289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:18 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

What is YWS: Survival?

Spoiler! :
YWS Survival is a turn based fantasy side-scroller. Until the players decide to dig down or fly. In it, you must slay monsters and generally avoid dying. Also, other synonyms of surviving. Epic quests to save the world might also happen.

It's cool because I draw the things. The attachment is what the first slide is like, before any of the players spawn.

How does it work?

Spoiler! :
players can take up to one move action and up to one action in their turn (post), eg

: walk to the tree
:: begin cutting it for wood

they also get any number of free actions, like dialogue or drawing a weapon. An example of a more complex turn would be

- "Get the goblins!"
- draw sword
: move to first goblin
:: whack it

if an action is continuous, eg ::begin to build house, it will take a number of turns established undemocratically by me.
Any other player can help with this action. For each player helping, a turn is knocked off the construction time.

A day lasts 12 turns. Players gain 1 xp each day they survive. You reach lv 2 at 5 xp. Further leveling is calculated this way: character level + 5. You respawn at death, but lose your inventory and 1 xp. I may sometimes arbitrarily award xp bonuses.

Night is bad. Monsters prowl at night. They get the same number of actions as the players. Hostile NPCs will have their name indicated in red. Your first priority will be obtaining shelter and tools.

On entering the game, you may choose what race to play as by filling out the following template.

Race Name:
Magical or Non:
Traits:

keep it short and sweet. Traits should be brief physical descriptions.

Don’t worry about getting too specific, I’ll decide how the traits you provide translate in-game. Same with the talents, you give me an indication of what you want, and I’ll do the rest.

Race goes by first come first serve. If you like somebody else's race, feel free to use it. Your first talent will be unique regardless. I will be providing some races below, but you’re free to make up your own.

Stats

You won't actually have to deal with numbers playing this game. That's for me to do. But in case you are interested:

Players and monsters alike have stats. These are:

Strength
Speed
Hardiness
Charisma;

Strength influences how much damage you deal, weight you can carry (your inventory size) and so forth. High strength means more damage, and you can carry more.

Speed is how fast you move. High speed means you act first in combat and can move further in a turn.

Hardiness is how much damage you can take, your HP, basically. High hardiness also means more resistance to poison and adverse elements.

Charisma influences your success rate when asking for information, bluffing, resorting to diplomacy etc.

Inventory

You spawn with a magic backpack that lets you hold 10 items that could fit in it. You also get to have a sheathed weapon and a shield on your person.

Hunger

If you do not consume food after your first night, you will begin to go hungry, and take penalties. Increased Hardiness mitigates that.

Crafting

To craft an item, as well as possessing the materials, you must know its Scheme. Schemes can be traded for with some NPCs, or looted. Crafting classes, such as Alchemist and Blacksmith, spawn with certain Schemes memorized.

Flavor Text

Spoiler! :
Cabryae has fallen under a dark spell.

Centuries ago, the nation had a great ruler, the human Starke. He faced a grave peril: a group of rebellious sorcerers, the Abyssal Mages, challenged his authority. They threatened to take over the land. Starke gathered an alliance of the most represented terrestrial races to combat this danger: with the elf regent Glissa, the elemental Quinto, the dwarf king Cromir, the vampire autocrat Drana, and the orc Grom, he hoped to defeat the Mages. From the celestial realm above, the Archangel Samael lent their troops.

They faced not only the Abyssal Mages, but also the treacherous goblins and the other races allied with the AByss: the witches, the rogue elementals, the fae. The Abyss below also sent its demons to fight. There was a great battle. While Starke and his alliance emerged victorious, the six rulers never returned from the Gloom Plains, the Abyssal stronghold. Starke’s empire collapsed, and countless fiefs emerged.

Now, his former territories face a new threat. The dead are restless. They rise to profane the living. Baron Bran, ruler of Goldmeadow, one of the most influential fief, has called for a group of adventurers to deal with this threat. You are these adventurers. Suspecting the goblins, the party is dropped off somewhere near the Blackleaf Marsh, and told to deal with it.

The Races

Spoiler! :
Once again, not the only races available. We can work anything you'd like out. These are the six dominant terrestrial races (+ angels) that are also friendly.

Humans: average physically, but crafty and intelligent. They don’t get stat bonuses, but have two talents at lv 1. They’re also the only race that can specialize into classes like Alchemist, Engineer, Warrior etc.

Angels: fast, but not strong, angels, inhabit the celestial realm above. They trade offensive prowess for healing powers.

Elves: fast but not hardy, elves have heightened senses. They’re not seen favorably among humans. An elf’s best friend is another elf. They’re organized in a republic, and value freedom.

Elementals: the spirits of nature: Dryads, the spirits of the forest; Hamadryads, the spirits of the mightiest oaks, Nymphs; the spirits of the rivers; Nereids, the spirits of the oceans; Igni, the spirits of fire; and Gales, the spirits of the wind. Their magic is strongly influenced by their environment. Their ruler is the elemental recognized as most powerful, who can combine all four elements. One such elemental has not been seen since Quinto.

Dwarves: hardy but slow, dwarves respect elves, get along well with humans, but fear vampires. Their greatest talent is Scheming, the art of constructing things. At lv 1 they begin knowing the Schemes for basic tools. They’re organized as a timocracy: the richest dwarf is elected king.

Vampires: Powerful, fast and charismatic, vampires would be the supreme race... were it not for their hatred of sunlight and weakness to garlic. Low level vampires only suffer from the weakness to sunlight (which is total, even if they are in the shade). Strong vampires learn how to regenerate their health by draining the life force of others, but they become addicted. Generally not good at parties. Their lands are in constant anarchy. The vampire that can quell the other squabbling lords becomes their autocrat.

Orcs: Orcs have enhanced physical strength, but not the brightest intellect, though wise and honorable. Their great physique comes at a cost, however: the constant need for sustenance. Orcs suffer hunger more than any other race. They’re organized in clans up in the mountains.

Monsters

Spoiler! :
The things you'll be killing. This spoiler contains the common ones in the area you're in currently. It will be updated periodically.

Goblins

numerous, but not very strong. These green-skinned creatures inhabit most places. Their stronghold is in the Blackleaf Marsh, to the far west. They come in various different types and flavor. They all enjoy explosions.

Dangerous beasts

Wolves, bears, furious honey badgers, the wilderness of Cabryae thrums with claws and fangs. Most large animals are a challenge for even a seasoned party of adventurers. Druids and rangers can use their Charisma to communicate with them.

Zombies

Born of corpses and animated by foul magic, these monsters only come out at night. Their power depends on who they were pre mortem. Magical goblins so far have not been observed. Celestial beings also appear to be immune to this curse. They hate sunlight, and move sluggishly.

Skeletons

Zombies of immense willpower that have survived a full day. Their flesh is burnt away, so they aren’t slow. Their heightened memory allows them to remember how to use weapons and perform basic operations like opening doors and climbing up stairs.

Shameless Plugging

people who already have a character reserved

Spoiler! :
@Auxiira has a vampire
@Lumi has a human warrior
@BiscuitsBatchAvoy has an elf
@lostthought has an angel

people who I think might be interested

Spoiler! :
@Deanie @captainearth @fortis @Holysocks @TheScratchedAcoustic @Craz @Alpha @Meandbooks @AriaAdams @Rydia @Nutty @ShadowVyper @megsug
Attachments
1.png
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:31 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

:::Spawn Human Warrior

L u m I
Race Name: Human
Magical or Non: Non-Magical
Traits: Warrior
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:21 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

:::Spawn Vampire

A u x i i r A
Race Name: Vampire
Magical or Non: Magical
Traits: Dislikes sunlight
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:41 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

:::Spawn Human

M o r r i g a N
Race Name: Human
Traits: Shapeshifter Ranger
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:28 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

:::Spawn Elf

B i s c u i t S
Race Name: Elf
Traits: Fast, good hearing, sharp eyesight

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

:::Spawn Elemental

R e i s E
Race Name: Gale
Traits: Sneaky
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:02 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

:::Spawn Elemental

M e a
Race Name: Dryad
Traits: Agile, charming
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:22 pm
View Likes
queerelves says...

:::Spawn Elf

Queerelves/Seb

Traits: Fast, frail
Last edited by queerelves on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:29 pm
View Likes
Tuesday says...

::Spawn Elf

Tuesday

Traits : Smart and Fast
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:46 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

:::Spawn Angel

S p i r i T
Race Name: Angel
Traits: Gentle, Clever
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

:::Spawn Angel

L o s T

Race name: Angel
Traits: Fast, Hungry
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:36 am
View Likes
Caesar says...

The players have spawned! To anyone else, you can jump in Survival at any point in time. We are by no means closed.

Protip for you guys: obtain food. Also, if you want to be nice to me, avoid going 5 different directions. Splitting up into like two groups is fine, but more makes my head hurt. Thaaank youu.

You each take your turn once. You can take your turn again once everyone has posted.

Spoiler! :
@Lumi spawns with a sword and shield. Memorized, you know the Schemes for a sword and a shield. Your talents are:

Talent 1

Weapon Proficiency -- Sword and Shield: if you input the command ::block, enemies will have to go through your shield to hit you. Additionally, if you block, you are able to counterattack. However, with your guard up, your movement speed is reduced.

Talent 2

Provoke -- enemies in sight of the provocation aggro to you. Can be used as a free action in combat.

@Auxiira spawns with an umbrella. It has a spike. Probably unfriendly. Your talent is:

Aversion to sunlight: drastically reduced strength, speed and charisma at day.

@Morrigan spawns with a scimitar. In your inventory, you have a small bag of bird feed. Your talents are:

Talent 1

Form of the Magpie: You can shift into a magpie once a day. You can stay in this form for as long as you like, but you must consume extra food each turn you stay as a magpie or suffer penalties.

Talent 2

Speak with Birds: Even in human form, you can use your Charisma to speak with birds. You may convince them to take one action that doesn’t put them in danger. You may also spend an entire turn to make them friendly (provided you have tasty feed). A friendly bird will stick around for longer.

@BiscuitsBatchAvoy spawns with a longbow and a quiver of twenty arrows. Memorized, you have the Schemes for a longbow and arrows. Your talent is:

Talent 1

Improved Senses: enhanced hearing, enhanced eyesight means greater accuracy.

@ReisePiecey spawns. Gale elementals can make ranged and melee wind attacks if unarmed. Your talent is:

Talent 1

Sirocco: Your body dissolves into a slow wind. You can control what direction you move in. You can’t damage in this form, but you are immune to physical attacks. You can pass through to any place a gust of wind could reasonably blow through. Cooldown time of 10 posts.

@Meandbooks spawns. Your talent is:

Burnwillow: you channel your soul to set yourself ablaze, dealing moderate damage to an enemy and great damage to yourself. An undead that dies this way can’t be regenerated. No cooldown time.

@queerelves spawns as Seb, with a staff. You are able to distinguish common poisonous plants from non. Your talent is:

Talent 1

Golden Hind’s Blessing: until your next turn, party members become slightly faster. Cooldown time of a full turn cycle.

@Tuesday spawns with a dagger. Memorized, you know the Scheme for the basic knife. Your talent is:

Talent 1

Combat Senses: You are more aware of the battle around you, making you harder to hit. Your keen eyes allow you to exploit the enemy’s mistakes efficiently.

@SpiritedWolfe spawns. Your talent is:

Flame of the Seraph: Target ally recovers a moderate amount of HP. They gain the ability to have up to two other allies recover a smaller amount of HP once. Cooldown time is one full turn cycle.

@lostthought spawns. Your talent is:

Talent 1

Minor Healing Ward -- on your respective turns, you and allies around you recover a small amount of HP until your next turn. You must rest for a full turn cycle before using this ability again.
Attachments
1.1.png
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:57 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

: Charge nearest tree
:: Slam tree with shield
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:36 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

: Approach tree on the far right
:: Climb
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:40 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

: Walk to second tree from the right
:: Climb
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory