z

Young Writers Society

Nationality

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu May 05, 2005 3:21 am
View Likes
Micah says...

I thought that this was quite an interesting topic. The other day I was listening to the radio, and heard something about it that I found rather...how should I put it...amusing/of interest?

Anyway, what nationality do you consider yourself?
I mean, I was born in New Zealand, but am also part Maori, Kiribati, pronounced Kiribis(This is a group of very small islands called the Gilbert Islands, just above N.Z.), and have some french blood in me.
What should I call myself? Maori? Kiribati? European? Kiwi? It's pretty complicated, because in New Zealand we're called either Europeans or kiwi's. European? I'm not from Europe! Kiwi? I'm also not a bird! Why can't we just be called New Zealanders? Or maybe I should consider myself Kiribati/Maori.
It's quite interesting. What do you think?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu May 05, 2005 3:33 am
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

A kiwi is also a fruit!
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu May 05, 2005 4:03 am
Bobo says...

I am American. I have no cultural experience beyond that. Except Mormonism, but that's not a national thing.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu May 05, 2005 5:04 am
View Likes
Ego says...

I am most definitely American. Next closest thing is portuguese.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu May 05, 2005 5:05 am
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Rusian.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 05, 2005 5:12 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Even though American is not technically considered an ethnicity quite yet, I can't think of myself as anything but. My last name is Scottish, but the first Scots in my family were actually French pirates and the Caldwell's (my last name) moved to America a long, long time ago (before the Revolutionary War). The Italian blood is probably the strongest since I only have to go three generations back to find pure Italian blood, but I certainly don't consider myself Italian in any way whatsoever.

So... American

And maybe one day Australian!

EDIT: I changed the name of the topic from "Nationalism" to "Nationality" since the former made it sound like a discussion on a type of government

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu May 05, 2005 5:29 am
View Likes
Galatea says...

I identify in a couple different ways:

1) Czech

2) Austrian

3) American

Yes, those are in order of importance.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu May 05, 2005 6:18 am
View Likes
hawk says...

Born in Australia, my parents in Spain, though neither are Spanish.

I'm near completely German and Irish, though my grandmother was from what is now Belarus, formally part of Russia or USSR.

As in Australia, you're either indigenous (that is, you're aboriginal) or you're European.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu May 05, 2005 6:26 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

First and foremost I am American.

My ancestors were: French, French/Canadian, Spanish, German, Swedish, Italian (Silicilan), and Irish. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Thu May 05, 2005 7:52 am
View Likes
Midnight says...

British European.
available

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu May 05, 2005 1:54 pm
View Likes
Zion says...

macedonian. with some western blood. what exactly I dont know. noone wants to tell me :P
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu May 05, 2005 2:23 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

Yeah, it really is hard to define when you live in a country like New Zealand or America. For me, it's really hard to define as well. I hate it when people ask me what mt background is because I can't give a good answer. I also think there is a difference between nationality and culteral background in these cases. I mean, my paternal grandmother is Russian and my Grandfather and his parents were born in Toronto, a whole mix of various Eastern European nations. My maternal grandmother can trace her family back to Ireland, but they came to Canada during the potato famine over 100 years ago. Her name is Gaelic, but there's probably other nationalities in her background. And my other grandfather was half English, half Italian.

So, to putit simply, and to quote the greatest beero commercial ever:

"I AM CANADIAN!"
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu May 05, 2005 2:36 pm
View Likes
marching_gurl89 says...

I am mostly polish russian probably some english and the most improtant cheorkkee(native american). I am also american.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu May 05, 2005 3:12 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Practically just English.

Although I do have some Scottish blood somewhere, and my family name suggests my ancestors were part of the Norman invasion of England in 1066. Not that I'd consider myself French. I mean, almost a 1000 years of being English.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu May 05, 2005 5:24 pm
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

You are who you think you are dude. It doesn't really matter what people around you say, it's all up to you.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye