z

Young Writers Society

writers & bipolar/depression

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:14 pm
AstrangedbeaR says...

So i as browsing through wikipedia yesterday, and thought i'd browse through personality disorders. i came across "bipolar" and read this...

Many artists, musicians, and writers have experienced its mood swings, and some credit the condition for their creativity. Kay Redfield Jamison, who herself has bipolar disorder and is considered a leading expert on the disease, has written several books that explore this idea, including Touched with Fire. Research indicates that while mania may contribute to creativity (see Andreasen, 1988), hypomanic phases experienced in bipolar I, II and in cyclothymia appear to have the greatest contribution in creativity (see Richards, 1988). This is perhaps due to the distress and impairment associated with full-blown mania, which may be preceded by symptoms of hypomania (i.e. increased energy, confidence, activity) but soon spirals into a state much too debilitating to allow creative endeavor.

Some writers may already know this, however i've just stumbled upon it the fact its more likely in writers than ordinary individuals

Noted writers who suffer from bipolar disorder
stephen fry
carrie fisher
charles dickens
vincent van gogh (sp?)
ernest hemingway
virgina woolf (cause her suicide)

Is anyone here bipolar? or suffer from depression? or any other personality disorder?

if they do, please speak...it would be nice to discuss...
*AstrangedbeaR*

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:23 pm
Sureal says...

Paranoid depression is present in my familly. I sometimes show signs of mild paranoia. I sometimes check for cameras or listening devices (usually behind mirrors) - I never thought much of it until my gran developed paranoid depression and started claiming that the nurses were hiding listening devices in her room...

Oh, and one of my brothers and I both show signs of mild OCD (although I've can surpress it easily enough).
I wrote the above just for you.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 pm
LamaLama says...

Ahem- Carrie Fisher suffers from an illicit drug addition.

And Dickens isn't currently suffering from anything. Nor are most of the people on your list.

There. I'm done.

EDIT: Nevermind, no I'm not.

How many thousands upon thousands of writers AREN'T bipolar?
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:01 pm
Galatea says...

oooh! Bipolar I right here baby!

It's nothing I'm proud of. Mostly I take meds to make it go away.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:22 pm
Zion says...

Mild depression :D and yeah...bipolar. But I dont take medications. I deal with it as it already is. I dont belive that there is a treatment for bipolar disorder in macedonia.

on a another note, guys i missed you SO much! *hugs*
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:37 pm
Dream Deep says...

Ack. Mild depression sometimes, but don't we all get a bit depressed on occaisions? ^_^ All I can do really is try to look at things with a different perspective and have confidence that things will eventually look up. Though I have to say, a combination of obsession at the piano and obsession on the page can hardly be beneficial... :wink:

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead