z

Young Writers Society

The Paradox of our Time

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:40 pm
View Likes
Nai says...

This is a message by George Carlin around the time when his wife passed away. I thought it was incredible and at the same time almost too true.

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints.
We spend more,but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less.
We have bigger houses and smaller families, more
conveniences, but less time.
We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment,
more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little,
drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.
We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life.
We've added years to life not life to years.
We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.
We conquered outer space but not inner space.
We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.
We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice.
We write more, but learn less.
We plan more, but accomplish less.
We've learned to rush, but not to wait.
We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever,
but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships.
These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.
It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom.
A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.
Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we
take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:49 am
View Likes
Shadow Knight says...

This isn't a very complicated paradox, if you want a paradox, think about nothingness, it's one of the biggest paradox's. Unless you believe in God, in which case, God is the biggest paradox.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

43 Reviews

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:49 pm
Nai says...

well this wasn't written by me... i'm just saying he he has point in this

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:57 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

How is "nothingness" and God paradoxes? They seem pretty clear to me. Of course, they might not make sense, but that doesn't make them contradictory.

Never read this before Aniar, it makes so much sense too.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:58 am
Ego says...

I've read it...it's a really great piece of work. He impressed me with this very much.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:48 am
Bobo says...

Beyond all of this is how people are beginning to think that a great number of the negative effects of today are actually good things. I won't elaborate.

In any case, that is so true I can't express it in words. If only people could understand...

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:58 am
electricbluemonkey says...

That was a very clear paradox, but a very interesting one, nevertheless. I really enjoyed that. George Carlin? Hmm...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:37 am
Shadow Knight says...

I never said this wasn't good, it's great, i'm just saying, it's not a complicated paradox. And when you think about it, the Bible could have been written by anyone, and it contradicts itself in many places, eg. Turn the other cheek, and eye for an eye.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:24 am
Blift says...

I've noticed that for long. Time is just time
:pirate3:

Tracy Beaker!!!

Reviews: 4
Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Vanz says...

Made me think of the following by Charlie Chaplin in the first movie he made with sound. You can find it here.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 am
Aet Lindling says...

Not sure how you people found this from over seven years ago. However, since it's bumped up now, and people will be reading it, I should probably make a small note.

George Carlin? Seriously? Did you even read it? There is no way that George Carlin said that.

After a short Google session, here's something Carlin actually said, before his passing:

George Carlin wrote:"PARADOX OF OUR TIME"
One of the more embarrassing items making the internet/e-mail rounds is a sappy load of shit called "The Paradox of Our Time." The main problem I have with it is that as true as some of the expressed sentiments may be, who really gives a shit? Certainly not me.

I figured out years ago that the human species is totally fucked and has been for a long time. I also know that the sick, media-consumer culture in America continues to make this so-called problem worse. But the trick, folks, is not to give a fuck. Like me. I really don't care. I stopped worrying about all this temporal bullshit a long time ago. It's meaningless. (See the preface of "Braindroppings.")

Another problem I have with "Paradox" is that the ideas are all expressed in a sort of pseudo-spiritual, New-Age-y, "Gee-whiz-can't-we-do-better-than-this" tone of voice. It's not only bad prose and poetry, it's weak philosophy. I hope I never sound like that.

For more info, see here. http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp
dun worry
it's all gun be k

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:18 am
Nook says...

Whaaaaaaaaat?

He said THAT?

I'm confused.

But I sorta agree with him. The human species is f#ed up and has been for a long time. Still are. Will be forever.

But I love the Paradox on the top of the page. It was great. :P
HERE>>OTAKU FOR LIFE<<HERE
"People's feelings are memories that transcend time[that's why they're so hard to forget]." - Steins;Gate(Makise)
"I'm not stupid. I'm just too lazy to show how smart I am." -Hyouka(Oreki)

43 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 pm
Love says...

But the trick, folks, is not to give a fuck. Like me. I really don't care. I stopped worrying about all this temporal bullshit a long time ago. It's meaningless.

Pfft XD That's exactly my approach ^_^ A certain kind of isolation does wonders. I'm just here to create and enjoy life, although helping others would be part of the latter X3
I was Amareth :)

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:03 am
noninjaes says...

Frankly, despite Carlin not writing it, I still don't agree with half the stuff in there. For one, we are more opened minded and tolerant than previous ages. Back in old, old times, if you didn't agree with some people, you were killed, and people were okay with that. Yes, some people still get killed, but the majority of people agree that killing someone for that is not okay. We are also healthier. Just look at the average lifespan - and lifespan doesn't increase by magic, it increases with health and wellness.
We do communicate at least equally, probably even more. The only difference is the method of communication, and the speed. Ages ago, you couldn't even communicate with someone overseas. Even letters to someone in the next town took several days for them to receive. Now, in most places in the world, you can talk to someone, instantly - a lot of the times with not just voice, but video too.
There is also absolutely no way that we learn less. Back in the old days, unless you were a scholar (and even then you had to stay within the churches words), knowledge was mostly considered heretical.
What we have done may also be larger, but a lot of it is better too, or would you rather die than go to a large hospital and get your life-threatening disease cured?
And a lot of these things like values, and living life a relative. There are a lot of people out here who are happier, living fuller lives.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 pm
wordsandwishes says...

Well, I kinda liked this piece.

And I think that you have a point, but so does the person who wrote this.

The truth is, that our modern technology and medicine and all that, can do just as much harm as good.

So even though there are people out there living happier lives, there are those that are experiencing exactly the opposite.
(Not sure if that made sense or helped or anything, but ya).

w&w

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield