z

Young Writers Society

local dialect phrases/words

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Thu May 12, 2005 5:01 am
Liz says...

Eloere: you pretty much covered everything.
However...
Battler Someone who works really hard to make a living
Bikkie Biscuit
Bloody Oath Definitely!
Chook Chicken
Chuck a sickie To take a day off when you're not really sick
Chunder Vomit
In our suburb and out west only... Gin An idiot
Legendary Describes a person/event/object you really approve of.
purple sneakers

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu May 12, 2005 5:22 am
little x soldier says...

did anyone mentioned 'ya'?
'Love ya' ... you know 'ya' aka 'you' ?
~xS;o:L;d:I;e:Rx~

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu May 12, 2005 3:41 pm
Muse says...

american dialect/slang isn't very exciting...owck. Australian's use well ace words. har de har.
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu May 12, 2005 5:46 pm
Galatea says...

No it's really not, and in fact it's pretty stupid-sounding most of the time . . .

pimp, hoe, bitches, bling-bling, my homies . . .

I don't get it, and I AM and American . . .
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu May 12, 2005 7:22 pm
Rei says...

Same here. I'm Canadian, but we get a lot of the same media, and therefore the same idioms and slang. I went to a school full of people who talked like that for three years, and I still don't understand it. I know hoe came from not caring to pronounce the word whore properly, but the rest is just dumb. I mean, bling bling? What's wrong with just saying moneyor jewelry? The worst part is that it is in the dictionary now.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri May 13, 2005 6:59 am
Elelel says...

I like Aussie slang. It's fun :D. Scottish and Irish sound fun too! :lol: Someone listed "blether" as Irish before, my family uses that.
Chook? Doesn't everyone call them chooks? I thought they did.
Biscuit ... I'd forgotten that Americans call them cookies!!!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri May 13, 2005 9:06 am
hawk says...

Éloeré wrote:*cracks knuckes* Right! Aussie slang, here we go:
:arrow: kicked the bucket - to die
:arrow: bite the dust - to die
:arrow: bite the bullet - to die
:arrow: bomb - old, unreliable car
:arrow: tinny - small aluminium boat
:arrow: bum - posterior (sounds better than butt), or unemployed person on the dole
:arrow: dunny - toliet
:arrow: long drop - toliet ... without plumbing :lol:
:arrow: snags - sausage
:arrow: spud - potato
:arrow: stubby - beer bottle with short neck
:arrow: barbie - BBQ
:arrow: dead horse - tomatoe sauce
:arrow: yarn - story
:arrow: Aussie rules - our special footy game (better than other forms, especially American, which is just weird)
:arrow: sheila - girl
:arrow: bloke - guy
:arrow: mate - good friend, used in other places I'm sure but some people I know say it about six times per sentence
:arrow: squatter - some bum that comes to live on your land when your back's turned, may require to be chased off with a shotty, see below.
:arrow: shotty - abreviation of shotgun
:arrow: rabbit gun - .22 gun
:arrow: kangaroo gun - .303 gun, knocks over most aussie wildlife
:arrow: trouble and stife - wife
:arrow: whoppee weed - well, this guy I meet once who had a broad accent called drugs "whoppee weed" I don't know if it counts, but it's a good term
:arrow: true blue - *thinks* I suppose it means a patriotic aussie ... if there's such thing as a patriotic aussie
:arrow: fair dinkum? - True? You for real?
:arrow: dummy - well, I put this in because I've only ever heard Yanks (any american) call em pacifiers.
:arrow: Joe Blake - snake
:arrow: flat out like lizard drinking - flat out, fast etc.
:arrow: you bewdy - good on ya
:arrow: you beaut - see above
:arrow: pissed - drunk off your arse
:arrow: castle - "a man's home is his castle"
:arrow: porky pie - a lie (no one says this who's under 60 that I know)
:arrow: put a shrimp on the barbie - has lost all meaning, occasionally part of drunk conversations
:arrow: mozzie - abreviation for mosquito (mozzies are your only natural predators in Australia, and we hate 'em)
:arrow: hit the hay - go to sleep
:arrow: bush - large area of plant life, on average above your head
:arrow: scrub - small area of low growing (below vision) plant life
:arrow: go bush - escape into the bush
:arrow: billy - pot to boil water over campfires
:arrow: crow - a black bird, also a nasty person
:arrow: Crikey! - exclamation never used except when paying out Steve Eriwin
:arrow: far out! - exclamation, still not often used
:arrow: tellie - TV
:arrow: rellies - relatives
:arrow: G'day - slack arse version of "good morning"

Words for idiot:
:arrow: galah - also an idiotic bird, may be seen hanging upside down on telephone wires
:arrow: dingo
:arrow: gumby
:arrow: flammin' mongrel
:arrow: mongrel
:arrow: drongo (also a drunk)
:arrow: Eddie McGuire (hah hah!) - owns part share in a footy club, commentates extremly baisedly in favour of his team. Everyone hates him, except Collingwood supporters.
:arrow: wally
:arrow: Pommy git (no offense to any Pommy gits ... no, seriously, no offense)

Not even I knew all of these!

As Liz said, Bloody Oath means Definitely, but it's also Fucking Oath, if you're a shade ruder.
and Chuck a sickie (take a day of school when you're not really sick) is also waggin'

Fully sick = awesome
Gamin (this is probably more aboriginal slang) = bullshit (often used when you're joking with mates "Nah gamin, mate")
Bugger it = stuff it, who care's.
She'll be right = don't worry, it will turn out good. (This, surprisingly, most people use quite a lot without really knowing it)
Noogie = grabbing someone in a headlock and rubbing their head roughly with your fist.
How ya goin'? = greeting, formal/informal
Peg = throw hard, this is usually in a phrase like "don't fucking peg it!" I don't know if this is even confined to Australia.
Hammered = really drunk
old man = dad, this is said like "How's the old man?" meaning, "How is your dad?"
Blanket show = bed. This one parents use on young children to get them to cooperate before bedtime (I suppose kids think they are going to see a movie, a "show"), I remember my dad saying this to me when I was younger)
Outback = the "Wild", or the Bush for those more familiar. Despite being world-renown, this is rarely used by Australians.
Fluke = lucky, something good that is unlikely to happen but did. Used in: "That’s a bloody fluke", or "I think I fluked it"

Murray = Aboriginal, none aboriginals do not use this, mainly out of respect, but aboriginals call themselves this within their communities.
Abbo = as above
Wog = Australian-Italian. This used to be insulting, but I think a lot of Aussie Italians have embraced it.
Whitie = A white person, term used by aboriginals.
Chong = Anyone from east Asia. This is quite insulting, not used directly.
Curry muncher = Indian person, and usually any Arabs or Middle Easterners. Also insulting.
His ol' = I can't believe it! Or "Bullshit" I think this is more configned to North Queensland, each region has its particular slang.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

176 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2005 1:37 pm
Muse says...

Éloeré wrote:Someone listed "blether" as Irish before, my family uses that

It's not irish, its scottish too. :)

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Fri May 13, 2005 2:25 pm
Chanson says...

it's both. i was called a bletherer for about half my life by my grandmother.

you know it's weird how many of the words listed under australian that the irish (and probably the english) use too. you think you're so original but then it seems like half the english speaking world actually had the same idea......
"And Matt Muir. Matt Muir, he's the sweetest guy. Have you ever looked into his eyes? It's like the first time I heard the Beatles" Superbad

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri May 13, 2005 3:44 pm
Firestarter says...

does anyone use the word "gutted"?

just when something goes wrong for someone you say it, to take the mick. ah, i love that word.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri May 13, 2005 5:04 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

areida07 wrote:krunk- This would be somethin' really popular at the local public high school... only dorky jocks and cheerleader say it... :roll: ...I'm not sure if it has a specific definition... "Get it krunk" is one usage... whatever.

so the down low on "Crunk...or Krunk...however the darn thing is spelled"

Crunk is an energy drink, the name came from two guys messing around with the words crazy and drunk thus crunk.

we have conversations like that in my AP Lit class.

word of the month in october was crunk.

but yeah anzways...american slang...I'm from Cali, near the border (to mexico...) so my friend as I use a lot of Mexican (yes mexican, not spanish...and yes it's different) when we are speaking like "hola", "amigos", I cuss a lot in spanish. yeah that's about it.

CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

176 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2005 9:37 pm
Muse says...

we use gutted

oh, and when someone gets "slagged off"

We say they got ripped.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri May 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Firestarter says...

ah, we say ripped all the time.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri May 13, 2005 11:32 pm
Crysi says...

Firestarter wrote:does anyone use the word "gutted"?

just when something goes wrong for someone you say it, to take the mick. ah, i love that word.

Lol Jack, you're great.

Did you know I had to look up "take the mick"? Sheesh.
Love and Light

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat May 14, 2005 2:27 am
Elelel says...

Chanson wrote:it's both. i was called a bletherer for about half my life by my grandmother.

you know it's weird how many of the words listed under australian that the irish (and probably the english) use too. you think you're so original but then it seems like half the english speaking world actually had the same idea......

Probably because England, Sccotland and Ireland are close together, and Australia was setteled by Brits. So, that's a reason. My mum always calls the kids in my family "bletherers" or "you're blethering". But then her family was origally from Ireland ... many generations ago. Before they moved to South Africa ... which was before they moved to Australia.

Who knows? The word might have stuck in the family ... you know, passing it on, like haw I got my pronunciation of "off" with a South African accent from my mum because she lived there til she was 15.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus