editing fun.

My last editorial letter went something like: "Love all the additions. Think you should flesh out x, y, and z and bit more. Maybe add this other thing too. PS: Need to cut 10,000 - 20,000 words."

264 Reviews

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Round Two Elimination

It looks like our bold competitor @Wolfical will not be advancing to the next round. Everyone should congratulate her on the wonderful job so far, and best of luck in all her future revising endeavors!

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:44 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Good luck guys! This competition happened at the darnedest time for me, and unfortunately I couldn't dedicate as much time to it as I would have liked. Can you hold another one of these soon, @Megrim? :)
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

264 Reviews

264 Reviews

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Because of Review Day, deadlines this week will be advanced by one day.
- Post by the end of Monday
- Reviews by Friday
- Next revision will still need to be on or before Sunday.

264 Reviews

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:03 pm
Megrim says...

Don't forget to post your stories today - @PrincessInk @niteowl

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:48 am
niteowl says...

It looks like I will have to drop out now, unfortunately. Too much life stuff going on. Thanks to all my reviewers and to Megrim for hosting. I do want to rework my story, but it's not happening this week.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

264 Reviews

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 am
Megrim says...

Sorry to hear that. Good luck!

264 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:33 pm
Megrim says...

All right, we're moving into the last round! Right now there are only 2 upvotes, for the same story. Remember that you can still upvote even if you've been knocked out! If one of the other stories doesn't get at least one upvote, I'll declare Mea our winner. Otherwise, the last two stories will head into the next round with the following prompt:

Bring out the setting! Develop one NEW piece of worldbuilding or setting that you weave through the story.

Make this an element of the scene / surroundings / world that the characters interact with or notice, though it doesn't have to be hugely important. If you can tie it into the plot, great, but the most important thing is to get some new sensory detail that flavors the story. It could be something about the atmosphere like a foggy coastal town or a fantasy world that has no sun; it could be something sensory like the scene taking place next to a bakery or a clocktower chiming in the background as the scene progresses; get creative!

Now go get upvoting!

@EternalRain @Mea @niteowl @PrincessInk @Wolfical

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:40 am
Mea says...

Right, so... to be honest I really thought I was going to be out of the contest last week, and I don't know what to do now that I seem to be winning it.

I don't know if you'll have seen my wall post when you read this, but I'm leaving YWS starting tomorrow and won't really be able to participate anymore. I don't think I have time this week to rewrite my story, not without an extension of a couple days. I can try to revise it in time and pop on to do the review/upvotes later in the week. But I'd be more than happy to take third place and let PrincessInk and EternalRain battle it out for the last round.

(BTW, this has been a really awesome contest and I'm glad I signed up.)
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

264 Reviews

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:19 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Okay, then, looks like we'll call the contest today instead of going into the last round. Since Mea is voluntarily withdrawing, that leaves @PrincessInk as the last contestant going forward, and thus our GRAND CHAMPION! Hooray!

Final placements!
FIRST PLACE - @PrincessInk
SECOND PLACE - @Mea
THIRD PLACE - @EternalRain

I'll get to work sorting out the prizes. Thanks for all your participation! Great work everybody!

You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan