z

Young Writers Society

Report a Site Bug

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:12 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Omni wrote:Hi! I am now able to get into the chatroom woot woot! But I am not able to send Private Messages to other users. Whenever I try to send one, it says "It is not able to send Private Messages"

Are you banned?

j/k

Probably a permissions issue. I'll check it out.

425 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:38 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Fixed a bug with the "Who's Chatting?" list. Previously, it always showed the last person who was in there whether or not they're actually there or left eons ago. Now, it only shows people who were there at least a minute ago.

Also, the birthdays list will now only show people who visited within the last six months. Previously, it showed users who were active within the last six months or who had at least 100 posts. One issue caused by that is someone would leave a "Happy birthday!" wall post to someone who was once very active, causing YWS to send a activity email update to that person. But that email would bounce because that person registered in 2006 with an address that would be a bit embarrassing to use as an adult. Any bounces cause the server reputation to decrease, and that's bad for email deliverability.

4100 Reviews

Reviews: 4100
Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:31 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Browser: Opera

Time:

Operating System: Windows 11

Description: A few things seem to have broken. Reviews don't appear to be adding on to the leaderboards. (They are adding to the personal review count and the one in Team Tortoise). Double checking shows that they have appeared in the reviews tab on my profile as well as the notes in the peoples tab. However the site feed is not showing any of the new reviews. Further investigation shows that the site feed appears to have frozen roughly 8 hours ago as the most recent addition to it appears as 53 minutes ago when in fact that post was made just over 8 hours ago. (There have been other things that should have appeared there since then besides the missing reviews)

In addition to this I haven't received any notifications since what appears to be this same 8 hour mark.

Edit: Remembered something else that may be relevant. Earlier today, suspiciously close to this eight hour mark actually, there was some trouble accessing the site. It displayed a General Error screen with the message

"Could not find the required extension [memcached] for the ACM module memcached."

This happened on Android on Google Chrome.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:06 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Description: Got this error report after the morning maintenance:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 69: preg_match(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 69: preg_match(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead

at the time I was posting on the people tab with a whole string of tags. It seems like it still posted my message okay, but I've never gotten an error report on the people tab before.

Details

Windows 11 - Google Chrome

Date / Time 1/2/23 (4:05 PM Central)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:40 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

@lliyah ->> Did you receive the error after posting this comment?
profile.php?u=28954&c=1602126

1227 Reviews

Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:07 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Nate Yep!

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:34 am
View Likes
Nate says...

@lliyah ->> Hopefully, it's fixed now. The error you received is a really interesting one because it refers to a function that works in older versions of PHP but doesn't work in the version that YWS uses. As a consequence, I cleaned up everything that would trigger "the /e modifier is no longer supported" error a long, long time ago. Or at least, I thought I did. Obviously, I didn't.

I updated a few lines of code that may have triggered it, and I'm now unable to replicate it so... fingers crossed.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:38 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Not necessarily a bug per se, but a difference I noticed so figured I'd point it out in case it was unintentional. The leaderboard has been spaced out for ages where you have to scroll forever to get down to "All Time" -- which isn't a huge deal, but I noticed that got tightened up when you started doing your updates a few weeks ago and that was a nice update. But now it's all spaced out again.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:11 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Thanks for reporting that @Shady. It exposed a bug that was causing the calculations for Team Tortoise to always be based on 30 days, making it correct for only 4 months of the year.

Fixed!

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:20 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Browser: Microsoft Edge

I'm currently trying to post a long club forum post and I got this:

HTTP Error 500: YWS can't currently handle this request.

I'm unsure if this is a problem on my end or YWS's end, but I'm guessing it's because my post is too long or has too much formatting.

edit: testing a bit on what can and cannot be posted in the club forum and the problem seemed to be a url formatting that didn't actually link to a url -- which was in quote formatting. If you need the contents of what I was attempting to post, I can PM it to you.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:16 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

@Omni ->> I have an idea of what could be causing that, but could you send me the post you were trying to make as a text document to nate@youngwriterssociety.com? Thanks!

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:40 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Sent!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1227 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:38 am
alliyah says...

Hi Nate, I think usually randomosity thread posts don't show up in the "recent post page" just noting in case that's an error / bug... don't know if it's intentional or unintentional change from last update.

425 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:08 am
View Likes
Nate says...

@lliyah ->> Intentional! I got tired of seeing the Hot Topics list often times not having five topics to put there. I don't much like seeing spam there either, but hopefully it'll just be a temporary thing.

1227 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:08 am
alliyah says...

Got it, I like seeing it full too! Makes sense!

"There is nothing to fear from someone who shouts."
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart