z

Young Writers Society

I'M GONNA BE DUCT TAPED TO A WALL!!!

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:47 am
Nagem says...

Interesting how this turned into a agrument on how you spell that word. Then again this IS the randomness topic so what more can ya expect?
I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. ~James Michener

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~Mark Twain

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:16 am
LamaLama says...

No, it got its start in WWII, american solders needed something waterproof, strong, and that can sustain stickage in high winds. They named it duck tape, because of its waterproof properties.

You'll notice that it is NOT used on duct work. Not in any house I've ever been in.
wikipedia wrote: It was originally developed during World War II in 1942 under the name "Duck Tape" as a waterproof sealing tape for ammunition cases.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:11 pm
David Guinness says...

EDIT: I see Lama has posted immediately before I.

And, yes Qi, it has been used on ductwork, quite often, actually.

I've now done three edits, so this whole post has cost me sixty points...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randomness... Actually, Dan, it was originally called duck tape. It was used in WWII by the military for making their vehicles and tires more water-proof. Then heating/cooling-duct servicemen started using it as duct tape after the War. And after that, the Duck Tape brand was created.

Ducks...and tape... Muah-ha-ha-ha...
David Guinness

52 Reviews

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:42 am
LamaLama says...

David Guinness wrote:EDIT: I see Lama has posted immediately before I.

Randomness... Actually, Dan, it was originally called duck tape. It was used in WWII by the military for making their vehicles and tires more water-proof. Then heating/cooling-duct servicemen started using it as duct tape after the War. And after that, the Duck Tape brand was created.

Yes, it has been, but nowadays (and I found this out recently) its against the building codes in most states.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:41 am
sabradan says...

David Guinness wrote:EDIT: I see Lama has posted immediately before I.

Maybe originally, yes. But the fact remains that the "real" name for it (not a nickname by GIs, who, lets face it, nickname EVERYTHING) is DUCT tape. The DUCK tape is a brand of DUCT tape.

And Qi, I hope you don't use wiki for your research for papers in college. While it is great and holds a wealth of knowledge, it is not always the most accurate or trustworthy of knowledge.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:53 pm
theluckyflower says...

You know, when I posted this, I did not expect to be told the history of duct/duck tape.

I recently had to turn in a report for my science class, the topic being duct tape and adhesives. I needed 4 resources. I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning wikipedia. It was a lifesaver (yum, strawberry . . . ) :D

Yeah, that's all . . . I'm still waiting for "duct tape practice" to be scheduled, so yeah . . . keep in touch . . .

***__THELUCKYFLOWER__***

52 Reviews

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:04 pm
LamaLama says...

It was NEVER Duct tape. Duct tape is a brand name, a specific company that produces it. Its always, and originally was duck tape.

Its common knowledge history. Unless you plan on using its military name, which, while not duck tape, certainly was not duct tape, since its usage on duct work didn't start until well after the war.

And no, I don't use wiki for my papers. I rarely use wiki for much of anything. I just did that to give you some kind of source to go by.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:34 am
theluckyflower says...

Alright! Today I went over to my team captain's house and practiced the duct tape thing. Yeah.

Instead of taping me to a wall like we were going to do, we thought up another thing: a duct tape support. So we practiced making a support on a table and lifted me on. And it worked!

Although I must admit it's not as cool looking as it would be if I was completely covered in silvery tape. But I am off the ground. I'm a head shorter then that guy in orange, so use your imagination to see how high off the ground I actually was.
Attachments
DSC00967.JPG
DSC00967.JPG (35.88 KiB) Viewed 251 times

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:20 am
Snoink says...

Oooo... clever! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard