z

Young Writers Society

How to Report: threads, trolls, members, spam etc.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:11 pm
View Likes
Big Brother says...

Here at YWS, the moderators and administrators are committed to making this site safe and enjoyable for every member. Unfortunately, from time to time, there can be instances that disrupt this.

Whenever that happens, it is important that you let us know. But when should you report? Where is the line between behavior that is appropriate and behavior that is not?

Do not hesitate to report a member if they are making you feel uncomfortable in any way, including:

- Being personally insulting and/or absolutely rude towards your work or the work of others in and outside of reviews
- Threatening you in any way
- Linking you to an outside source that makes you feel uncomfortable
- Sharing inappropriate sexual material or having conversations along similar lines with you
- Continuing to ask for your personal information after you have expressed that you do not wish to give it

To report something, please PM an active junior moderator, global moderator or administrator about the situation or utilize the "Contact Mods" button on the top of the screen. If you are reporting a forum post, please include a link and copy of the text for easy access. The moderators will take appropriate action. Also, if there is someone making you feel uncomfortable and you are unsure as to whether their behavior is worth being reported, report it anyway. We'll decide if anything needs to be done.

All members of YWS are expected to follow site rules including site-moderators. In the event that the person you would like to report is a Junior Moderator or Distinguished Junior Moderator, you may not want them to be involved in the reporting process, so please use the "Contact Mods" button - where the information will only go to the Global Moderators and site Admins unless there is a consensus that the information needs to be passed on. If the person you would like to report is a Global Moderator or Distinguished Moderator, please send a PM to Nate and Meshugenah.

Please note that you can always remain anonymous if you so choose. Your report will always be kept confidential to ensure your maximum safety. When moderators receive reports, the process of handling them is that we 1) bring the report to the attention of the rest of the moderating team 2) we review the evidence, that user's history, and follow-up to gather more information as needed 3) we compare what has happened with the YWS Rules 4) as a team we come to a consensus on the best course of action 5) we follow up with the person who reported, and if necessary contact the person who was reported with any further instructions or disciplinary consequences. Because YWS Mods live time zones around the world, this process can take anywhere from a few hours, to a few days, but you will typically be contacted after your report has been handled.

Read this for more information and guidance on Internet Safety Here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask below, or PM a mod and we can clarify!

-Your Friendly Neighborhood BB

updated 9/01/2023

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 am
Kafkaescence says...

Hear, hear.
#TNT

WRFF

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Blues says...

*fixed broken link*

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:38 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

What about reporting threads? I clicked on a link someone gave me, and it came up with a bunch of stuff saying that I needed to contact an administrator, and send them a copy of what they were saying... But, I've been trying to find out how to send a copy ( I'm trying to find out how to post pictures! ), and altough they said it was important, I'm not really sure!?

I'm just super confused! DX
100% autistic

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Oh OK, that makes sense. Thanks @Nate!
100% autistic

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 pm
View Likes
deleted5 says...

Anyone else love the term troll? :3
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:18 pm
View Likes
raevynstar says...

I wasn't sure how to report this, but there are two reviews of my story
Someday
that are exactly the same.
Word for word. The one by "Sidd[not putting the rest for privacy]" came later, and I think it's just a copy-and-paste of another person's legit review.
Why read this? Why not do that thing you always wanted to do?
Go now. Find your passion. I'm sure it's not reading signatures.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:10 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

@CuriosityCat and I were looking through that user's account too, (Wall, reviews, works, etc) and we found that he plagiarized someone's work (Public Pool) and also copy/pasted that same work as a review (work/siddharthnair/This-I-Believe-Promises-Arent-Real-121508#c538510).
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:23 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Please PM any moderator (users in light/dark green, red, or even black) with any reports you have. Thanks!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 pm
View Likes
Radrook says...

How do I place someone on ignore?
How do I delete a review that the author reacts to in a rather nasty way?
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:18 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

@Radrook - YWS does not support putting someone on ignore in the same way other sites do; however, you can block a user from your profile if you go to Settings > Profile > Privacy. This will prevent the user from seeing and commenting on your wall posts, but it will not prevent them from commenting on your literary works or replying to your forum posts.

As for deleting reviews, there is no way for members to delete their own reviews because it would be rather easy to abuse. However, if a member is harassing you or won't leave you alone, please report it to a moderator ASAP.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:04 pm
View Likes
wordwing says...

AlexSushiDog wrote:Anyone else love the term troll? :3

I do;).

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:29 pm
View Likes
Radrook says...

Mea wrote:@Radrook - YWS does not support putting someone on ignore in the same way other sites do; however, you can block a user from your profile if you go to Settings > Profile > Privacy. This will prevent the user from seeing and commenting on your wall posts, but it will not prevent them from commenting on your literary works or replying to your forum posts.

As for deleting reviews, there is no way for members to delete their own reviews because it would be rather easy to abuse. However, if a member is harassing you or won't leave you alone, please report it to a moderator ASAP.

Thanks a million. Settings, profile, privacy. Good to know. Kind Regards.
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian