z

Young Writers Society

R.E.D. 2.0

Reviews: 1
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:28 pm
View Likes
Contest says...

@Mea Yes, log them in your own timezone!

Other than that, the contest starts today, but that doesn't mean you have to join today! Good luck to everyone participating!
My current pride and joy: R.E.D. 2.0
My last pride and joy: R.E.D.

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:47 pm
View Likes
Tuesday says...

*sigh* okay, let's do this.

Spoiler! :

January
31. never alone

February

March

What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:27 pm
View Likes
Contest says...

R.E.D. 2.0 Newsletter: Tuesday, January 31st, 2017

Hello, reviewers! While this week's newsletter is going out on a Tuesday, hopefully all of the other newsletters will be posted on Sunday evenings. (Keep in mind that the evenings correspond to whenever it's evening in Eastern Standard Timezone, so it might be morning or in the middle of the night depending on where you live.)

Rankings:

In each newsletter there will be rankings of the Top 5 Reviewers. As you know, only the Top 3 Reviewers will actually get the prize in the end when the R.E.D. ends. If you're in the Top 5 Reviewers, then you will be pinged and your total of reviews will be displayed here next to your fellow competitors in the top! Remember that you should be keeping track of your own reviews in your thread--it makes it a whole lot easier if you update it as frequently as you review so we know how much you've actually done!

Challenges:

Who doesn't like a good challenge? There will be challenges introduced throughout this contest and you're able to earn a Snazzy Square! What's a Snazzy Square? Well, the title is pretty self-explanatory. It's snazzy and it's a square. :P

Here's a few examples from last year's R.E.D. (remember, these specific squares are no longer eligible to be won)
Hedge Clipper was related to clearing the Green Room.

A Splash of Color was related to using color-based coding to add a bit of color to the reviews!

This one was related to reviewing works by new members to the site!

Snazzy Squares will be introduced every so often, depending on the needs of the writers and reviewers on this site. If we notice that older chapters have been sitting in the back of the Green Room, then we might offer incentive to review them by creating a Snazzy Square for competitors to add to their joining posts! (Incentive may also be created by making all reviews on chapters over [x] days old worth double, depending on the circumstance!) So be on the lookout for challenges! They might just allow you to get ahead.

Reviewing Shoutouts:

Throughout this contest, we will be looking at positive and strong reviews and will broadcast them if we think they deserve recognition! So watch out, because we'll be watching you! :p But really, if you have any suggestions for a strong or positive review that's more spectacular than usual, feel free to PM this account and we'll look it over to include in the next newsletter.

Reviewing Articles:

Every newsletter, we will leave links to articles that are related to reviewing or helping authors improve. We highly recommend that you read them, because they can be incredibly useful in helping you to develop your style as a reviewer. This time there's only one article, and it's the classic: The YWS Critique Sandwich

Ending Statement:

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, then send this account a PM or leave a question on this thread!

Remember, there is no deadline for joining R.E.D.! If you've just seen this post and think it looks cool, then just reply to this thread with the spoiler that includes your log of future reviews! The more we have, the merrier it will be!

We suggest that you subscribe to this thread so that you don't miss all the cool things like the challenges and the newsletter!

-The Members Behind Contest

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I'm dropping out. Though I can probably promise a review per day, I don't think I can log on and review every day.
Good luck guys!
We were born to be amazing.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:58 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

I need to step out as well. Life is kicking me with spurred boots. I'll give a few thousand to the account for fairness' sake.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:26 pm
View Likes
Contest says...

R.E.D. 2.0. Newsletter: Sunday, February 5th, 2017

Rankings:

The rankings for this week are in! You all have been doing great at reviewing, and these are the top five reviewers of this first week into the contest! At this point, it's a rather close race and anyone can take the top spot!

In fifth place we have a large tie between @niteowl, @Noisette, @EternalRain and @Falconer, all with 5 reviews!

In fourth place, @marmalade, @Omnom and @Steggy take the spot with 6 reviews!

In third place, @Nikayla clocks in with 7 reviews!

In second place, we have @Carlito with 8 reviews!

And in first place, we have @herbgirl with 10 reviews!

Challenges:

Two new challenges arrive this week! To validate or receive Snazzy Squares for these challenges, you have to contact the account with the proof that you've done the things required to get the badge. Reviews that qualify for these badges must be written after this post is made, in other words, you can't use reviews that you've already done before even knowing about the challenge.

The first challenge is called the Monster, where the goal is for you to have a review that has a length of 7,500 characters or more without quotes. Proof can be done by sending us a screenshot of the review after you submit it via PM with the subject line "Monster Review". Once we see that, we will supply you with the Snazzy Square!

The second challenge takes the name of Chainmail, where you chain five or more chapters of the same novel. The proof that you've earned this badge is via PM by sending us a PM with the subject line of "Chainmails" where you can either notify us about the novel that you've reviewed five or more chapters of or you can link them in your log for the sake of making them easier to find.

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[img]http://i.imgur.com/TJhW2HA.jpg[/img]

Reviewing Shoutouts:

Here are a couple of reviews to check out from some of the participants so far. These are reviews that we've seen as quality and we encourage you to check them out!

@Omnom on the work Voices of the Ice: Chapter 1.

@EternalRain with her review on the work I'll Write What's Mine.

Reviewing Articles:

The YWS Critique Sandwich

It's the classic YWS Critique Sandwich, here again for you to look back to whenever you're feeling stuck or if you need a guide to the very surface of reviewing.

A Rundown on Reviewing

This article is made by the lovely @Kyllorac and goes in-depth about reviewing, what makes a good review, and much more! We highly suggest you check out this article if you're having trouble forming your reviews and thinking about the author of the work.

Ending Statement:

As always, we suggest you subscribe to this thread so that you get all the updates and newsletters that come along! If you have any questions or suggestions, always feel free to ask them or suggest them, whether it be contacting the account or in the thread itself. We'd love to see more Reviewing Shoutouts and Reviewing Articles suggested, so go ahead and throw them at us if you feel like you've found a good one. (Don't worry! We don't bite! You don't even have to be a member of the contest to send us a review that you think would be good to shoutout!)

Happy reviewing!

-The Members Behind Contest

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:13 am
View Likes
SteppeVesteffi says...

I'm going to have to bow out, sadly. Good luck to the rest of you guys! :D

*goes off and donates 1000 points*

624 Reviews

Reviews: 624
Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:54 am
View Likes
Casanova says...

Since I'm joining late I'll make it fair and donate a bit to the account :P
Red Count- 41
Spoiler! :
January
31. nada

February
1. nope
2. nah
3. nope
4. nah
5. nope
6. nah
7. nope
8. work/BlueRoses15/forgotten-wishes-133930?c=609321#c609321
9. work/SirLight/Payment-for-Independence-133941?c=609415#c609415
10. work/herbgirl/love-is-wrapped-around-deaths-finger-133942?c=609504#c609504
11.work/BiscuitsLeGuin/The-Beginning-of-the-Future-114366?c=609567#c609567
12.work/Mea/The-Ghost-Bus-Chapter-1-133974?c=609660#c609660

March
Last edited by Casanova on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Chat's bangin' yo

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 pm
View Likes
SilverBerry says...

Ahhh I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll try!

REVIEW COUNT: 20

Spoiler! :

January
31. Ummm

February
1. Whoops
2. Nope
3. Dang it
4. Nah
5. Not yet
6. Uh oh
7. Arg
8. work/Nieeblur/The-Last-Call-133918#c609378

work/DarkPandemonium/Thou-art-more-orange-and-more-awful-133926?c=609389#c609389

9. work/Dest/Play-it-Cool-Al-133910#c609439

10. work/herbgirl/love-is-wrapped-around-deaths-finger-133942#c609553

11. work/KAL/insert-smile-here-133949#c609608
12. work/Casanova/She-came-to-me-from-the-Ocean-133961#c609730
13. work/Ulysses/Untitled-133988#c609825
14.work/InfernoGiraffe23/The-First-Love-134008#c609941
15.work/philoneist/Hear-my-Plea-134015#c610039
16.work/herbgirl/call-me-the-lovely-vendor-132779#c610135
17.work/carlysle/Memories-from-a-Roadside-Motel--Runaway-134063#c610218
18.work/NightKaizer/In-Hell-134083#c610269
19.work/EternalRain/Inevitable-134076#c610348
20.work/CrimsonQuill/Take-Heed-134131#c610491
21. :(
22. :(
23.work/Lily708/Hear-me-Pals-134157#c610671
24.work/Mage/Tales-Chapter-1-134167#c610773
25.work/Kazeybear/Anuptaphobia-133922#c611071
26.work/hopefull1writter/Chapter-one-of-Imperfect-Disturbance-134148#c611222
27. :(
28. :(
29. :(

March
1. :(
2. :(
3. :(
4. :(
5. :(
6. :(
7.work/Empires/Confessions-from-the-optimistic-pessimist-134398
24.work/BlackWidow/Society-Killed-the-Teenager-134654#c613597
30.work/Pentavalence/This-time-you-arent-here-134781#c614213

Last edited by SilverBerry on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:48 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

*quietly and casually joins* ahahah I'm going to die lol

Review Count; 2
Spoiler! :
January

February

13. Dreaded Dinner Party (Edited) by @Dest

16. Yearning by @coehl

March

Completed Challenges;
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 pm
View Likes
Contest says...

R.E.D. 2.0. Newsletter: Sunday, February 12th, 2017

Rankings:

In fifth place, @marmalade rolls in with 13 reviews!

In fourth place, we have @Carlito with 14 reviews!

In third place, we have @Nikayla with 15 reviews!

In second place, @herbgirl rolls in with 18 reviews!

And in first place, we have @Casanova with 40 reviews!

Challenges:

One new challenge introduced this week is called Flutist! You'll be able to achieve this challenge by finding and reviewing five sets of lyrics! Who knows, there might be an extra prize involved in doing that. :P

Spoiler! :
[img]http://i.imgur.com/5YHJXE8.jpg?1[/img]

The final new challenge for this week is called Beast Slayer. The qualifications to earn this snazzy square are simple. If you've found and reviewed a piece with a word count of or over 4,000 words, then you have slayed a beast and are deserving of the square!

Spoiler! :
[img]http://i.imgur.com/QAGsLlM.png[/img]

The challenges put forth last week are still applicable until they are retired, so don't hesitate in trying to earn them! You can read about them under the spoiler.
Spoiler! :
Monster: where the goal is for you to have a review that has a length of 7,500 characters or more without quotes. Proof can be done by sending us a screenshot of the review after you submit it via PM with the subject line "Monster Review". Once we see that, we will supply you with the snazzy square.

Chainmail: review five or more chapters of the same novel. Please link them in your log, like with any review, and notate the fact that they are a chainmail review!

Reviewing Shoutouts:

Fonts Have Stories Too by @Carlito.

Something Happened Last Night by @niteowl.

Reviewing Articles:

As always, the YWS Critique Sandwich.

A Rundown on Reviewing

This article by @Kyllorac is back! It's actually been updated since the last newsletter, so be sure to check it out!

What isn't a good critique?

This happens to be a new one for this week, and it's from @Snoink. It's a wonderful article that tackles the topic of what isn't a good critique rather than what is.

Ending Statement:

Discord Server link: https://discord.gg/sZW655s
(If the link does not work, then shoot us a PM and we will try to work something out.)

We have decided to add a Discord server for the sake of easier communication between Contest members and contestants. As with most chatrooms, we have our own rules, so please read them before leaving a message in the general chat! Thank you so much. Don't forget to suggest Reviewing Shoutouts as well as Reviewing Articles, as we're always accepting those.

As always, happy reviewing!

- The Members Behind R.E.D.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 am
View Likes
Steggy says...

I have to drop out because life is being mean and can't keep up to RED. Good luck to everyone, though! :D
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I'm sorry to have to do this but life has led me to this, I must resign. Sorry noble warriors for promising to take part in a crusade but the evils of the dragons have come upon me and I must take my leave. In other words, I have no choice but to do this.
I'll also donate my respective share of the treasure. (*cough* my debts)
Good luck to the rest of you.
-Lizz

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 pm
View Likes
Contest says...

Hi, all! We'll be postponing the newsletter to Tuesday night due to things that we've been discussing and for the fact that we totally did not forgot about the newsletter happening today, and we're sorry for that. We'll try to get it out as soon as possible. Of course, this won't hurt anything and hopefully the newsletter after this one will be on Sunday once again.

- The Members Behind Contest

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:35 am
View Likes
Contest says...

R.E.D. 2.0. Newsletter: Tuesday, February 21st, 2017

Rankings:

In fifth place, we have @Nikayla with 20 reviews!

In fourth place, @EternalRain slides in with 21 reviews!

In third place, @Falconer and @niteowl leap into the spot with 22 reviews!

In second place, @Carlito and @herbgirl tie with 28 reviews!

And in first place, we have @Mea with 31 reviews!

Challenges:

This week, there's one new challenge being introduced!
LMS: The qualifications to complete this challenge and earn the snazzy square are simple. Find a chapter from the Last Man Standing contest and review it! There's an added reward, so every one review on a LMS chapter counts as two when tallying your scores! How's that for a bonus? :P
Spoiler! :
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fxpwXsU.png[/img]

The challenges put forth in the previous weeks are still applicable until they have been designated as retired, so you can still earn them if you wish. They have been put under the spoiler in order to not take up space.

Spoiler! :

Monster: where the goal is for you to have a review that has a length of 7,500 characters or more without quotes. Proof can be done by sending us a screenshot of the review after you submit it via PM with the subject line "Monster Review". Once we see that, we will supply you with the snazzy square.

Chainmail: review five or more chapters of the same novel. Please link them in your log, like with any review, and notate the fact that they are a chainmail review!

Flutist: Find and review five sets of lyrics to earn this square.
[spoiler]Image
[img]http://i.imgur.com/5YHJXE8.jpg?1[/img]

Beast Slayer: find and review a work that has over 4,000 words or more. If you have done so, then you have slayed a beast and have earned the square!
[img]http://i.imgur.com/QAGsLlM.png[/img]

Reviewing Shoutouts:

Wilting Plant in a Black Glass Case by @KAL

Take Heed by @SilverBerry

Reviewing Articles:

The classic YWS Critique Sandwich takes its place as always.

A Rundown on Reviewing

What isn't a good critique?

Reviewing Writers More Skilled Than You

This is the new article for the week by @Megrim! It happens to be quite recent and tackles what to do if you're reviewing writers that are more/you feel to be more skilled than you. We highly suggest that you check it out as it is beautifully constructed.

Ending Statement:

We apologize for the delay this week! Life ended up getting in the way for all of us, and we'll try and get back onto the regular schedule of posting the newsletters on Sundays.

We have a banner to put at the end of reviews!
[img]http://i.imgur.com/wYpPo2Y.png[/img]

We are introducing some new guidelines! Don't worry, they're nothing major.

1. If a contestant goes 7 days without reviewing and without sending in points, then they have automatically dropped out and we shall be sending them a PM to gather the points for the days missed.
If a contestant goes 10 days without reviewing while still sending in points, then they will have automatically dropped out at the end of the 10th day.

If you drop out and drop back in to the contest, you still maintain your previous review score and can continue as normal.

2. We are instating a cap of maximum 6 reviews per day counting towards your total review score. There is an exception for Review Day, where there is no maximum cap for how many reviews count toward your review score.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, then you can send us a PM or you can join our Discord server where we try to answer questions as quickly as possible.

As always, happy reviewing!

- The Members Behind Contest

Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell