Book Review: The Name of the Wind

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Mon May 27, 2013 3:00 am
Rook says...

Closer.
That's right, come closer.
Yes, yes, sit down, make yourself comfortable. Make sure nothing uncomfortable is poking into your back. If you have t use the facilities, use them now. Maybe grab a snack or two. I'll just wait here...
Done? Then let's get started!

I've decided to review my absolute FAVORITE book for the Reader's games. (Official YWS Contest: The 1st Annual Reader Games!) (I would like to enter the Jupiter Arena)
It is called The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

You might find the book lying around your library, and perhaps you might take an interest in it. You might say to yourself either:

"Wow! A 662 page book! Finally something I can spend a long time enjoying!" And I'd say you're dead wrong. I read that book in 3 school days WITH finals it was so good.

or you might say:
"Ew this book is too long. I can't read something 662 pages long! I'd die of boredom!" And again, I would say that you were wrong.

The Name of the Wind may seem long (its sequel, A Wise Man's Fear, is even longer with around 1000 pages) but it is a thrilling read.
:pirate2: (<that's you) "But ALL the books say they're thrilling! You can't just say it's thrilling, that's like, saying a puppy is cute but not showing any pictures!"
8) (<that's me) "Fine, I will prove it. Classical style. In dance-battle format. Erm, I mean, in summarizing."

Kvothe (pronounced nearly the same as Quothe) is one of the Edema Ruh, a troupe of traveling performers. Kvothe is a very talented musician and he is Extremely smart. During the time he travels with the Edema Ruh, (he is a mere child) an arcanist called Abenthy begins teaching Kvothe the art of Sympathy, which is kind of like magic, but it allows the user (called an arcanist when they graduate from the university where they teach this lost art) to join two similar objects.

:pirate2: "This makes no sense at all!"
8) "I know, I think I'm reaching too deep into the plot. It really packed a LOT into those 662 pages! Let me try again."

Kvothe's childhood is where he is exposed to sympathy (magic). He travels with his family in a performing troupe until the Chandrian kill his entire family. The Chandrian are evil beings with evil and powerful powers that most people don't speak of, but don't really believe they are real. Kvothe is now on his own with nothing but a lute to his name. He goes and begs at this one town and learns a lot what it is like to be penniless and alone. He makes a couple friends and discovers that his dream is to go to the University, a place where they have an ENORMOUS library (so he can find out more about the Chandrian, he is quite curious about them) and where they teach sympathy (again, magic). Kvothe makes just enough money begging on the streets to hitch a ride to the University. On the way there, he meets the main love interest of the story, Denna. She'll pop up later, but until then, we can forget about her.
Kvothe makes it to the university with nothing (not even a lute) but the clothes on his back. He knows he will have to pay tuition. When he goes in for "auditions" he is so smart and clever that he actually gets tuition for NEGATIVE three of their currency (which is quite confusing). He gets paid initially to go to school there! That is how smart Kvothe is. He takes classes and makes friends and gets into trouble. He works a little and takes out a few loans to a scary blood loaner who's also an innocent-looking girl. He buys another lute, plays at the local music hall and blows everyone away with his skill that he learned when he was part of the performing troupe. At the local music hall, he meets Denna again, this time going by a different name. he continues to run into her during the story.
A whole lot of amazing stuff happens, but I can't explain it all here without just reciting the entire book. There is Romance! There is Action! There is Mystery! There is Fantasy! There is Logic! There is a Satisfying Plot! There is a sequel and a soon-to-be-published third book! There is humor and wit! This book has EVERYTHING I SWEAR IT!

:pirate2: "still not convinced."
8) "What else do you WANT from me?!" *falls to the floor sobbing*
:pirate2: "What about themes?"
8) "Do you really care? A book this long has literally ALL the themes you can have! don't love too much, don't love too little, don't let your friends influence you, be careful with your money! Don't give you blood to strangers, Try not to call people names in public, Never give up! It has EVERYTHING."
:pirate2: "hm. I guess I didn't care."
8) "This book is sooooo Good. I don't know how I can express it, but I've read hundreds of books, maybe even thousands (I read a LOT) and this, of all those books, is my favorite. And I have pretty good taste, If I do say so myself."
:pirate2: "okay."
8) *uses the force* "You will go and check out The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss from your library as soon as you can."
:pirate2:"I will go and check out The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss from my library as soon as I can."
8) "good, good. I think we are done here. Thank you for reading that really long review. Oh, I give this book an 11 out 10, I give it 5 stars and I give it an OUTSTANDING! sticker." Here's the wiki page if you want to read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Name_of_the_Wind
here's Patrick Rothfuss's official website: http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp

I hope you love this book as much as I do!"

~Fin

Spoiler! :
I think you're awesome.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle