z

Young Writers Society

Looking For Teen Writers!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 am
BrettStewart says...

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to make a post to present an opportunity I'm creating for youth writers to exhibit their work online.

I'd like to first introduce myself! My name is Brett Stewart; I'm a high school senior in Colorado. For three years, I created and published a professional, entirely student-run publication, 'Strike Magazine.' Strike was a creative outlet for students to have the opportunity to have their creative writing published. It was even a registered company in Colorado, allowing students to deal with real business working with ad contracts in the community. Strike recently concluded its final issue in January, publishing over 200 pages of content in three years. Now, I'm working on a new online publication, but this time I'm reaching out on the internet for teenagers' content.

I'm gauging whether or not there would be enough interest from enough teenagers to launch a new website and company. I want to launch a website devoted entirely to publishing youth writing. Obviously, there are many forums that already offer this ability to youth writers, such as this one, but this would be quite different.

The website would be designed to operate like a professional news website. We would be putting together a staff of writers that collaborate online to release articles on a weekly basis. Everything from politics, news, creative writing, music, movies and reviews to sports, columns and more. Essentially, an online magazine.

Right now, I want to determine whether or not interest in a project such as this is apparent. So, I'd love to hear from all of you as to whether or not a website/publication such as this, would be something that you would be interested in working on.

Below I've linked two copies of Strike for you all to peruse. The first is when the publication was being printed as a forty page magazine on a quarterly basis, the second is when the publication converted to a newspaper and printed on a monthly basis. I've also put my own personal website below.

I look forward to hearing from any of you!

http://issuu.com/strikemag/docs/strikem ... winter2012
http://issuu.com/strikemag/docs/strikeissue5
http://brettstewart.net/

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:03 am
Rosendorn says...

How familiar are you with publication contracts and how they are handled for minors?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 am
BrettStewart says...

Essentially, I want the website to act as a portal for work that has been accepted to be showcased on the site. More so, I want to create a staff that regularly writes, rather than constantly publishing submissions from all sorts of different people.

Similar as to how I operated as the Editor & Chief of Strike, I'm not going to require a publishing contract for my writers. My writers retain full rights of their work, and my publication is simply acting as an outlet for them to show that work. (Within outlined boundaries for content, set forth by the publication before writing is considered) Furthermore, I'm not contracting any writers into agreements - The entire project is propelled by writers who want to publish their content purely for the enjoyment of doing so.

Essentially, I'm looking to form a group of like-minded young writers who would like to submit to a fairly low-key website on a semi-regular basis as an additional outlet for their work.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:00 am
lostthought says...

Is it just short stories?
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:09 am
StealTheWorld says...

I think it's a great idea. The Strike magazines also showed a lot of improvement. After two years, it changed from something silly and fun to professional and...still entertaining :) so, yes. I'm sure many teenagers would love to take part in your site, as both contributors and readers.
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Formerly: xDarkHeart27x

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

So basically people will be able to remove their work at any time, completely, with no trace left online?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:04 pm
MooCowPoop says...

Yeah, it sounds really cool! I don't really see enough teen-produced work in magazines or newspapers except for teeninks stuff. I think lots of teens would be interested in this. Though I am bit worried about people having to put in a weekly commitment. Many teenagers have other things to do sometimes, so a weekly publication might be a little too demanding.

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Mon May 12, 2014 6:10 pm
Messenger says...

this sounds interesting. Where'd everyone go though?

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:36 pm
Pretzelstick says...

Yeah, I would lobe to write in your magazine.Count me in.You can PM me with more information.Thank..
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief