z

Young Writers Society

Pencil or keyboard??

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:28 am
ChocoCookie says...

Yeah. And when you type in computer, you go on and on.... Its just too much strain. Your eyes start paining and all. I think the the total idea about the story should be by pencil and then you type it over.

Also, yes, you can loose your files. If you have crashes on your computer, it'll be a huge problem. Also, your account can get locked or something. OR they can get deleted.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:38 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

It's a laptop for me and I shall tell you for why.

a) I can't understand my own handwriting half of the time
b) When I make a mistake on a laptop, I can just backspace it but when I'm writing and I make mistake, I have to scribble it out. Scribbling things out is messy. Messy and me don't mix.
c) If I need to do any research for something in a novel or story, any information is at my fingertips.
d) It's far, far quicker.
e) If I lack inspiration, I can Google 'lolcats' and become inspired all over again.

I'd love to be able to just write a story on paper though. I've tried it but my OCD just can't deal with it and all its scribbling out. There are advantages and disadvantages for both, and neither is better than the other. It just depends on you.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm
RacheDrache says...

I prefer writing by hand. As Skinsy mentioned, fixing a mistake is as easy as pushing backspace on a computer--which means fixing a 'mistake' is just as easy. What I mean by that is, if I'm typing something, I can start getting all perfectionistic-obsessive and I end up with a blank screen.

When handwriting, I can scratch out something if I really didn't like it or change my mind. For instance, in the notebook I have beside me, I crossed out 'river' and replaced it with 'stream' because that fit better. If I'd done that on my computer, chances are I would have ended up changing a whole bunch of other things too. Despite the horrendousness that is my handwriting, I like to keep my notebooks neat, so I scratch out as little as possible and just keep writing.

The result is a lot of material to pick from when I go to type it up. This being another thing I love about handwriting--the transfer from notebook to Word means an editing session.

Sometimes, though, when I'm really in The Zone, I can write on anywhere, anything, for thousands and thousands of words. But because that sort of inspiration doesn't come around regularly, there's my notebook collection.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf