z

Young Writers Society

Opportunity: Writers and Contributors: Y-MAGAZINE

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:17 pm
ymagazine says...

--
Last edited by ymagazine on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:02 am
Rosendorn says...

Could you please direct us to a website for us to look at?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:10 pm
ymagazine says...

----
Last edited by ymagazine on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Alrighty. Seeing as I have no website to poke around, it's question time.

1- How do you plan on dealing with the legalities of contracts with under 18s? There are specific guidelines for this.

2- Are submissions paid or free? (Both: do authors have to pay to be considered, and do they get paid if they are submitted)

3- How do you plan on distributing the magazine? Is it paid or free?

4- Are you looking for any particular themes?

5- How many editors and participants do you currently have? You say you have some already, yet you are not launched.

6- When will the first issue be launched?

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 pm
ymagazine says...

-----
Last edited by ymagazine on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:28 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You will be given a consent form for your contributions, but as some of our editors/contributors are under 18 and the idea is that it is written by under 28's this becomes less of an issue.

Do keep in mind the average age of the site is 17, and we have members as young as 12 on YWS. A consent form is good, but you will have to expect to deal with a lot of parents if you're gathering contributors through YWS.

The legalities of dealing with under 18s do not vanish if you have editors under 18. You still have to treat the submitters through the proper legal channels.

What information is required to receive this consent? A digital signature is not sufficient for minors. You will have to deal with scanning of real signatures and/or the wait of snail mail.

Contributors are usually excited to become part of the group or write for us, as we often know people in the same industry or doing something cool in their field of interest and can connect them and the creative aspect of it is something a little bit different and more interesting.

Our contributors are a wide network and the amount of people involved be it photographers, interview subjects, collaborators is huge due to the fact that we are spread world wide, are in the know in our prospective fields and many people are simply attracted to the concept of the magazine.

Can you provide proof of this network? Are their any exact names you can direct me to? Who has endorsed this project?

I would really like to hear more about who you have talked to about this, because you say you have a large network yet I cannot find any evidence of it.

Also, a quick Google of your name revealed several different magazines under the same name, and theme. It would be interesting to know how you plan on differentiating yourself from the competition.

Random avatar

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm
ymagazine says...

----
Last edited by ymagazine on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:06 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I am 20 years old, turning 21 in October, with a degree in advertising, a completed law course under my belt, publishing credit from when I was under 18 from a reputable journal, and it is part of my job as a moderator on YWS to ensure publishing opportunities provided here are valid.

I will be looking forward to this information.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm
View Likes
Juniper says...

ymagazine wrote:We are launching September 16th - but here is our holding page:

All due respect, if you're launching September 16th, why are you trying to recruit before then? @Rosey%20Unicorn raised very valid questions -- you're targeting a young young writer's demographic, so all of the information she asked for should be readily available on your site before you reach out, because there's a high chance that you will encounter contributors who are uninformed about publishing policies. It's your responsibility as a recruiter to make this information available to your market because most young writers will jump at the opportunity to be published without exploring what it entails.

I also noticed that you mentioned a director of finances and sponsorship. Will you be profiting from the magazine? If so, will the young writers be offered any sort of compensation for their efforts beyond exposure?

Have your legalities, especially what rights are covered under signing a contract for publishing with you outlined clearly. Young writers will inevitably seek out publishing opportunities and Rosey's simply looking out for the community by asking the questions most of us would forget in our excitement over an opportunity.
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:41 pm
View Likes
Charlie II says...

ymagazine wrote:...judging by your questioning, I feel that this opportunity is not for you...

Amazing.

So basically, YWSers, if you feel like you might have a legitimate question to ask these people then don't bother. It's only for people who don't ask questions. ;)

Thank you @Rosey%20Unicorn.
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:50 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

First rule of freelance: If an opportunity refuses to answer questions, then avoid the opportunity.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

Spoiler! :
I apologize and realize this is completely irrelevant, but I just had to express my opinion circa this thread

vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:01 pm
View Likes
Master_Yoda says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:it is part of my job as a moderator on YWS to insure publishing opportunities provided here are valid.

*ensure. Just sayin'. ;)
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:09 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

although a YWS-run insurance company wouldn't be a bad idea
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Master_Yoda wrote:
Rosey Unicorn wrote:it is part of my job as a moderator on YWS to insure publishing opportunities provided here are valid.

*ensure. Just sayin'. ;)

Oh shut up. (Also fixed, so hah)

My one true aspiration in life is to make it into the quote gen.
— avianwings47