Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

To apply, go here:
http://www.artandwriting.org/Awards

Eligbility
Students must be enrolled in:
  • Grades 7 – 12.
  • A public, private, parochial, home-school or out of school program.
  • The U.S., Canada, or in an American school abroad.

Here's their press release:

NEW YORK, Sept. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, a nonprofit organization dedicated to recognizing the nation's most talented teen artists and writers, has launched its call for entries for the 2012 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The Awards competition, entering its 89th year, is the nation's longest-running, most prestigious scholarship and recognition program for student achievement in the visual and literary arts.

Creative teens in grades 7-12 are invited to submit work in 28 categories of art and writing, including film and animation, video game design, sculpture, photography, fashion design, poetry, journalism, humor, dramatic script and science fiction. Student submissions are first judged on the regional level by the Alliance's 115 affiliates, with top winning works then presented to national panels of creative leaders to determine which receive the highest honors. This year, joining author Edwidge Danticat as a juror will be curators from major museums, leading journalists, gallerists, artists and established alumnae. Past jurors have included Tony Hawk, Lesley Stahl, Wangechi Mutu, Bill Murray, Judy Blume, and Nikki Giovanni.

"Amazing partnerships with committed organizations are key to the success of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards," said Virginia McEnerney, Executive Director of the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers. "The regional affiliate network, outreach partners, schools, teachers and funders who support our work share our commitment to young people, and affirm that creative accomplishment is a gateway to success in many different fields. Our students thrive with the support of scholarship partners including Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA), Kenyon College, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and Carnegie Mellon University."

Fifteen graduating high school seniors will be awarded with Portfolio Gold Medals, which include a $10,000 scholarship for each winner. Additional scholarships are made available to Portfolio Silver Medalists and through sponsored awards and stipends to summer arts programs. The Alliance will offer more then $270,000 in direct scholarships and awards this year. Teachers of award winners also receive recognition, and hundreds of high school senior award winners are eligible for nearly $4 million in scholarships through a network of more than 60 colleges and universities that recognize the significance of the Awards.

Since 1923, nine million students have been recognized through exhibitions and publications and have shared in more than $25 million in awards and scholarships. The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards has a long list of distinguished alumni who rose to the top of their creative fields since they won their awards in high school, including Andy Warhol, Robert Redford, Sue Miller, Richard Avedon, Zac Posen, Joyce Carol Oates, Tom Otterness, Sylvia Plath, John Lithgow, Ned Vizzini, Philip Pearlstein and John Baldessari. As the program prepares for its 90th anniversary in 2013, the Alliance is calling all alumni to reconnect and join in the celebration.

The Alliance is proudly supported by Scholastic Inc., the Maurice R. Robinson Foundation, Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, AMD Foundation, Command Web Offset, The New York Times, Blick Art Materials, Ovation, New York Life Foundation, Amazon and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.

2012 award winners will be announced in early spring. In the meantime, a traveling exhibit featuring work from the 2011 winners, ART.WRITE.NOW, will tour cities across the country. For more information about the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, how to enter, reconnecting as an alumni or exhibit details, visit www.artandwriting.org. Plus, find us on Facebook and Twitter.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:36 pm
View Likes
silentpages says...

I was already plannin' on registering for this tonight. ^^ Anyone else? Who's up for it?
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I think I may!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:12 am
View Likes
Jas says...

It's not even funny how much I want to be recognized somehow in this.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:44 am
View Likes
Evi says...

I am so there. YWS needs to dominate this contest, guys.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:11 am
silentpages says...

Question: I've registered, but have not uploaded my project info yet... If I'm understanding the FAQ, I can edit the work itself up to the deadline, even after I upload the info... But how does the paperwork fit in? T-T *so lost*
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:33 am
View Likes
Evi says...

Bumping this, because early deadlines with reduced fees (for my region at least) are coming up in mid-December. This is a really great opportunity that seems like it was custom-made for YWSers, so please, don't miss your chance!
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

336 Reviews

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:42 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Entered this. :D

Some of our novelists should enter their book for the novel portion of this contest. If chosen, the book gets published!
I am nothing

~*~

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:45 am
Alz says...

Just came across this today... I would have totally entered too. DX
Next year, I guess.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. - Robert Cormier

Check out my blog at http://missalliesadventures.blogspot.com

336 Reviews

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:11 am
View Likes
Jas says...

AHHH I GOT A SILVER KEY IN THIS OMG OMG OMG SO HAPPY I CANT EVEN OMG.
I am nothing

~*~

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:11 pm
View Likes
TheDayBeforeTomorrow says...

I would register, but I'm not in USA, Canada, or an American school. I'm halfway across the world. :(
Veni. Vidi. Vici.

People are made of places. They carry with them
hints of jungles or mountains, a tropic grace
or the cool eyes of sea-gazers. -EB

Love thy mangoes or die.

Reviews: 3
Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:50 pm
WritingLUV says...

i can't regester either
Writer Forever

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson