z

Young Writers Society

Back in My Day

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Thu May 10, 2018 3:43 am
View Likes
Clairia says...

Ever hear your grandmother/grandfather/mom/dad/any other person older than you are say; "Back in my day, we didn't have [the item you've been messing around with for an hour]" (aka your phone or laptop--or these days, Fortnite)

So this is a silly game that I hope some of you will like! It works like this--

A post will start off with the sentence

"Back in my day, we didn't have..."

[Example: Video Games]

"Back in my day, we didn't have [video games]!"

Then you'll put in a funny alternative for video games that would be used back in "your day"--

"Back in my day, we didn't have [video games!] We communicated with our eyes and ears and mouths instead!"

When you're done, suggest a topic for the person that will comment below you--
A few ideas for topics are:
-Amusement parks/water parks
-Cell phones
-Fidget Spinners
-Roller Skates
-Lunchables
-etc

This used to be a game designed for students learning the wonderful art of improv, (I should know--I learned it that way!) so I hope it'll work for YWS as well!

Here's my topic for the person below me--christmas carols.
"If you have
a painting in you, paint.
Just create it.
Banish doubt and fear
and step out of your own way.
Write if you're a writer.
Do what you were born to do.
--Toni Sorenson

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri May 11, 2018 11:46 am
View Likes
BookishBrook says...

Christmas carols? Back in my day we didn't have Christmas Carols, we played balleds on our nose flutes, if you were lucky enough to have a nose flute of course!

Topic: Fire
"I have written you down and you will live forever"
-Bastille

"We are infinite as the universe we hold inside."
-Sleeping At Last

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat May 12, 2018 7:45 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

Fire? Back in my day, we didn't have fire. Instead, we all huddled together and prayed that a lightning strike would hit to provide us warmth. Psssh, you kids these days and your fire. You have to wait on chance, I say! No more using those pieces of flint and steel to help you out.

Topic: Duct tape
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:15 pm
Necromancer14 says...

Back in my day we didn't have duct tape. Instead, we used sticky sap from trees and stuck it to bark to create "tape."

topic: Food.
Dumbledore: "Now, it's great that you've been saving the school and all Harry, but unfortunately your grades have been a tad low, and, well... perhaps Gandalf could explain it better... hit it, Gandalf!

Gandalf: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm
Hkumar says...

Food? Back in my day nobody used to have any food .It was only smoking weed and pot to gain strength.

topic: police
I only put my signature on big cheques.

114 Reviews

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:48 pm
Necromancer14 says...

What's with police? Back in my day we did whatever we wanted and if things got too crazy the military came in and slaughtered everybody.

topic: economy
Dumbledore: "Now, it's great that you've been saving the school and all Harry, but unfortunately your grades have been a tad low, and, well... perhaps Gandalf could explain it better... hit it, Gandalf!

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:55 pm
Shadeflame says...

Economy? Of all the ridiculous things I've EVER heard of. Back in my day, we just took whatever we wanted from whoever we wanted. We didn't bother with all this selling and buying nonsense.

Topic: Teeth
English isn't a language, it's three languages stacked up on top of each other wearing a trenchcoat.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:21 pm
Hkumar says...

Teeth are not permanent. Back in my days we used to break all our teeth on our own and then swallow the food as a whole with taking the pain of chewing or grinding.

Topic: Hairs
I only put my signature on big cheques.

4093 Reviews

Reviews: 4093
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:09 pm
KateHardy says...

Back in my day hairs were eaten as a delicacy.

Topic: Ice Cream
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

114 Reviews

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:06 pm
Necromancer14 says...

back in my day we didn't have fridges, so ice cream was called "sludge cream" and went bad in about one or two days.

Topic: stomachs

4093 Reviews

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:32 am
KateHardy says...

Back in my day human stomachs were used as high quality shopping bags.

Topic: Cookies
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

114 Reviews

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:14 pm
Necromancer14 says...

Back in my day we didn't have cookies, we simply ate the cookie batter. It tastes better, so why not?

Topic: toilet paper

4093 Reviews

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:31 am
KateHardy says...

Back in my day we had not toilet paper. We wiped our posteriors on leaves.

Topic : Fish
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

114 Reviews

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:44 pm
Necromancer14 says...

Back in our day fish was non existent, and we died by the thousands from lack of omega 3.

Topic: Death

4093 Reviews

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:02 am
KateHardy says...

Back in my day we died all the time. (Quote for HoO-TSOP) - Vitellius

Topic: Snakes
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson