Young Writers Society

Chat Room FAQ

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat May 26, 2012 4:31 am
View Likes
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Question: What are you talking about?
Answer: Anything and everything. Bring something up, or watch and jump in when you feel ready.

Question: What is this madness?
Answer: Chat. We like crazy here (unless it's wielding an axe. Then we run. Madly.)

Question: Who's fluffybunny/squirrelgirl/tomandjerry/boxcar/blahblah?
Answer: Wait to see who replies. You'll learn everyone's name (and their eleventy-seven nicknames) eventually, if you stick around.

Statement: That was random.
Reply: Not for chat!

*bows*
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

Reviews: 0
Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:11 pm
ancientlife says...

hi i'm new around here and can someone tell me about this website and what you can do? :)
The world can be amazing when your slightly strange. :D
A good friend is hard to find, hard to lose and impossible to forget.:D

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:38 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

Hey there, ancientlife! Though this forum is actually for chat-specific questions, I'll just give you a quick guide to help you around the site.

Welcome to YWS! The black bar on top gives your your profile, messages and notifications (things that are happening where you previously posted). The last one lets you post writing work. Just click and follow the instructions.

The black tabs are the home page, preferences, where you can set your avatar, friends and username, browse, where you can look at and review people's work, forums, where you can delve into the madness that is YWS, people, which shows what your friends are thinking, storybooks, where you can join a story written by a group of people (great fun) and blogs, where you can make your own and read others' blogs.

You can also chat (yay!) with the chat bar at the bottom of the page, or the big chat button on the left of the home or forum page.

Basically, YWS is a site for writers to have fun and improve their skills. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. The Information Desk will help you.

Have fun!

barefootrunner
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:59 pm
View Likes
RedCassis says...

I went to go in a chat room on the forums, typed out what I wanted and pressed ENTER. Nothing happened.

What's wrong?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Hi Red! The chat can act up at times, just like everything else. You should be able to enter and type just as everyone else, so try again a few times (maybe on a different day as well). If the problem still persists, you might want to PM Nate about it.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:29 pm
CountryGirl120 says...

Stori wrote:Right now the chat isn't loading, merely a white field with the logo and menus. What's causing the problem?

I have the same problem... what's going on?!
~Alexis

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:55 am
Rosendorn says...

Is your flash updated?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:42 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

I am sure that @Fortis and I broke a few rules last night... hehe
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:19 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Demeter, there should be the rules for Wink Murderer in here, too. :-P
100% autistic

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:20 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

timmyjake wrote:I am sure that @Fortis and I broke a few rules last night... hehe

Bad Timmy. Bad!

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Why won't the chatrooms I create delete (even after everyone has left?
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:32 pm
cdog121201 says...

I typed in all caps/chatspeak. Why are people telling me off?
As it says in the chat rules, both are frowned upon on YWS. (However, some of the most common abbreviations, like "brb" and "lol" are accepted.) If you type properly, people will like you a lot better.

ok so, people, including mods, or whatever they are called here, told me that CHATspeak is typically used when CHATTING or texting. Then they all proccedded to get angry with me because i wasusing CHATspeak, while CHSTTING, in a CHATroom..
understand? HELP PLEASEE!!
------CDOG------

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:25 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Haha @cdog121201, I understand your frustration.

The difference is the intended audience. When you're texting on the phone or chatting on Facebook, you're almost certainly doing so with people who know you personally. So using shorthand when texting with them is completely natural. It's like when you're talking with a friend and the two of you use inside jokes and short phrases to communicate.

On the other hand, when you talk with a stranger, it'll take at least twice as long to say something as it would with a friend because the two of you aren't accustomed to one another. It's the difference between saying, "'Sup Mike?," and "Hi, my name is Lee. What's your name?"

When you're in the YWS chatroom, you're essentially talking to a room full of strangers. So just as you more carefully enunciate your words when talking with someone you just met at school, you should be more careful about how you type in the chatroom or in the forums. That is, when you use chatspeak or random capitalization (as you did above), it makes it more difficult for the rest of us to understand you. Even if you do know many of the people in chat well, you should still take the time to type correctly as a courtesy to those who don't know you.

Moreover, YWS' purpose is to promote creative writing as a favorite pastime. As part of that, we encourage one another to use good grammar as much as possible.

tldr; Use chatspeak when talking with friends who know you. But just as you don't say "'sup" to a stranger, you shouldn't use chatspeak in areas online where people don't know you. It makes it more difficult for them to understand you.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 pm
jemming17 says...

How do I change my username?
"Love is just a word, until someone comes along and gives it meaning"

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm
Mea says...

@jemming17 - PM a global moderator or an admin (someone with a dark green or red username) and tell them what you want to change your username to! They'll do it for you. Keep in mind that junior moderators (light green names like me) don't have the power to. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to change your name again for six months, so be sure you like your new one!

(Also, in the future, this might be a better place to post questions: Ask a question here (or start a new topic!) People will be more likely to see it.)
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

We are not to simply bandage the wounds of victims beneath the wheels of injustice, we are to drive a spoke into the wheel itself.
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer