Young Writers Society

Internet Safety

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:01 pm
View Likes
Big Brother says...

Hi everyone!

Ultimately, what goes on the Internet stays there. Yeah, yeah, you’ve probably gotten tons of warnings and heard stories about things going terribly wrong. The thing is, these threats are very real.

You are responsible for your safety on the Internet.

Let's go over the basics:

Personal Information

- When you're posting on the public forums, never give out your city. It's easy for people to track you down, especially if you live in a smaller town or village.

- This also means never giving your address, phone number, or last name out on the public boards. Any private information as such can attract all sorts of negative influences that you'd wish you never invited into your personal life. If you give any of it out to specific users, this is your choice but also your liability.

- Some social media sites contain a lot of personal information. Any social media account that includes personal information for either yourself or location is not allowed to be posted on YWS. These include, but are not limited to, Facebook profiles, Snapchat, Instagram, Google plus, Tik Tok, and GoFundMe. If the accounts are fan/author accounts that do not include any of your personal identifying information and are not being used to solicit money they may be allowed on a case by case basis.

Chatting and Outside Websites

- The YWS chatroom is a great way to get to know people. But you don't know who is really behind that screen. Although they may tell you who they are, they can be an entirely different person in reality. Avoid giving out too much information about yourself, and if someone is coming on strongly to you and you feel uneasy, please contact a moderator and we'll help you out. If possible, save the chat logs when you report the moderator. We will investigate further for your safety.

- Only give out your Facebook, Twitter, or other online profiles to people you trust tremendously. These profiles contain most, if not all, of the traceable items listed here. This includes not linking to any Facebook albums or pictures you've posted on your profile. In fact, you aren't allowed to give these out in public forums, including chat and in the forums.

- If you want to talk to YWSers through outside sites (i.e. Discord, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook) safely, there is always the option of alternate accounts where you can decide how much information you share.

Skype and Other IM Accounts

- Skype and other video chatting devices can be fun but also dangerous. Don't go into webcam conversations you aren't comfortable with, and never feel pressured into joining group chats. There is a lot of talk on Skype, but check with your parents first. If someone from YWS is ever making you uncomfortable in an outside source, please leave immediately and tell the mods. We can address it from within the site to protect not only you but the rest of the site as well. Your report will be kept confidential, so no need to worry.

- If someone from the site has added you to instant messaging services, such as Discord, AIM, MSN, Yahoo! Googletalk, etc., and you feel uncomfortable talking with them, don't hesitate to block them.

- Avoid making any links to IM accounts or personal links in your profile. If someone wants it, carefully consider the person, and if you feel comfortable enough, PM it to them. If you want to show you have an IM account, you can put "Please PM me for it" instead of posting your screenname or e-mail publicly.

Pictures

- Never post pictures online which may give any hint of your identity or location. Even a school sweater or logo can give away tremendous amounts of information. Information about you is very easy to find through your school. If you realize you’ve posted such a picture or see one of the such, please contact the mods.

- Related to the above, try to avoid posting too many pictures even in Post Your Pic threads.

Sexual Contact

- Do not contact any YWS member for sexual activity. First of all, these people are strangers to you, even though you may feel like you know them. Second of all, we have had cases where people have been maliciously contacted through YWS for sexual activity, and we want to be as safe as possible. Finally, if these aren't enough reasons already, sexual activity on YWS is against the rules. So, don't do it.

If you are contacted by anyone for sexual reasons, please report it to the moderating staff.

Recommendations

- On all outside sites, if you get an invitation from someone, and you don’t know who is adding you, block them unless you know who they are and it’s a person you trust enough to give away personal information to. If you don't know them or you have even the slightest concern about them, just say no.

- Don't give out private information about other people. It's their information, and their choice. This especially includes using other people's full names.

- Google your real name and your internet pseudonym. You may be shocked to see the amount of information that is made available through just these two little things.

- If you choose to meet up with someone you meet over the internet, perhaps even YWS, please ensure your parents/guardian(s) are okay and aware of this. Meet in a public place with friends, or if you choose to meet alone, please make sure several trusted individuals know where you are.

- Last, but certainly not least, listen to your parents, moderators, and other trusted people. Very often, they can pick up on suspicious behaviour that you haven't noticed.

--

Please be careful and contact the mods at any time with questions, concerns, suggestions, requests, or even if you just want to chat. We’re here to help you if you need it. We try our hardest to make sure everyone is happy and safe, that everything is kept confidential, and we will always work to solve any issues you may have. We want you to have an amazing experience here at YWS.

We hope that you all continue to have a safe and happy time online. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them below, or PM a JM, Mod, or Admin!

Love,

Ze Awesomesauce Mods of February 2011 <3

updated by Mods of July 2020
Last edited by Snoink on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:07 pm
View Likes
borntobeawriter says...

Thank you for posting this!

It's true that you can never be too sure. I once met up with someone I met on the net and I went to meet at a public place and had my cell phone with me. My best friend called me at previously set up times to ensure I was okay.

Great advice you posted here!

Tanya :D

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 pm
View Likes
thestorygirl says...

Yeah. I go on this site called Stardoll.com because I love fashion ( yeah I'm an obsessed freak). This creepy stalker person asked for my name, so I reported s/he aand they were never seen again. There is a lesson here, NEVER EAT A RAW PICKLE!!!!!!!!!! Duh! Just kidding, but don't do any of the things that a strange person tells you to.

-thestorygirl
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:55 pm
View Likes
WritersUnleashed says...

Thank god. I thought it was going to be one of those "everybody are racists" posts. This is all common sense, and ya, I almost never give out info, and its only my first name and pic, Other than that, its a little creepy.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:22 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I love this thread so much!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:48 pm
View Likes
bugbug368 says...

People should always follow this vital information. Type into youtube Matt Thought He Knew. It's about this boy who thought he was chatting to a girl, but really he was talking to a pedo. I don't want to give too much away! :)
Nobody is more obsessed with Jedward than I am...
- bugbug368

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:44 pm
View Likes
Bivrax says...

Definitely helpful. Thanks.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:48 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

How does one save the log while using the new chatroom?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:47 am
JabberHut says...

Stori wrote:How does one save the log while using the new chatroom?

In the upper right-hand corner of chat, there should be a button called "Open Chat History." You can copy/paste the log from there!
I make my own policies.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:28 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Updated!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 pm
Iggy says...

Bumping this! <3
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:47 am
View Likes
willachilles says...

This was a nice post! And I totally agree with the alternate accounts one...
Do you even YWS?

"Poetry is what happens when your mind stops working, and for a moment all you do is feel."
-ishitadutt

"You have to pretend to sleep before you can ever dream."
-silented1

305 Reviews

Reviews: 305
Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:00 am
speakerskat says...

Yeah , plus now days online dating is super popular , and dangerous . online dating follows these same rules . Wikihow to online date for more information . Just , be safe guys and girls no matter what you do online !

~Kat
Salt in the air, blood in my veins, no more black clouds, just colorful days...

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 pm
RubyRed says...

Thanks so much for this. I don't think many people realize how far spread the internet is and how many people are allowed access to the information posted on this site.
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 am
View Likes
Danni88 says...

This is really helpful, thank you!
Mmm, teatime. I fancy reviews and chips.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Queen Danni of Awesomeland x

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci