z

Young Writers Society

Taking YWS to a donations-only revenue model

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Since 2006, the Young Writers Society has been funded more or less through advertising. Some months are better than others, but advertising has enabled YWS to operate continuously ever since the site temporarily shut down for financial reasons for a few months in summer 2006.

However, due to a few reasons, I'd like to try moving YWS from an advertising-supported revenue model to a donations-only revenue model. I honestly do not think donations will consistently cover hosting costs or make up for the loss of advertising revenue, but I think it will at least come close.

This is not something that would have worked even two years ago. However, YWS has been around for such a long time that we now have members who joined when they were 14, were active for a few years, but left as time wore on and are now in their mid-20s and donate occasionally to the site. There's also several people who donate every month through subscriptions.

Additionally, I'm increasingly worried about online privacy and the amount of information that is involuntarily stored. The advertising program YWS uses, Google Adsense, once worked by matching ads to the content of the page. But, Adsense now mainly works by tracking your activity and matching ads based on your preferences. As YWS' target demographic is 13-18, that kind of targeting advertising is a concern to me.

Last but not least, the site shutting down again for financial reasons is not in the cards. That happened in a very different time -- it was costing me over $100 a month to keep YWS running at a time when I was fresh out of college and paying for an apartment that was way too expensive for my salary. Revenue per month was also essentially nothing (ad revenue was about $10/month back then, and as payments weren't released until they exceeded $100, that meant a very long wait...).

Nowadays, it costs about $200 per month to keep YWS running. There's three separate servers: the main server, the WriterFeedPad server, and the secondary server for when the main server is down. The main server and WFP have recurring backups through Linode. Other costs include Cloudflare's paid plan, domain registration renewals, and the weekly payments to freakforchrist.

Over this weekend, I'll set up a donation counter to show on the front page sidebar. If you're interested in donating, click here to donate or click on "Become a YWS Supporter" in the footer.

I'm also open to suggestions of what to do with that blank empty space in the header now. I could just remove that area along with the logo altogether, but it's a useful space for announcements so I'd like to keep it.

Anyways, if you have any questions or concern, let me know!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Let me know if there’s anything I can do. I will go homeless before I let YWS shut down ;) <3
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:18 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Could we put a review feature box up there? Like show the latest review in a box like we do when we congratulate users for reviewing during Review Day?

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Oh, I just had an idea - maybe a very short list of upcoming site events? Like "July 2 - LMS begins" or "July - Camp NaNo." It would help get the word out of what we have going on.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:58 am
View Likes
TheWeirdoFromBeyond says...

How about advertising YWS things? Like a story that hasn't gotten reviews yet. Or something in the forums or storybook section that wasn't noticed by many people.
Someone can take the responsibility of searching for such things.
I can't donate yet, since I am just a kid, but I will make sure to come back and donate once I am older. YWS is like a second home to me :D
I don't act this way to change the world, I act this way so that the goddamn world won't change me!
-Desert Hearts
You don't think I am weird? You don't know me at all.
-TheWeirdoFromBeyond

TheWeirdoFromBeyond is a LGBT+ supporter

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:08 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaate. I just saw this completely by accident... and I'm one of the older members that you're targeting! Just so you know that this thread probably needs to be advertised better...

Anyway! I see it now! Will respond to it in a more active way probably sometime later this week... after all, even though I'm barely on nowadays, I do love YWS. <3
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

Aaah I was thinking about this the other day! And then I decided to come back. I'm in a tight spot with money now but I'd promised myself I'd donate once I climb back out of my overdraft.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:06 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Stupid question but - I'm still getting ads. Specifically where the donations scale is, they're overlapping each other... Should I be getting these? The banner ones are gone, but the one on the sidebar is still there.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:37 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I'm having the same issue as @StellaThomas - I was just about to go report it in Report a Site Bug. On the home page, nothing is blocking the donation bar, but on all other pages the sidebar ad is. This is on a Mac using Chrome.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:30 pm
niteowl says...

I'm also seeing an ad under the donation counter on the sidebar. Only on my computer (laptop running Windows 10 in Chrome) and not on mobile. Seems to be on every page.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

425 Reviews

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:39 am
Cadi says...

Hey @Nate! I don't know how much control you have over this, since the donation stuff is presumably managed by an e-payment provider, but: I don't have (or want) a PayPal account, and I can't donate by debit/credit card, because it won't accept my billing address as a valid address.

In particular: 1) State is required, but I don't have a State, because I'm not in the US, and 2) it won't accept my postcode because it's not formatted like a ZIP code.

Are you able to change it to accept non-US addresses?
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:59 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I love that we're 5 days into September and the thermometer is already full. It makes me so happy that we have such a generous and wonderful community!

As a side note, it has disappeared for a moment but maybe it's just calculating the new donation amount.

I definitely didn't break it. Nope. Not me.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

425 Reviews

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:50 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

So, with the donations thermometer, I have it set up to disappear once the goal is reached. Also, any excess is rolled over to the next month. Thus, the thermometer will show up again in October, starting at $45 (13 recurring subscriptions, and $6 excess so far). (on a quick sidenote, maybe what I should do is add the thermometer to the main donations page -- that way anyone can see progress throughout the entire month)

Like Heather, I'm really amazed too at how quickly the goal was reached. I did not think it would even actually happen by the end of September. Thank you everyone for your incredible generosity.

For those who can't donate, don't worry about it at all. Remember, the reason why anyone donates to YWS is because of the great community here. So to encourage donations, go review and participate across YWS!

Also as a quick heads up, I am going to briefly re-enable ads for guests only sometime this month. The Google Adsense revenue is sitting at $87, and that $87 will sit there forever until it crosses $100. So, I'm going to show ads to guests only for about a week. The amount earned will go toward the October goal (so, October may actually start at $145).

@Rydia ->> But you were the one to break it! ;)

@Cadi ->> It should accept non-US addresses. When clicking through to donate with a credit/debit card, there should be a country drop-down near the top of the form.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:00 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

@Nate ->> I don't think it's fair to say that I broke it since you designed it to 'break' :)

I think having it permanently on the donations page is a good idea though and maybe a replacement info-graphic for when it's full just to say the goal has been reached for this month and thank you?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind