Young Writers Society

If a statue was made in your honour...

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:16 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

(Before you smirk at the title and proceed to this restrained imagining I solemnly swear this topic is not the giddy, fanciful flailing of conceitedness you were hoping for, so stick with me on this one)

Once upon a month ago I came across an art project that separately photographed random people in 'statue' poses. Those whom were photographed were asked beforehand, "If a statue was made in your honour, what would it look like, and where would it be placed?"

It's a cool art concept, and an equally cool social experiment. Each answer seemed to say a lot about each person both in the pose they took and the location they chose (body language played a big role). The questions weren't asking why a statue would be made in their honour... which I suspect would have entertained the ol' fame and ego. Instead, the questions allowed the focus to be on how each person saw the essence of their identity in relation to the world (eesh I psychoanalyse everything way too much).

So, here I am asking you the same questions: If a statue was made in your honour, what would it look like, and where would it be placed? (It can be anywhere in the world, and any pose)

Format to answer:
Code: Select all
[b]Myself or a character:[/b]
[b]What would it look like?[/b]
[b]Where would it be placed?[/b]

Options:
  • Since we're mostly writers here this may as well be a practice in descriptive writing (if you want to describe the pose in words)
  • Otherwise, a drawing/sketch or an actual photo of yourself in a pose is very welcome~
  • If you'd rather not answer as yourself, I imagine this could be be a cool experiment to ask your fictional characters to understand who they are better, so feel free to use this thread for that c:

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:18 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Myself or a character: myself
What would it look like? The pose would be myself seated on a chair/stool with one leg crossed over the other, holding a pen in my right hand near the right side of my face while my right elbow leans on a table (ha well at least my statue has a practical use). The statue would stare ahead with eyes glazed over, lost in thought and doing very, very little writing. A notepad would rest on the table in front of me.

Unnecessary sociological tangent:
In doing this I realise it's still hard not to be self-deprecating because of what statues represent in society. I suppose the idea of statues is to remind people of virtues to strive for (hence The Thinker), great achievers, or important history (there are probably more reasons tbh). I don't know about other countries, but in Australia there is a cultural influence called tall poppy syndrome, and it socially condemns anyone who stands out because of personal achievements and/or positive attributes. Because it is culturally conditioned in me to never draw too much attention to what I'm good at, as is likely for other cultures, this kind of topic is difficult to participate in.

I guess I chose this statue pose (not that a reason is needed) because if my existence(?) was to remind anyone of anything, it would be a) to imagine and reflect and contemplate, b) to acknowledge the potential of ideas, and c) to enjoy simplicity in nature and the comfort of self.

Wow I'm in a really philosophical mood gosh damn.

Where would it be placed? In the northside garden of my family home.

~

I'll add that if anyone wants to talk about the social experiment itself without partaking in it that's also what this thread can be used for.

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne