z

Young Writers Society

Anyone interested in this collaborative writing idea?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:09 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

Ok, so this idea is basically a really intense writing activity that was meant to help people form ideas and expand their imagination.

Here's how it works.

Anyone who wants to participate can join. We all brainstorm a story concept together, and collaborate back and forth in this thread to create a setting, premise, subplot, characters, and details. Then, when we're done with the basics, all who are interested in participating can take the ideas we've came up with (setting, premise, subplot, characters, and details) and write their own (approximately 30 pages maximum if possible?) story. Then, we all come back, and view the different versions of the idea we brainstormed together, just to see the results.

Who's in?

I'll start with the setting, and then someone else can jump in under any category they want. After we've all completed the categories, the next people just jump in and suggest changes to what we've come up with- plot twists, edits, etc. When we have brainstormed everything, anyone who feels like they want to take a stab at writing the story we've set up can start whenever they feel comfortable... then maybe post when they're finished, if they want to share?

Be sure to post what your suggestion is by stating the category: setting, details, subplot, characters, premise, plot twists, edits, writing style, character changes, etc. then what your suggestion is. You can pretty much suggest under any category you feel necessary. It's all freeflowing fun.

Keep in mind, this thread is ONLY for creating the outline of the story. You can do your own version based on what we created, and when it comes to writing the actual story, you can write whatever you want. The main thing is that you take what you like, and have fun coming up with ideas.

Here's my first contribution:

Category: Setting

A magical world, complete with human mages, mythological creatures, modern cities that are unlike our own (more like cities that resemble ancient temple locations except with much more magical energy that keeps them bustling) where there is a war going on.

Your turn! Pick a category, and add on. :)
Last edited by MoonlightMayhem on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

Reviews: 0
Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:47 pm
View Likes
Kopaka says...

My I use my character making ability's here? I'm pretty good with them.
"They are rage, brutal, without mercy, but you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done" -DOOM

7 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:48 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

Go right ahead. Character making abilities are muchly appreciated!
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:56 pm
View Likes
WritingLUV says...

I'll do some of the plot...
The main character accidentally walks through a portal and doesn't know how to get back into the real world. You like or do you like? :smt001
Writer Forever

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Kopaka says...

ok, I have a few that was already made for any use really. (Their free for using and I love making characters)

Type: Frankenstein/Werewolf
Name: Trevor Heiderich
Guardian Mode: Blitzkrieg Lycan

Back-Story (so far): After dieing to protect his Masters home in Germany, his Masters daughter "Maria Fernandez" asked if it was possible to bring Trevor back into the world as a Frankenstein. Knowing the danger of making one they went ahead and got the preparations to do so. Maria put a locket of her in Trevor's hand saying "This should find your way home". Getting back with the group they started the operation. They successfully brought him back to life but at a cost, before he came to his sense's he went into a mindless rampage killing all those nearby. When he finally came to his mind and body, he saw the carnage all around and Maria in the midst of the corpses. She sees what she created and flees. Trevor, now with the only memory of the killings and the locket of Maria, he sets off to find her no matter what gets in his way.

He has four electrodes in his back. two small ones in his hands and one in his chest (main power source) and has a lighting rod connected to the electrodes on his back.
He can make short ranged "electrode discharge" come out of his hands but they'd use the power source from his back. They can be recharge however by electricity or lighting.

Here's a visual for ya. (this isn't how he looks like but some of the moves Goliath uses is a good example what Trevor can do)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGnlj5qwgE

Also his guardian mode is altered with the new enhancements added to him. When he is in wolf mode he can make a lighting/electric wolf like aura around him using the electrodes on his back.

Did a little updating on him....What ya think?
"They are rage, brutal, without mercy, but you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done" -DOOM

7 Reviews

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 am
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

I'm liking the accidentally walks through a portal, but how did the portal get there to begin with? Perhaps a prophecy made it appear, or a wizard put it there on purpose, etc.

As for your character, that's an AWESOME idea! A great mixture between sci-fi and fantas, not to mention irreplacably unique. Now, we just have to incorporate it into the storyline. Perhaps your character, Trevor, walks into a portal for some reason and ends up in this world, the Fantasy world, where he meets people who can help him out with his past and who he truly is? Meanwhile, there's a war going on.
Music <3

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:03 am
View Likes
Kopaka says...

Perhaps this "Altered World" advanced more in magic/alchemy than the steam engine? but still have walking old fashioned robot? Or Golem's if you will.

Thanks Moon btw! He doesn't have to be the main but what you think is worth the ride.

I suppose you can say he was "Summoned" to this alternate world as a help to man/beastkind or not so much a help at all.

I'll post some more character's on later.

7 Reviews

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:22 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

Yes, that's precisely what I was thinking. Much more advanced in magic but they still have the usual electrical appliances, devices, and steam engine type machinery. A modern world but with more magic, perhaps? And yes, they'll have some golem's here and there. An old fashioned robot would be nice, too.

He very well could be summoned. Perhaps that's the reason for the portal, and he just doesn't know it. I see him kind of running away from something or searching for the girl, but suddenly he sees the portal and curiously enters it, perhaps. Then, he finds himself in it, and perhaps he goes on a quest or something even though he's really trying to find the girl (maybe she ended up there, too, by some sort of quirk of fate?)

Enjoy your character making! I'm interested to see your next posts. I think I'll try a few, myself.
Music <3

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 am
View Likes
Kopaka says...

Here's something you can "chew" on lol.

This one I've been kicking around for awhile.

Type: Human hybrid Bone Golem
Form: Exo-skeleton armor
Name: Ellipse
HT: 6"
WT: Unknown
Hair: White
Skin: White
Eye's: Yellow

Back story: After learning he was created as a prototype base model for a army of Bone Golem's, He soon killed the head doctor and the other test subjects before they was in full production. Knowing of what he is capable of and how powerful. He sets off to find victims to keep him alive. There also has been rumors going around in several villages saying if the kids didn't take care of their teeth the "Tooth Fairy" will come to take them.

Powers: Ellipse's ability's is rather horrifying in a way. He can use his bones to make a exo-skeleton armor around his whole body. He can also control how strong the bone armor is and shape it to his will. However in order to keep his bones strong he needs to have large amounts of calcium. Such as drinking milk will help but he would rather "feed" off his victims calcium by eating their bones.

A whole body will be good enough for a month but the more bodies the stronger he gets.

Name? Ellipse? really? why? Well he never talks so yeah....problem solved.

Well? your thoughts? Did this tonight within a few mins.

7 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:04 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

Woah. This is pretty intense. I kind of got scared, honestly, when thinking of how horrifying a monster Ellipse would be through a main character's eyes.

You have very creative creature ideas... it's pretty cool. But he seems very plain and simple. I guess it's in a good way.

After seeing your characters... I'm inspired to try some of my own character making. Your great with backstories and your characters are very unique.

As for Ellipse... did you mention that human teeth help him survive/ give him power? Or does he detect them or something? I kind of lost ya there with the "Tooth Fairy" concept. Do explain, though! I'm interested.

I see that this could be a very vicious character... I think I'll create a more peaceful one with the same amount of intrigue. I'm thinking more about dragons, wizards, supernatural humans, and mages. Perhaps even a few blends of many creatures in one, or something like that. Having a character with a misunderstood backstory is a really good idea, though. I want to try that.
Music <3

7 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:10 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

By the way, are we still doing Trevor as our lead character?
Music <3

7 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

OK, I'm just going to take a moment to mix all our ideas together. Let me know what you think of this?

CATEGORY: plot development

Trevor, our main character, starts off as a servant for some sort of wizard or magician, who lives in (you suggested Germany, which is totally ok, but for my version, I'm liking the idea of a countryside land in the 1950's that happens to be in the middle of nowhere but has secrets, which include magicians and carnival folk who secretly know magic, along with well, ordinary townsfolk who kind of hate them...in your version, do feel free to keep Germany. For this activity, we all come up with our own versions, so no worries. It's really up to you what goes into your version of the story, which we'll all share later when we finish.)

So here we have Trevor, the servant. He often sees Maria, the wizard's (secret wizard's) daughter, who Trevor starts to grow fond of. But his master's home is under attack by secret monsters or creatures from some other realm because it holds a great supply of power, I suppose, being that all these magical spells and books and potions and creations are there, and here we have Trevor, battling off these dark ones for his master. And who knows- perhaps, rather than creatures, an angry mob attacks the wizard's old house because they think he's a danger to their old, countryside, middle-of-nowhere type town? Maybe they think that he's strange and peculiar? Either one would work in this case.

As stated, Trevor dies during battle, but Maria asks her wizard father for Trevor to be reborn as a Frankenstien-type individual. (Perhaps we could call it something original, other than Frankenstien, but naturally, feel free to write whatever you like best in your version.)

Before the surgery begins, I guess, Maria puts a locket in Trevor's hand that says "This should find you your way home." (It could say other things, for different versions, too. I think I might do something else myself.)

After being reborn as a Frankenstien type individual, Trevor suddenly feels he must defend himself and goes on a mindless killing rampage, and he starts killing all these random people, and being that Maria is scared that she had "created a monster" she flees.

The only thing I can think of is this. Maria runs far, far away, and meets plenty of odd people, some of which are entertained by the story, and others who understand that she must be scared and needs someplace to go. So I'm thinking one of the odd people, (perhaps a guy who has his own carnival and does lots of magic tricks but secretly knows real magic) tells her about this far-off world, and how to get there through some secret place. And Maria decides to go there.

And then, we have Trevor, who is looking for Maria with all his might, and who knows if he'll find her or not, but still... a portal just happens to appear as he wakes up one morning in the middle of the great empty prarie or grassland or something in this whimsical middle-of-nowhere town after he is covered in guilt for killing off all these people. Perhaps his master, if still alive, thinks he killed Maria because she runs away. So he sees this portal, and he curiously enters it, and learns that he was summoned to go there to solve the great problem that is threatening the world. Perhaps there's a connection between the real world, and this other magical place. Perhaps someone who has taken power in this other magical place (a dark one) is causing trouble back in the real world, hence, the battle. And Trevor is the one they want to seek seek out the dark one... maybe it's because Trevor, before living on Earth, once lived in the magical realm, but someone erased his memory and sent him to live his life on Earth because they didn't want him to get too powerful, and he most certainly could have gotten powerful enough to stop the dark side.

I guess all we need now is a common goal for the two sides to be after. Taking over the world? A magical object? A destiny? A postion?

Let me know what you guys think.
Music <3

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:05 pm
Kopaka says...

MoonlightMayhem wrote:Woah. This is pretty intense. I kind of got scared, honestly, when thinking of how horrifying a monster Ellipse would be through a main character's eyes.

You have very creative creature ideas... it's pretty cool. But he seems very plain and simple. I guess it's in a good way.

After seeing your characters... I'm inspired to try some of my own character making. Your great with backstories and your characters are very unique.

As for Ellipse... did you mention that human teeth help him survive/ give him power? Or does he detect them or something? I kind of lost ya there with the "Tooth Fairy" concept. Do explain, though! I'm interested.

I see that this could be a very vicious character... I think I'll create a more peaceful one with the same amount of intrigue. I'm thinking more about dragons, wizards, supernatural humans, and mages. Perhaps even a few blends of many creatures in one, or something like that. Having a character with a misunderstood backstory is a really good idea, though. I want to try that.

Pretty much human's skeletons will power him. But teeth has a really better source of calcium.

Ok sounds good for the most part. :) I'd rather call them "Constructs" considering thats what Frankenstein's monster is. But still yeah. Now I do have a few idea's for character's that lead the attack of his Masters home. I'll post em later.

Only thing is we might need something other than the usual "get this to defend that!" type of quest.

7 Reviews

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 am
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

Thank you Kopaka, I'm interested in seeing the rest of your characters :)
Music <3

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:37 am
View Likes
Kopaka says...

oh yeah, I know Ellipse sound pretty bland but thats for everyone to tinker around with.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
— Martin Luther King Jr.