z

Young Writers Society

How to Modify Your Blog

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:12 pm
View Likes
Gladius says...

Ok, a couple questions! (Cuz I'm trying to slowly dig/plow my way through this, and I'm no computer dork. :smt005

1. How can I code to get only the blog to scroll, and not the background? I've tried a couple different commands in the background-attachment: scroll line, but can't quite figure out what it is I'm doing wrong/not doing right.

2. Is there any way to make the content background partially transparent without throwing the image into Photoshop and reloading on the Internet somewhere?

3. My title color isn't changing, even though I put the desired HTML hex-code in the line which has been changing the title color up until this point.
Nevermind! Got it. :)

4. What's the header number that controls the blog description font format?
Fixed it. xD

5. What does each line of header format (h1, h2, h3) correspond to on the blog itself?

Any and all help greatly, greatly appreciated!! :D
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:35 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

1. Try this!

Code: Select all
background-image:url(URL_OF_YOUR_IMAGE);
background-attachment:fixed;

2. Er... what do you mean? Maybe this is helpful? http://www.w3schools.com/Css/css_image_transparency.asp

5. h1 -->title. My title is "OINK!" so that's what's changing it. :)

h3 --> Blog entry title

I can't find what the others are used for. XD Play around a bit!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 pm
View Likes
Gladius says...

1. Yay! Thanks. :D

2. I think this'll do it... *squints* Give me a bit to play around with it and I'll get back to you on that one. xD
EDIT: I think that's on the right track, but so far I can't find where to put it. The closest I've gotten is getting the content (my actual blog) partially transparent against the background. What I'd like to do is make the background semi-transparent-ish, just so it's not so dark/obnoxious against the text, but so that I still have the image in the background and it's not blocked out by a black background behind the text. Is that making any sense?

If it helps any, this is the code I have so far (ignore h4; that's me trying to figure out what it controls :P ):
body
{
   color: #F2CD13;
   font-family: Verdana;
   margin: 0;
   background-color: #000000;
   background-image: url(http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/2800000/Triforce-Wallpaper-the-legend-of-zelda-2832807-1680-1050.jpg); [b]opacity: 0.4;[/b]
   background-attachment:fixed;
   background-repeat: repeat-y;
   background-position: top center;

}

div#content {
   margin-bottom: 1em;
   padding: 0 1em 1em 1em;
   background: transparent;
}

a:link { text-decoration: none; color: #008200;}

a:active { text-decoration: underline; color: #6F1F8C }

a:visited { text-decoration: none; color: #6F1F8C }

a:hover { text-decoration: underline; color: #4589FF; }

div#intro h1 { font-size: 3.0em; font-weight: bold; font-family: Mistral; color: #008200; text-decoration: underline; padding: 0; margin: 0 }

h4 { font-size: 24; font-weight: bold; font-family: Mistral; color: #008200; text-decoration: italic; padding: 0; margin: 0 }

h3 { font-size: 16pt; font-weight: bold; font-family: Bradley Hand ITC; color: #008200; text-decoration: italic; padding: 0; margin: 0 }

The bold part is what I've gotten the most results from; only, it made the actual text and stuff transparentish, not the background picture.

5. Haha! ok. xD Edit: I can't seem to get my blog titles to change from their link color? :? As in, the link color overrides the h3 color (#4589FF > #008200).

Thanks so much! :D
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:38 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Thanks, Snoik. I'm revamping my blog now. You're a genius! :D
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:05 pm
View Likes
TheReader22 says...

How do you make a picture, from a file, work as a background? I've typed the name with the proper ending (png) and I've tried putting it on facebook and using the url, but nothing seems to be working????

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

TheReader22 - try uploading it to photobucket and using the url link from that. Or you could try a similar website. That should work.
Got YWS?

48 Reviews

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 pm
View Likes
TheReader22 says...

Lauren- I tried the photobucket url, but it doesn't work either! The photo I want is a collage I made on paint, is there a problem with that?

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Hello, Snoink!

A million thanks to you for posting this, I was thinking of starting a regular blog since I'd already posted something. Making it pretty is just a bonus. Well, off I go to edit my blog.

ReisePiecey~
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:31 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Reader - Hm, I don't know. I wouldn't think so. The only other thing I can think of (my technology related skills aren't very extensive) is that maybe the size needs to be adjusted or you could be accidently messing something up in the coding. Sorry I'm not much more of a help.
Got YWS?

48 Reviews

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:04 pm
View Likes
TheReader22 says...

Lauren- It's all good! I found a similar website that worked!! :) Thanks for the help though!

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:00 am
View Likes
NYCnightowl007 says...

When you change it so that the text is on a plain background, you just change the HTML color right? Because I've been trying and I always come up with just the background picture and you can't read the words. Help, please?
"I’m usually that guy who violently kicks off his shoes at the front door because there’s something about fake wooden kitchen linoleum that appears inviting to the feverish socked footsies." - Adam Young/Owl City

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:38 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

NYCnightowl007 wrote:When you change it so that the text is on a plain background, you just change the HTML color right? Because I've been trying and I always come up with just the background picture and you can't read the words. Help, please?

Try tweaking this!

div#content {
   margin-bottom: 1em;
   padding: 0 1em 1em 1em;
background-color: #ff9999;
}

This modifies it so that there is a plain background where the content is. I can't stand reading things on a background (it hurts my eyes) so I changed it so that there would be a plain background. The main thing to look at here is "background-color."

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 pm
View Likes
Angela says...

Help? I want to change the font my blog is in, and I've looked at some of the old advice and tried that, but nothing is working. Can you PM me with instructions??? Please?
Colossal Compendium of Complications and Confusion = MY LIFE

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:44 am
View Likes
SmylinG says...

I know this may sound like such a teeny/weird question, but I'll ask it anyway. How do you change the header title where it normally says "my blog". I've been wondering this for awhile! D: I've been wanting to change it ever since I've seen it done on other blogs. I didn't know you could, but maybe that's just me being blind. 0_o
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:44 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

SmylinG wrote:I know this may sound like such a teeny/weird question, but I'll ask it anyway. How do you change the header title where it normally says "my blog". I've been wondering this for awhile! D: I've been wanting to change it ever since I've seen it done on other blogs. I didn't know you could, but maybe that's just me being blind. 0_o

Go to the left tab that says "Blog Title and Description" and change that. No CSS required! :D

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson