z

Young Writers Society

YWS Upgraded to PHP 7

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:46 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The Young Writers Society server is now running on PHP 7! What does this mean for you? Nothing really. The site should run slightly faster, but it was already fairly fast to begin with so you may not notice it.

Mainly, the upgrade was done in order to keep the server up to date. The old version of PHP on the server (php 5.6) will be retired at the end of this year, and I like switching sooner rather than later when it's possible.

However, the upgrade may cause some problems. If you run into any bugs, please let me know. I've already tested the main stuff, but there's lots of little stuff that may still cause errors. One bug I know of is that links to topics and works on YWS no longer show the title. I'll be working on that tomorrow once I get some sleep.

Anyhow, enjoy a now unnoticeably faster site!

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 am
steampowered says...

Hi Nate! @Lightsong and I have been testing out the game function on the chat bar, but the popup window is blank.

However, I'm pleased to report (with the help of @Jhinx, @Lightsong and a few others) that it's now possible to create chat rooms from the chat bar! Except it's not really a chat bar anymore, so I think we need a new name for it.

The only thing I've noticed that's at all different is the chat bar. My first thoughts are that it's less convenient than it was before the update (the boxes are bit large) and the chat rooms take up a lot of space and are difficult to find again if you accidentally exit, but generally it seems to be working well, and I'll probably get used to these new changes. :D
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:58 am
Omni says...

I'm pretty sure you've been able to create chat rooms before xD
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:04 am
steampowered says...

@Jhinx You're right, the chat rooms used to work, but somewhere along the way they got broken. I don't think people really used them enough for anyone to complain.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein