z

Young Writers Society

grits anyone?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:45 pm
LamaLama says...

wiki wrote:Hominy grits is another term for grits, but explicitly refers to grits made from nixtamalized corn, or hominy. These are the common grits sold in supermarkets outside of the Southern United States.

In my dire attempt to explain grits to someone, I refered them to Wikipedia. This was, of course, before I realized that grits and polenta were essencially the same thing..... Anyway, that sentance makes me chuckle. If you've seen My Cousin Vinny, there's a scene where he's cross examining someone on the stand, and he says something about "I knew it was five minutes because it always takes me 5 minutes to make breakfast." And Vinny, the lawyer, says "And what eh... did you have for breakfast?" "Grits." "Oh really, were these instant grits?" To which he chuckles and says "No self respectin southerner uses instant grits." And the rest of the room chuckles along with him.

At which point, vinny knows that it had to have been 20 minutes, because the laws of physics still apply in that guy's kitchen. You cannot boil grits in under 20 minutes. Its a movie worth seeing, actually. I'm not sure of the rating, but its definately worth at least renting.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:13 pm
Fand says...

Grits! Don't mind if I do. *Helps self* Do you have any idea how hard it is to find grits in New York City? *despairs*

And I really need to see this movie now...
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

52 Reviews

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:36 pm
View Likes
LamaLama says...

I had no trouble at all, actually.
There's a place on 115th, I think. They aren't the best, but they're edible.

Maybe it was near Joe's Pizza. (There are 3, I'm talkin about the one that has absolutely no sitting room inside, and has possibly the best pizza in the city.)

Oh, and the movie's got Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei in it. I think even a young Ralph Macchio, but I can't be sure.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Bjorn says...

I don't like polenta...
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

52 Reviews

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:09 pm
LamaLama says...

Did you mush it into cakes, cook it over a fire, and lather it up with butter? mmmmmm thats good.

Or, you could smuther it with cheese, throw it in the microwave, and add a metric a**load of salt.

OR! you could add brown sugar, butter, and some bacon bits, microwaive for a few minutes, and you've got a nice meal.

There's no better vehicle for salt and butter than grits. Tellyouwut.

"And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
— Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland