z

Young Writers Society

poetry and short story publication competition!

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 pm
View Likes
ANADIR says...

What we will be doing is collecting a large amount of people that write poetry or short stories. We will all write poetry or short stories, and submit them. Around Halloween, they will be judged, and the top 60% of both the poems and stories will each be put into their own book and published. All the stories in one, and the poems in others. Anyone is welcome!
Is it not human nature to want what we cannot have, and yet manage to overlook the blessings piled upon us?

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 pm
Lee0z says...

So doing this! XD XS X3
Hai!!!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Okay. As soon as you add in published, things get regulated. I have some questions about this.

1- Will it be an ebook or physical book?
2- Are you going to charge for this, or will you make it free to access?
3- Will submissions be paid or simply for exposure?
4- How will you deal with contracts from minors, especially as you are a minor yourself? A digital signature is not sufficient for under 18s.
5- What genres are you looking for?
6- What will this be named?
7- Where will you get the funding to produce a published anthology?
8- How will you promote the anthology?
9- When will the launch date for the anthology be?
10- Why the top 60%? That removes quite a lot of prestige for how much competition you beat out.
11- What publisher will you use to get the book out?
12- Who will be judging this contest?

By the way, these are all basic questions you need to be aware of before you even consider publishing. There are a lot of legal things to keep in mind, along with marketing and promotions, and the quality of the journal itself.

For example, if you don't have a contract outlining an author's rights when it comes to the work being published, you are doing something illegal. You're publishing a piece without the copyright holder (ie- the author's) explicit permission.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

89 Reviews

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:06 am
ANADIR says...

Ok, Lets start to answer these questions.
1. Ebook
2. That will be decided by the winning 60%
3. people that submit their work to the contest will not be paid for submission, but will recieve a percentage of the money from the book sales (if we choose to charge for it.)
4. This is a hard one. I will make a form outlining your rights to your work. If you are a minor, (like me) You can have your parents look at it, or you can just work with the knowledge of the contract. We can probably all trust eachother here.
5. any genre is fine, but please try to keep it pg-13
6. The name will be determined by the winning 60%
7. The funding to produce the book will not even be needed, as I will probably self publish it with all of our names on it.
8. I have a small amount of people watching my work, and I have some free promotion days on amazon. I can also use some other resources I have. (Like the internet, and email)
9. It will be judged on Halloween of this year, and when the cover is made, launched immidiately.
10. this is the top 60% For a few reasons. First, I am not trying to make a real profit with this. This is mostly for poets and authors to get their name out there, and have some fun. The payment is a side bonus. Second, I was not sure we would have enough poets and writers otherwise, though I now believe we will.
11. already answered above. But, I may work with a publisher on it. Unknown.
12. we will all be judging this contest. I will put up a voting link for YWS, and we shall all vote.

You can get most of the information needed here: www.SSPcomp.blogspot.com
Is it not human nature to want what we cannot have, and yet manage to overlook the blessings piled upon us?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:37 am
Rosendorn says...

I will make a form outlining your rights to your work. If you are a minor, (like me) You can have your parents look at it, or you can just work with the knowledge of the contract. We can probably all trust eachother here.

No.

You can't.

Publishing is a complicated legal process where rights and contracts exist to protect the author. Waving those turns any future disputes into a case of hearsay, which is nearly impossible to prove in courts.

In the end, you win (because you published it) and the authors lose (because the work is published, therefore other publishers won't take it, and they have no legal recourse). This is an extremely dangerous situation for an author to be in.

2. That will be decided by the winning 60%
6. The name will be determined by the winning 60%
9. It will be judged on Halloween of this year, and when the cover is made, launched immidiately.

These contradict each other.

First you have to get the top 60% to decide on what's going on. Then you have to name it (and pick a name that can be trademarked, ie- isn't already used as an anthology). Decide on a cover. Decide what to price it and how much it should cost.

These things take time. Especially with such a large number like 60% of entrants (if you end up getting a lot of entrants).

This is mostly for poets and authors to get their name out there, and have some fun. The payment is a side bonus. Second, I was not sure we would have enough poets and writers otherwise, though I now believe we will.

This kind of logic sort of helps aspiring authors and sort of doesn't. Yes there is a certain amount of credibility with gaining a following, but at the same time something small and inconsequential likely won't be brought up in the writer's career, once they get out of short stories in magazines (and even then).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:38 am
Snoink says...

4. This is a hard one. I will make a form outlining your rights to your work. If you are a minor, (like me) You can have your parents look at it, or you can just work with the knowledge of the contract. We can probably all trust eachother here.

Contracts are the way to go! Make a spiffy looking contract, get somebody's address, and send it off! JUST BE SAFE ABOUT THIS. Trust me... It's way better than being sued. ;)

7. The funding to produce the book will not even be needed, as I will probably self publish it with all of our names on it.

...be careful! I did this and ended up spending $150 on producing the book! I self-published on Amazon. And I had a full staff of readers and editors that were unpaid!

This might not sound like a lot, but it's absolutely terrifying when you only had $200 in your account in the first place! :o
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

89 Reviews

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 am
ANADIR says...

I understand. Do you have any ideas on how to make this situation a little "less dangerous to the author?" I am just doing this to help some new authors. And, I want the entirty of the book to be decided by the winning 60%. Since I have no clue if i will win, I will not have any say in the book until we find out who wins. After that, I will be able to help with the book, weather i am in it or not.

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart