Young Writers Society

Make a Monster!

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:03 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

Make a Monster!

Please read everything below before making your monster. Thanks!

Hullo everyone! :D This is pretty straightforward, I need you to make me a monster! There is the possibility that I will use your monster in my novel, so be as creative as you want! I will have to set some ground rules, so let's get those out of the way now, shall we?

Rules:
-No unkillable monsters. Every monster needs a weakness so my characters can defeat it.
-No extremely strong monsters. I don't want it to kill my characters!
-Be as specific as possible. I don't want any "A dragon that can fly and shoot fire." That doesn't really help me.
-Other rules may be added to help me get the kinds of monsters I want.

Other things:
-My novel is hardcore fantasy, so dragons and sea monsters are welcome! I encourage you to be as creative as possible and maybe even make a new species.
-Not every monster will be used, sorry. My novel is only so long and my characters can only fight some many monsters.
-If I use your monster, I may alter them slightly. This is so they fit perfectly into my novel the way I have it planned out.
-If I use your monster, you will get a mention at the beginning of the chapter your monster is in! :D

To help you out even more, here are the weapons my characters have(some have more than one obviously):
-Bow
-Sword
-Dagger
-Unicorn horn
-Ice magic
-Fire magic
-Item manipulation (ex. can pick up a sword with magic and throw it at the monster)
-Possibly another form of magic

I'm also going to provide you with a handy template(which you don't have to use but would be very helpful for organization) so you can see what kinds of things I'm looking for:
Code: Select all
[b]Species name[/b]
[b]Type of attack(s)[/b]
[b]Health[/b]
[b]Weakness[/b]
[b]Physical Description[/b]
[b]Anything else[/b]

If you need anything else, feel free to drop a comment down below! :D I would also love if you think I need another rule/template addition that you tell me that too. I look forward to reading your monsters!
Last edited by TheBlueCat on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:18 pm
View Likes
ellasnotebook says...

I love making up fantasy species so count me the heck in! Even if you don't use it, it's still a fun creative exercise so I thought I'd give it a whirl. (;

Species name Vinlings
Type of attack(s) They lash out with their tentacles which are covered in poison. While their attacks aren't very strong, their poison is what is really terrifying about them
Health Good. They grow extremely quickly, and infestations are common. The max number of Vinlings to have been found in one nest is 60.
Weakness Fire
Physical Description At a glance, Vinlings blend in with grass and leaves and appear to be nothing more than a patch of weeds. They're tall, and appear to be made out of a natural material. They blend it with the natural world, and their strange, leaf-like appearance makes it easy for them to blend in. They don't appear to have any eyes, or any real...body, but they do have several tentacles(amount depends on gender and size)which are easily distinguishable, especially when they're beating you against a tree with them. A nest can also connect tentacles and make a creature of disturbing size.
Anything else In the case that anyone ever lives past an encounter with the Vinlings, they should burn the body of it, or else they will regrow and start another infestation.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Since I'm proofreading your work, I may as well add a monster in! :D These are pretty fun to make, though I cheated by using a number generator and this as inspiration. But still, I altered a lot of stuff, and ended up with this. It's a bit atypical but could be interesting. Feel free to let me know if you want more; I'd be happy to do so 'cause they're pretty entertaining xD

Species name: Hexid

Type of attack(s): The Hexid are actually very smart, and all they want is information. To do this, they place their tentacles around the head of the victim's brain, and they are able to extract any information they want. They can also even inject small pieces of information into minds, making them potentially very dangerous. (Maybe in the past, they have been known to meddle with wars by trolling the humans with, quote-on-quote, "FAKE NEWS.") Usually, they gather information, then to avoid being killed, inject a memory or something that will not make the victim hurt it. If they want to be evil, they can "control" the person by persuading them to hurt themselves or their friends. If they are unable to use this 'psychic' ability, they can use a physical attack by biting with their sharp teeth. However, they are slow, and they tend to miss/not do much damage.

Health: Low. They're pretty easy to kill, but they're agile so you have to be quick and have good aim. And, you know, kill them before they get to your brain.

Weakness: Thick helmets, lol. Also, if they know they're going to lose the battle, they levitate/swim very fast away, so a ranged attack would have to defeat them.

Physical Description: It's like a small octopus, but has six tentacles instead of eight. It also camouflages (color-shifting) like a chameleon. There are two different species who breathe in different fluids, with one swimming water-borne and the other levitating airborne (obviously, 'air' is the gaseous fluid), though they are still virtually the same. The Hexid has one huge eye, and unfortunately, it does not camouflage, so sometimes an airborne Hexid look like a giant floating eyeball.

Anything else: It doesn't look like it has a mouth, until, you know, it opens its mouth. Then it reveals its scary-looking teeth. Also, like seahorses, they are genderless. They're also not inherently evil; they're on neutral ground, but could be swayed by the attitude of the person or the situation. Like, if the person attacks them, then they're evil towards person. But if the person wants them to be their friend, then they'll see them as their friend...but if there's some kind of info the Hexid wants from them, it won't care and eventually stab the person in the back lol
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

102 Reviews

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

Yay! Thank you @ellasnotebook and @Carina for your awesome input! :D
she/her please <3

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm
View Likes
LakeOfCancer says...

[b]Species name:[/b] Demonic Death Angel

[b]Type of attack(s):[/b] Can produce dark and light material out of both hands. The dark material kills you, the light heals you. Can use that material to create two swords, in desperate need, smashing them together to create an ultimate sword. Because it is part Demonic, it can transform into a demon and throw balls of fire at you when angered.

[b]Health:[/b] While it may high, it can be weakened if you have it heal you more than five times.

[b]Weakness:[/b] After healing someone five times, specifically the same person, they begin to take the injuries that person had or has. Depending on how severe the injury it is, it can be killed quicker.

[b]Physical Description:[/b] When in form, they are about 10 feet tall in height. They have black feathery wings that can easily turn into Demonic wings, making them black and burnt, when angered. Wears a special set of clothing to protect itself from certain injuries, does not protect them from a bullet, any strange magic, or any mind control. It wears a white tank top, like a regular person might wear. It wears Black bondage pants. The white represents the side of Heaven it was created from, and the Black represents the side of Hell it was created in. It usually has it's hair in a ponytail if it's a girl and cut shirt if it's a guy. When creating the swords and putting them behind their back, there's a slot for both swords attached to their backs, perfect for holding them. When creating the ultimate sword, there's a slot on the side of their hip, also a perfect for holding a sword. They wear Black boots, perfect for representing how much Death they cause on a regular basis.

[b]Anything else:[/b] They can turn into four forms, their human form, which can be a friend, a stranger, or someone random. The others are turning into the Demonic for, the Demonic Death Angel form, and of course, the Ultimate Demonic Death Angel, when in great need, or needs help, they take that form to summon more, showing that they have a beacon to tell them where the backup is.
If I had known I would die, I would've lived my life...

"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."

~Charlie Brown

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pm
Bellarke says...

One that looks like mike wisaousky!!! But taller!! And red!!
“Who we are and who we need to be to survive are very different things.”

~Bellamy Blake

102 Reviews

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:19 pm
TheBlueCat says...

Boosting this because I need more monsters as I'm planning out my novel!
she/her please <3

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:14 pm
View Likes
Baezel says...

*Thank you* for this, this looks great fun. I love thinking up things like this!

Species name: Formal: Fatidicus Medius Colloquially: Spirit Lemur

Type of attack(s): Releases a hallucinogenic sweat which evaporates into the air, contaminating their entire habitat. The lemurs use the confusion to attack, using only sharp teeth and claws, but there are great numbers of them which can overwhelm prey. Their teeth and claws are often covered in this hallucinogenic, and entering the bloodstream means it has a greater effect on the prey.

Health: While small and quite weak, they are fast and can climb trees. As they are social animals, killing one makes little difference because there are far more. I'd say as hard to kill as an apparently shape shifting cat.

Weakness They only attack small, weak and/or old groups. They are scared of fire and loud noises, as many wild animals, but there are obvious risks to staring a fire when you're high beyond all belief. Also, a scared animal won't necessarily leave you alone, but will sweat more.

Physical Description: That's quite difficult to describe, for obvious reasons. Between you and me, they are medium sized dark grey lemurs, with large eyes and red faces. Their claws and teeth are longer than other species of lemurs. Grooming is an important part of the social hierarchy, so they have few fleas.This also serves the purpose of spreading the sweat around. However, to everyone in this world, no one has a damn clue what they look like. I once saw a video put through Google's Deep Dream. The frog filmed lost it's shape, and became a static-y mess of eyes, which briefly turned into a dog's head, but only for a second before merging with the floor behind it into small car. I could guess where it's head was in reality, but on the video it was a seal's head, then something else, the eyes travelling around the face. It had tentacles for legs, I think, and the number of them changed every time it hopped. Now, imagine that, but the size and colour of it constantly changing, and instead of hopping slowly it's leaping from tree to tree, and there's twenty of them, and all the other creatures in this habitat which have developed an immunity to the sweat.

Anything else: Like most wild creatures, it just wants to get by and make babies. The reason these creatures are aggressive is because they lay their eggs (because fantasy lemurs can lay eggs) in corpses, as a rotten corpse is a great source of energy. So the floor of the rainforests they live in are covered in bodies, which you can't see, and small holes are dug into their bodies filled with leathery eggs, like a platypus'. Each lemur can lay about four eggs. The packs tend to be made up of more males and a few females, and a middle number of a neuter sex. The females are the highest in the hierarchy. Often the males will carry the young, which are very weak, and bring them to the females when they need to feed. The neuter sex doesn't contribute directly to the reproductive cycle, but produces milk. It will often be the one hunting, and will assist in defending the territory. The males often only attack if scared or threatened.

235 Reviews

Reviews: 235
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 am
View Likes
inktopus says...

Species name Delanocht
Type of attack(s) Her main attack is brute strength to hold down her victims. Then, she essentially gives them mouth to mouth and depletes their life force until the victim is dead.
Health Not much other than damaging their only human part will phase them. They could be physically overpowered or trapped, but the only way to kill them is to destroy the body part.
Weakness Their main weakness is a certain body part-- it's different on every monster. These monsters are created by using a ritual on a dead child's corpse, and all the spellcaster needs is a single body part. Usually a finger or eyeball, it's the only human part of the monster, and causing enough damage to it or removing it completely is the only way to completely vanquish it.
Physical Description Its true form is a young girl with completely blue eyes: no pupils or whites. Just blue. However, she can shapeshift into your biggest weakness (be that fear, loved ones, etc.) after she touches any part of her victim's body.

Anything Else Many are made from the same body, and they therefore look almost identical. They are most often created to guard something important. However, they're impractical to use as guards of fortresses or homes because they will attack any human on sight.
insert profound quote here

Formerly Stormcloud

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:20 am
View Likes
FantasyWriter76 says...

Species name: Restruct
Types of attacks: able to mimic objects appearances and properties through illusory means.
Health: Though it sounds intimidating, Restructs are utterly weak in the toughness department, Since they use illusory magic, a direct hit to its being could almost mean the end. But Restructs can regenerate, so don't be slow.
Weaknesses: Like stated, Restructs take tons of critical damage when hit directly and though they shapeshift, you can see the Restructs real body through its illusion.
Physical Appearance: A gas-like cloud with a maniacal face radiating through.
Anything else: I may use this idea in my story, The Bard's Ballad.

Wow, I had more fun doing this than I expected :D, have fun writing your novel, fellow writer!
“You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.” -Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
"Don't start things you can't finish." -Therion the Thief, Octopath Traveler

Art was made to be dangerous, that is why it is beautiful.

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 am
View Likes
Radrook says...

Species name

Blobobulous Plopalopagus

Type of attack(s)
If the wind is right, it will plop on your face and prevent breathing.

Health

Robustly healthy as long as it has someone to hate.

Weakness

Extremely allergic to being shown kindness. Will go into violent convulsions at the sound of any verbal offers of friendship or being provided with food shelter or medical attention.

Physical Description
Looks like an enormous red balloon lightly smeared with pink cotton candy.

Anything else

Depends on the wind to take it places. No wind means no movement. But that makes it stronger since it perceives it as an unkindness inflicted by nature.
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 pm
Necromancer14 says...

Species: Underlich

description: When an inherently evil person's soul is sacrificed to an underworld spirit on a full moon via dark magic, they will rise the next night as an Underlich, which is an undead creature, looks like a corpse, and has magic powers. It is completely evil, animated only with dark magic, and does not age. It will generally make it's home in graveyards, where it's magic is extra powerful. Also, they only care about one thing; eating souls. kind of like zombies with the whole "brains" thing, only much more capable, both physically and mentally. All their brain power is spent on trying to eat souls.

Attack: Generally, they will attack with inhuman strength and try to eat your soul, which they need to survive. they also are extremely powerful dark magic users.

Health: Can be killed around as easily as a human, (If you manage to defeat their protection spells and whatnot) but if injured, an Underlich will heal any injury in about two minutes. Also, unless the Underlich's sarcophagus is destroyed, it will simply regenerate it's health in around five days and respawn there.

Weakness: It's sarcophagus. If you destroy it's sarcophagus, it loses all it's magic and won't regenerate if killed. To destroy the sarcophagus, all you've gotta do is physically break it beyond recognition. (It's made of stone by the way)

Spoiler! :
Hehe, I know I'm totally copying a normal lich. However, there's a few differences, like how it originates.
Dumbledore: "Now, it's great that you've been saving the school and all Harry, but unfortunately your grades have been a tad low, and, well... perhaps Gandalf could explain it better... hit it, Gandalf!

Gandalf: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf