z

Young Writers Society

You learn something new every day

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:33 am
LamaLama says...

Dick Chaney is from Lincoln Nebraska, which is news to me, being a Nebraskan. We're almost ashamed of him. (him and Gerald Ford, not because ford was bad, but because he was clumsy)
Not only that, but Cheney was in Die Hard 3 as an uncredited police official.

Fred Astaire was also from Nebraska, but the much cooler and better city of Omaha.

Jim Fitzpatrick, who had a recurring role on Enterpise (latest Star Trek seriese) is from Bellevue Nebraska, specifically Offut Air Force Base. (The base where Air Force One makes home when the president doesn't need to use one of them... there are three)

Nick Nolte and Jackie Robinson were both born under the big red sky.
(ok, so Robinson only went to college in NE, but we were proud to have him! and that DOES make him a cornhusker for life.)

L. Ron Hubbard is from Tilsdale... thats right, the father of Scientology and Dianetics is, at heart Cornhusker.

Harold Lloyd was, in his day, from the cornfed state, though I doubt many even know of him.

So I propose a game, excluding the state of California, for obvious reasons, and New York (for less obvious reasons) what nationaly known person is from your home town? (or very near to it?)
Last edited by LamaLama on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:39 am
Trident says...

Harry Houdini was from Wisconsin.
Perception is everything.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:46 am
Doctor Kitty says...

GEORGE DUBYA BUSH

52 Reviews

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:49 am
LamaLama says...

Texes eh? Then you've also got Gary Busey- now your up to TWO people I'd be ashamed to know.

:P

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

Reviews: 0
Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:50 am
Ryuichi says...

Ryu has one!
Brian Hugh Warner(aka Marilyn Manson) was born on January 5, 1969 in Canton, Ohio. He also attended a private school until high school.
"When all your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed."-Mr. Marilyn

52 Reviews

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:44 am
LamaLama says...

The movies Natrual Born Killers and Badlands were based on the exploits of a Nebraska native, Charles Starkweather. As well as Bruice Springsting's song "Nebraska" Who, coincidentally, has an entire album by the same name.

Larry the Cable Guy is from a town near Lincoln.
Wild Bill Tucker, AKA Hicock, was a Nebraskan for Life.
Malcom X, like Gerald Ford, is an Omaha native, but also like Ford, left by the age of 3.
Father Flanagan, founder of Boys town (now Girls and Boys town) is, and started the youth help organization in NE.
Hilary Swank isn't as dumb as she looks. She's 100% corn fed. So is Paula Zahn (A CNN corrispondant) and Marlin Brando.

And Robert Redford's son, although not from Nebraska, did live at the Universty of Nebraska Medical Center for some time in the early 90's battling liver and bile problems. Which says something for the UNMC (where my sister used to work doing HIV research.)

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:23 pm
Galatea says...

Tom Cruise has a home in Breckenridge, CO.

Colorado is the only state in history, to turn down the Olympics. In 1976 the Winter Olympics were planned to be held in Denver. 62% of all state Voters choose at almost the last minute not to host the Olympics, because of the cost, pollution and population boom it would have on the State Of Colorado, and the City of Denver.

Denver lays claim to the invention of the cheeseburger. The trademark for the name Cheeseburger was awarded in 1935 to Louis Ballast.

Katherine Lee Bates wrote
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:26 pm
Skye says...

Uh... the film Groundhog Day was filmed in my town, which is NOT in Pennsylvania, by the way.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:41 pm
Teeeeo. says...

We had weird things...

Prince was born in Minneapolis

That one 'Jingle All the Way' movie with Arnold Schwarz-en-what's-it was filmed in Downtown St. Paul... (w00t! Not.)

I can't member much else...

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:54 pm
Ani May Queen says...

Jane Addams - social worker
Cindy Crawford - model
Richard J. Daley - mayor
Harrison Ford - actor
Ernest Hemingway - author
Carl Sandburg - poet
Ronald Reagan - U.S. president
Walt Disney - Title Please?

Have you figured out where I'm from yet? Here's some easier ones...

Abraham Lincoln - U.S. president
Al Capone - Gangstar/mobster
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:11 am
deleted6 says...

Unity Mitford died in Oban West highland Cottage Hospital that right the Girl who was on all Nazi Recruiting posters.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

Reviews: 0
Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:15 am
Ryuichi says...

Elvis was a natural blonde...that's all.
"When all your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed."-Mr. Marilyn

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:10 am
Teeeeo. says...

Ani May Queen wrote:Jane Addams - social worker
Cindy Crawford - model
Richard J. Daley - mayor
Harrison Ford - actor
Ernest Hemingway - author
Carl Sandburg - poet
Ronald Reagan - U.S. president
Walt Disney - Title Please?

Have you figured out where I'm from yet? Here's some easier ones...

Abraham Lincoln - U.S. president
Al Capone - Gangstar/mobster

ILLINOIS! I could tell from the Jane Addams thing, I did my National History Day project on her, and she was born in Cedarville, ILLINOIS! *w00ts*

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:10 am
Crysi says...

I'm related to Abraham Lincoln.

But since I'm in Cali, I'm not allowed to participate. *pouts*
Love and Light

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:15 am
Sam says...

Really? Another Lincolnite? *hugs Dick Cheney*

But honestly- generalizations are awful. Gerald Ford was not a klutz, he was an athelete. He merely tripped getting off a plane once...and know he is the much esteemed Past Klutz of America.

So! Research before you blurt...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown