z

Young Writers Society

Do You Believe In Faeries?

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:42 am
Dracula says...

My end of year English project is on the topic Why Faeries Are Real. I'll be collecting a whole lot of evidence (and evidence against, which I'll put down. :wink:) and then I'll write an article on it.

I'd love it if you guys could answer the question for me and I'll use your replies in my project. Thank you minions! :D

Please keep in mind that I'm not talking about Tinkerbell when I say faeries. The word covers a whole range of supernatural creatures such as kelpies, leprechauns and boggarts.

Do you believe in faeries???
Say yes or no and then give reasons.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:19 pm
Dracula says...

C'mon guys! Help me out here!
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:49 pm
View Likes
AdmiralKat says...

They are fake along with Santa and the Easter Bunny.
Whale. Whale. Whale. What do we have here?
Some scurvy dog looking at my post, eh?

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:33 pm
View Likes
dragonfphoenix says...

I DO believe in fairies!

It depends entirely upon one's definition of reality. At its basest level, faeries (including elves, goblins, leprechauns, trolls, boggarts, brownies, etc.) are real in the sense that the idea of them exists. You can easily picture them in your mind, and they exist in the reality of your imagination. We have books, paintings, movies, etc., depicting these creatures. We 'know' what they are. There is a plethora of 'evidence,' in this sense, for their existence.

From a philosophic standpoint, you can neither prove nor disprove something's existence by a lack of proof for it. That is, if someone says faeries aren't real because "no one (reliable) has ever seen one" or "you can't go out and touch a living one" or some other empirical rubbish, the opposite can be said to prove their existence. "Fine, then, show me how they can't possibly exist!!!" and on the debate goes.

A note on the empiricism: the belief or proposition that what cannot be sensed does not exist is absolute nonsense. Such a position, whenever argued from, actually ends up shooting itself in the foot from the very fact that a) one's senses can be deceived and therefore are not reliable means of perception, b) one can only prove one's own existence to oneself (the famous "I think, therefore I am"), and c) discounts the existence of logic and reason, the very foundation of empiricism. (It also banishes imagination and creativity to the realms of non-existence as well, but that's another matter.)

TL;DR
Faeries cannot be proved or disproved from a lack of evidence for them. They do exist in the hearts and imaginations of people across time and space, and so in a sense they are real. Anyone who argues that no evidence means no existence must answer with evidence that definitively says something cannot exist, which at this point in the debate does not exist (and probably never will).
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:01 pm
r4p17 says...

I kind of agree with Dragon here on this one, though I would also argue that there is no evidence for their physical existence except for in fictional stories. The same goes for all other mythical creatures and aliens.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:05 pm
Zolen says...

I believe in icecream faeries
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx