z

Young Writers Society

Cardiff International Poetry Competition

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:12 pm
OliveDreams says...

So..I was out browsing in my hometown library today, as I am most days, & I stumbled upon this amazing opportunity for ALL of you poets out there!

Good aren't I? :)

The Cardiff International Poetry Competition offers one of the largest monetary prizes for a poetry competition of it's kind. First prize is £5000. Additional prizes are £500 for second place, £250 for third and five runners-up receive £50 each. All entries to the competition will be judged anonymously, so this is a great opportunity to have your poetry judged on its own merits.

You have until Friday 14th March 2014 to write your prize-winning poem and give yourself a shot at £5000, publication, publicity and a real feeling of achievement. The prize winners will be announced on the Literature Wales website and at a prize-giving ceremony in Cardiff in July 2014.

The judges are Lemn Sissay and Rhian Edwards - both UNBELIEVABLY talented and merited in the world of literature. How cool would it be to impress these top-dogs?

Past winners include those who come from;
Sydney
Canada
Swansea
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Wiltshire
Lancaster
London
Hull
Near Sydney
Cambridge

So here are the Conditions of Entry:
1. Each poem must be no more than 50 lines in length and entered on white A4 paper.
2. Each poem must be typed or clearly written on one side of the paper only.
3. Please enclose 2 copies of each poem.
4. No covering letter or other material should be enclosed with your entry.
5. No alterations can be made to your poem once it has been submitted.
6. The entrant may submit an unlimited number of poems, each to be accompanied by a £7.00 entry fee. We can only accept pound sterling (GBP) and regret that monies in other currencies will be returned.
7. Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to Literature Wales.
8. Please check that you have used the correct postage when sending in your entry.
9. The poem(s) and payment should be firmly attached to the entry form with a paperclip. Please do not staple. The name of the entrant must not appear on the poem itself.
10. Once entered, poems cannot be withdrawn from the competition. It is regretted that no entries can be returned.
11. All winners will be requested to provide a biography and photograph and take part in any publicity surrounding the competition.
12. Acknowledgement of receipt of poems will only be given if a stamped, self-addressed envelope marked ACKNOWLEDGEMENT is enclosed.

ELIGIBILITY
13. Entries will be accepted from writers of any nationality and from any country provided that:
(i) they are in English
(ii) they have not been previously published in any form (including on the internet)
(iii) the author is living
(iv) they are not translations of another author's work
(v) they are original, entirely the entrant's own work and do not infringe the copyright or any other rights of any third party.
14. Entries may be in any style and on any subject.
15. Entries should not be submitted into other competitions or for publication elsewhere while the 2014 Cardiff International Poetry Competition is running.
16. Employees of Literature Wales and members of Literature Wales' Committees and Management Board are not eligible to enter.

PHEW! So there you go! Go get poetry-ing!

Check out there website, OVER HERE for more information on the judges, previous winners & their entries.
You can download the entry form and there's an email address if you have any more questions!

BEST OF LUCK AND LOVE YOU CRAZY CATS!!

Olive <3
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman