z

Young Writers Society

Your Scientific Theory

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 pm
MarbleToast says...

Scientific theorists of YWS, publish your scien-terrific (heh) theories here!

THE MARBLE EFFECT

The psychological effect when a subject is talking through a means of Internet communications, and as they are typing a new message, they are notified that the other (or another) partaker in the communication is also typing a new message.

Characteristics include:
Mild panic
Waiting
Removal of message
Dreams sprout tall so beautiful
to wither and fall off
Old and dusty, creaky and rough
This clockwork will not rest

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:05 am
Zolen says...

The looping universe Hypothesis

If you actually learned newtons 3 laws, not just were told about them you might know a few things like:

Energy can not be created, nor destroyed, only changed from one form to another.

A object is in motion it will stay in motion unless a outside momentum is applied to it.

The universe is a perfectly closed system.

A error in logic, there is no perfect system. Consistency is one thing, but perfection is not in the nature of our universe. Possible alternative to this data is that energy is escaping our universe, and as our understanding of energy implies there are plenty of universes that are also dumping energy from flaws in their net into our universe. Creating a loop of matter and energy that keeps things stable. While it might risk the integrity of the universe if done too much, we should thus be able to jump between universes.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:49 am
Astronaut says...

Wait, who says there can't be a perfect system?
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

110 Reviews

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:08 pm
Zolen says...

Our science is at its core, the observation of things, we judging based on their consistency creating a hypothesis and then trying to find as many holes in it as we can, if we don't find any (or at least that is the one with the least number of holes out a many possibilities), we call it a theory. We have never observed a perfectly closed system in any form. Thus its better to assume the universe is not perfectly closed, rather then claim it is.

46 Reviews

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:51 am
Astronaut says...

Alright, it makes sense that there are no perfectly closed systems in the universe, but the opposite does make some sense.

Spoiler! :

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am
Dracula says...

On Time Travel...

Many people ask why we haven't seen time travellers from the future. This is my theory.

Imagine what we would do to someone from the future. They would be bombarded with questions, they'd never get a peaceful night's sleep. They couldn't walk anywhere without someone taking their photo, or begging them for answers. If they looked or acted even a little bit different, scientists would want skin samples, one scientist might even go so far as to try and dissect them.

It would literally be rule number one in the 'Travel Time Safely Handbook' to never reveal your true identity. You would come and go without being noticed, taking what you need but not letting it be missed, seeing what you have to see without being seen. You'd be an idiot to let people from the past know that you have knowledge of future sports results, world conflicts, elections, medical breakthroughs and everything else. It's that simple.

If you still don't believe me then watch the original Planet of the Apes movies and you'll understand.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

46 Reviews

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:33 pm
Astronaut says...

@Dracula Your signature made that even better.

Spoiler! :

110 Reviews

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 pm
Zolen says...

hmmm, in reaction to your claim. I ask which form of logic are you following.

This sort of thing:

Where the various futures are based on various results where time splits based on the actions of the many people in this and any other world.

This kind:

Where rather then traveling through time as we see it, you travel through alternate universes, where the same earth comes into existence, the same choices, the same everything, but your time is a bit ahead so you end up showing up in what is basically the past.

Or: (this one I have no picture for) The unierse is endlessly repeating as it expands, and if you were to go far enough you would come upon a repeat of our planet, same conditions and everything, but made much earlier.

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson