Young Writers Society

Can We Really Survive? Words of Wisdom from George Dubya

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:21 pm
Galatea says...

"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is 'to be prepared'."

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

"The future will be better tomorrow."

"We're going to have the best educated American people in the world."

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe . We are a part of Europe."

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system."

"Public speaking is very easy."
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:49 pm
Areida says...

I thought the pollution quote was from Gore...

But yeah, I've heard most of those before. Our poor politicians. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:11 pm
Eleanor Rigby says...

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

"This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table."

A sign of things to come?
words, language - what wonderous
creatures these beings are,
what joyous routes of sorrow and
longing they pave.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:59 pm
Bobo says...

I wonder if Bushie just has a sense of humor? That would be pretty funny. But yeah, I'm sure some of those quotes aren't his, but hey--it's funnier if it's Bush, right?

128 Reviews

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:04 pm
Galatea says...

I'm not sure about the pollution one, I thought that was Gore too. But the others...

I was amused by the email, so I thought I'd share ^_^!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:13 pm
Elizabeth says...

I'm laughing so hard right now that I can't breathe but I am in fear that, in the end, we will blow ourselves up... I need one of these for my singature.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:14 am
Nate says...

Actually, not a single one of the quotes was made by George Bush. All of them were made by either Dan Quayle or Al Gore. This is one of those urban legends that gains popularity just because people are so willing to believe it's true. As a note, I received the same e-mail about a year ago. The difference was that instead of all the quotes being attributed to Bush, all the quotes were attributed to Kerry.

Here's a good source for the facts: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/candidate.asp

Sorry to bust the fun, but that ain't Dubya talking.

EDIT: Well, to keep it going... here is a good Bush quote:

"Because the — all which is on the table begins to address the big cost drivers. For example, how benefits are calculate, for example, is on the table; whether or not benefits rise based upon wage increases or price increases. There's a series of parts of the formula that are being considered. And when you couple that, those different cost drivers, affecting those — changing those with personal accounts, the idea is to get what has been promised more likely to be — or closer delivered to what has been promised. Does that make any sense to you? It's kind of muddled. Look, there's a series of things that cause the — like, for example, benefits are calculated based upon the increase of wages, as opposed to the increase of prices. Some have suggested that we calculate — the benefits will rise based upon inflation, as opposed to wage increases. There is a reform that would help solve the red if that were put into effect. In other words, how fast benefits grow, how fast the promised benefits grow, if those — if that growth is affected, it will help on the red." —George W. Bush, explaining his plan to save Social Security, Tampa, Fla., Feb. 4, 2005
Last edited by Nate on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:57 am
Teufelshund says...

Thanks for enlightening these...unpatriots...Nate.

Come on, Galatea, show some respect. George W. Bush is our President, and you could a least try a little tact.

The fact that none of these are true makes it that much worse and insulting.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:49 am
electricbluemonkey says...

"Bushwacked"

Read it.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:56 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Nate: 1; Society: 0

Thanks for the link, Nate.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:13 am
Nate says...

Teufelshund wrote:Thanks for enlightening these...unpatriots...Nate.

Come on, Galatea, show some respect. George W. Bush is our President, and you could a least try a little tact.

Believe me, if I was going to call Galatea anything, unpatriotic would be at the very bottom of the list. Chastising the President has a long and glorious tradition, and is the source of many of my favorite songs on Billy Bob ;)

Mocking the President has always been done and will always be done, even when the President is hugely popular. It's part of Americana. Plus, you gotta admit that picture of Bush holding the children's book upside down is pretty funny.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:17 am
Rei says...

Oh come on, it's just for a laugh. People have always made jokes about the people in power, and always will.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:23 am
Ego says...

Teufelshund wrote:Thanks for enlightening these...unpatriots...Nate.

Give respect where you think it's due. If you don't think he deserves it, don't give it. That's the beauty of America; you can say whatever you want, whenever, to whomever.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

128 Reviews

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:40 am
Galatea says...

Forgive me for sharing something that made me laugh. I promise, I will never try to make others laugh again. But while I'm here, this (http://www.slate.com/id/76886/) is a frequently updated list of true Bushisms.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:50 am
Ego says...

Thanks for making ME laugh, Gal. Simply because some people can't take a joke doesn't mean everyone is the same :)
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest