Young Writers Society

Pitch Wars!

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Edited with the 2016 information.

If you're not familiar with it, Pitch Wars is so, so cool! Published authors, agented writers, and freelance editors come together to help people polish their novel and gain agent representation all within the span of a couple of months!

You are able to enter Pitch Wars if:
1. You have completed a novel.
2. The novel falls in the adult, new adult, young adult, or middle grade age categories.
3. The novel has been edited and polished.

Here's how it works:
There are 108 mentors (those are the published authors, agented writers, and freelance editors). Each of them represent one or two of the age categories. Within the age category they want to read a variety of genres, subgenres, or specific plots. You the writer peruse their blogs and Twitter feeds and pick 5 that you think you want to work with.

On August 3rd (one day only but it's open for 24 hours) you can fill out the submission form.

The submission form will require your query letter and the first chapter of your novel.
The mentors that you selected will receive your submission and they will read it. If they like it, they'll ask for a synopsis of your book, more of the book, or the full manuscript. (If they don't, many will give you at least a sentence about why).

Each mentor will pick one lucky person/book. They will then work with that person over the course of two months to polish the manuscript and make it even more beautiful and lovely.

Then, literary agents will be able to view your materials and offer you representation if they like what they see!

People have gotten book deals from this contest.

Brenda Drake hosts the contest. Her website will have more information about the contest as it draws closer.

Timeline:
June 27th - July 15th: she'll be posting little bios about most of the mentors on her blog so you can start to get a sense of who you might be interested in working with.
July 19th - August 2nd: live chats with the mentors (probably on Twitter).
July 20th - August 3rd: Mentor blog hop (this is when all of the mentors post something on their blogs about what they're looking for, what their editing style is like, and why you should pick them so you can pick the mentors you might want to work with).
August 3rd: Submission window opens.
August 25th: Mentees chosen and announced.
There will also be an agent round, but I'm not sure when that is happening yet this year (I'll update once I know).

A lot of stuff happens on Twitter, so if you're thinking about entering, I would strongly recommend following Brenda Drake (@brendadrake), any mentors you're thinking about submitting to, and the hashtag #PitchWars.

This will be my 3rd year submitting to the contest, so please let me know if you have any questions either here or as a PM.

Good luck! :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:52 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Pitch Wars is back for 2016! I've updated the first post with information about what is happening this year :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value...
— John Oliver