z

Young Writers Society

New Studio Ghibli Film. Worth the Watch!

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:38 pm
View Likes
eviehoward says...

So I was skeptical about From Up On Poppy Hill because it was Miyazaki's son and his previous film Tales From Earthsea was undeniably the biggest Ghibli flop.

I had the pleasure of seeing this nearly as soon as the English Dub was released and was surprised that Goro Miyazaki has gotten his act together and put some effort to continue his father's legacy. His father is the man who brought us Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle, not to mention Anime classics such as My Neighbour Totoro and Princess Mononoke.

This anime is set in the 60's and is based around a High School girl who puts up signal flags everyday in the hope that her father will come home. She looks after her family's boarding house and her siblings, all the while going to school. It's all about her life when she finds out that a boy likes her and the troubles it causes. It isn't the best Ghibli but it is a decent attempt .

I would recommend to anyone who loves Ghibli. Of course we all are hoping Papa Miyazaki lives out another 20 Ghibli films so we can have more wonderful films in our lives.
“Books loved anyone who opened them, they gave you secruity and friendship and didn't ask for anything in return; they never went away, never, not even when you treated them badly. ”
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 am
birk says...

Well, Hayao Miyazaki himself finally has a new film out, and it's supposedly his last one, as he is retiring.

It seems a bit more mature than some of his other works, but it sure looks amazing.
Can't wait to see it!

The Wind Rises (Kaze Tachinu) trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhHoCnRg1Yw
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Random avatar

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 pm
eviehoward says...

Miyazaki always says he is retiring. He said it after Spirited Away and that was in 2001! The film looks amazing though. Can't wait for it to be available in the UK
“Books loved anyone who opened them, they gave you secruity and friendship and didn't ask for anything in return; they never went away, never, not even when you treated them badly. ”

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm
birk says...

Well yes, he has said that several times. But he is getting old now.

I'm buying it.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Random avatar

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:17 am
eviehoward says...

He won't fully retire. He will always help his son with his projects.

I know he has announced his retirement, but I'm sure he will still be active in the production of Studio Ghibli films. :)

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest