z

Young Writers Society

Books!

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 pm
Cole says...

Has anyone read any really good books lately? Anything you think other people should read? : )

Reviews: 4
Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 am
munchkin says...

A Tale Dark And Grimm! Its really interesting... XD but it's not very long, so if you like long books, you probably wouldn't like it that much.
Someone just needs a high five.... In the face... With a chair.

8F

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 am
Angelreader77 says...

I've read lots of good books lately, but it depends what other people like. xD
"The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears or the sea." --Isaac Dinesen

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:01 am
ChocoCookie says...

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS. xD

If you're a fan of Eragon series, then you must know that the latest one is out. Inheritance. It is the most awesome book I have read lately. =D
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 am
TwistedMuffins says...

I agree with Cookie. The Inheritance by Christopher Paolini is the fourth book from The Inheritance Cycle series. I think that book (and the series.) is a must read.
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 pm
noninjaes says...

The Dark Heavens / Journey To Wudang series by Kylie Chan. A must for any urban fantasy / mythology lover. The series is especially notable by its strong female characters. In stories like these, they are usually portrayed as air-head damsels in distress.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:04 pm
Justagirl says...

Ashes - Ilsa J. Bick. OMG it was so awesome. Read it if you like apocalypse-y stuff :P

And Crank - Ellen Hopkins. It's written all in free verse and about the effect of drugs on a 17 year old girl's life..
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:48 pm
View Likes
LemonyIce says...

If you've read Harry Potter, you've read the best. *nods*

Also, try the Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch. If you like comedy and mystery, you'll enjoy it.
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 pm
View Likes
AlfonsoFernandez says...

The Hunger Games are awesome!!!
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

[insert inspiring quote]

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:19 pm
lili024 says...

Hunger games! Hi. 5 Alfonso!
[insert clever signature here]

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:56 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett seems pretty old, but it still knocks the house down!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 am
View Likes
ShootingStars says...

Hunger Games is so obsessing!
The Maze Runner is also awesome!
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:20 pm
lili024 says...

ShootingStars wrote:Hunger Games is so obsessing!
The Maze Runner is also awesome!

Hi5 in Hunger Games! Also read the Kane Chronicalls!
[insert clever signature here]

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 am
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes Demon in My View and Shattered Glass.

(Demon in My View is sort of a follow up to In The Forests of The Night. The summary, straight from the back of the book, is:
Jessica isn't your average teenager. Though nobody at her high school knows it, she's a published author. Her vampire novel Tiger, Tiger has just come out under the pen name Ash Night. Jessica often wishes she felt as comfortable with her classmates as she does among the vampires and witches of her fiction. She has always been treated as an outsider at Ramsa High.

But two new students have just arrived in Ramsa, and both want Jessica's attention. She has no patience with overly friendly Caryn, but she's instantly drawn to handsome Alex, a cocky, mysterious boy who seems surprisingly familiar. If she didn't know better, she'd think Aubrey, the alluring villain from Tiger, Tiger had just sprung to life. That's impossible, of course; Aubrey is a figment of her imagination. Or is he?)

Shattered Mirror is my favorite, though. The summary, again straight from the back of the book, is:

Sarah Vida is a witch and a vampire hunter — and a loner. Christopher Ravena is a vampire trying to pass as a normal high school student who wants to know Sarah better. Drawn to him despite her better judgment, Sarah’s forced to admit that there’s room for gray in her otherwise black-and-white world of good versus evil — until she meets Nikolas, Christopher’s twin and one of the most hunted vampires in history.

Anyone that likes fantasy would DEFINITELY love any of Amelia's books. Those two just happen to be on my shelf.
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

Reviews: 4
Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:21 am
crmcgill says...

I recently read Peter and the Starcatchers. It's like the back story of Peter Pan- how he can fly, where Tinkerbell came from, how Hook lost his hand, and why the heck they're all in Neverland in the first place. The authors use some really unique ideas, so it's not the same old Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust that you've heard about. (Hint- the main villan isn't Hook, although he is a villan.)
There are five books in the series, with hopefully more on the way. If you like swashbuckling high-seas adventures or just a good, exciting read, then the Starcatcher Series is the series for you!
Open the gates and seize the day! Don't be afraid and don't delay.

To die would be an awfully big adventure.

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Just call me Gill!

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves